Gransnet forums

Chat

canany one translate French?

(64 Posts)
infoman Mon 10-Aug-20 07:19:26

comme versant
translates on the google translation "as a slope"
would anyone know its actual translation?
Thanks in advance

silverlining48 Wed 12-Aug-20 14:43:06

Yes I only noticed the other books after I took the photo .......the novels are on the bottom shelf.
The Mosel is lovely certainly. Not far from the Rhein but less visited, certainly by the British, who if they go to Germany at all, seem to stick with the Rhein which is lovely too of course but there are so many other beautiful places to visit. Germans generally like the British and have always made us feel very welcome.

Ellianne Wed 12-Aug-20 14:46:52

The wines from the area are nice too, silverlining.
I'm a bit embarrassed by the big red books up one end of my bookshelf!

Ellianne Wed 12-Aug-20 14:49:04

Hmm.

Fennel Wed 12-Aug-20 17:07:45

I follow the local newspaper from where we lived every day.
I like to read the comments on the articles to appreciate the language, eg the second one on this one
www.ladepeche.fr/2020/08/11/explosion-des-demandes-de-tests-pour-le-laboratoire-synlab-gascogne-9015205.ph
with which I agree 100%
Not an encouraging photo.

Fennel Wed 12-Aug-20 17:09:20

ps sorry the link doesn't seem to work.

silverlining48 Wed 12-Aug-20 20:04:10

No need for embarrassment Ellianne, we all have our hobbies.. wine

WayneJohnson Wed 24-Aug-22 20:41:48

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 24-Aug-22 20:48:39

Reported.

Grannmarie Wed 24-Aug-22 20:57:15

This reminds me of High School French class. A friend asked our teacher if she could translate this phrase...
Pas d'elle yeux Rhone que nous....

Esmay Wed 24-Aug-22 21:06:47

It's hard to make sense of an isolated expression .
But -
isn't he being asked if his profession is a businessman /salesman ?
Subtitles aren't always correct / accurate .

Oldnproud Wed 24-Aug-22 21:15:25

Lucca

For language teachers....google translate came after the slavish use of a small dictionary by some students. I have two corkers to relate. (Question in French what do you do in your free time?)
“J’aime jouer aux intestines”

(What do you wear for footy training? Question in German)
“Ich trage mein Manchester United Schottenrock”

Prizes of an estimated A*. For those who work out what they meant and what went wrong.

My guess for the first of those: I like playing bowls (bowels)?

Oldnproud Wed 24-Aug-22 21:20:53

Thanks to the little blue French dictionary, my mum once tried to buy an elastic orchestra to tie my hair back with!

dustyangel Wed 24-Aug-22 21:33:03

About 30 years ago my doctor in England told me that he and his friend couldn’t work out why everyone fell about laughing when they asked for some jam with their morning toast. Possibly in Spain , can’t remember which country, they eventually found out that instead of the jam they wanted to spread on their toast, they were asking for a traffic jam.