Gransnet forums

Chat

It’s 41 degrees in the shade!

(145 Posts)
Bluebellwould Tue 11-Aug-20 17:28:13

Just that it is so hot here, it’s cruel and if a weather person says it’s great weather I’m going to punch them right on the nose!

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 18:21:44

That'll do fine for me, although 26 is pushing it a bit.

TerriBull Tue 11-Aug-20 18:40:25

It's just horribly hot, I can't exist without a fan, my feet swell up in the heat sad Lots of mad people swimming in the Thames where I live, it's a dirty old river in parts, full of rats shock but they're desperate I guess, got to cool off somehow. I hope this run breaks soon and the temperature drops back to somewhere below 25 degrees.

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 18:42:22

I find the intensity quite frightening.

BlueSky Tue 11-Aug-20 18:51:41

I've always loved summer, sun and heat never bothered me. Now not sure whether it's to do with age and/or medication, I just can't stand it, makes me feel unwell, need to stay out of it, darkened room with fan on!

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 18:54:11

I wasn't sweaty until the menopause started.
I seem to have been left with an inability to regulate heat, and oh boy! Do I sweat now.

It's vile.

DanniRae Tue 11-Aug-20 19:02:35

Words can't express how much I hate this weather - I long for it to be cooler.
Made worse because Mr R doesn't get at all bothered by it and sleeps so well at night!
Luckily I have a spare room I can decamp to and open the window - can't do this in our bedroom as on the front of the house and too noisy to have the window open.

PinkCakes Tue 11-Aug-20 19:03:21

This weather is knackering. I hate it and look forward to autumn.

annodomini Tue 11-Aug-20 19:12:32

I can cope with this weather because I know it won't last...will it?

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 11-Aug-20 19:13:34

I’ve just come back from a walk with DD2s dog, she insisted, not me, boy was it hot, not a breath of air, she would have carried on up into the fields but once she had done what she needed to do I hauled her back home, she’s now laying in the garden, I’ve had to have a cold shower!
Still no rain here yet. But in the Winter when the wind is blasting me from the West , or, even worse, from the East, I will look back on this and sigh.

Bluebellwould Tue 11-Aug-20 19:27:28

The water that came out of my cold tap, I swear you could have brewed a cup of tea from it!

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 11-Aug-20 19:47:36

Bluebellwould our cold water mains pipe is 4ft underground, so lovely and cold

Nannylala Tue 11-Aug-20 21:44:03

MissAdventure I am exactly the same since menopause, just can't seem to regulate my body temperature, the sweat runs out of my face and head like a river, especially with these current temperatures ?. Expecting a most uncomfortable night and more of the same tomorrow, until temperatures finally start to ease Thursday/Friday x

JenniferEccles Tue 11-Aug-20 22:29:21

It’s the high humidity I find is the killer. Normal heat I can cope with but this is too much.
Even in the shade it’s still so uncomfortable.

If we had these temperatures regularly our houses would have air conditioning wouldn’t they ?

If the global warming fanatics are right we may have to invest in something.

10.30 pm and still 27 deg. Madness!

Georgesgran Tue 11-Aug-20 23:28:06

Same here in Durham MiniMoon. We had some nice weather way back in June and some lovely evenings recently, otherwise Summer hasn’t ventured very far North this year. TBH - I’m a little envious of the weather ‘down South’.

NotSpaghetti Tue 11-Aug-20 23:38:40

At least we aren't in Phoenix - it's nearly 40° in the middle of the night.
45° earlier...

NotSpaghetti Tue 11-Aug-20 23:39:37

Ha ha... just thought about this, there are MUCH hotter places than Phoenix!

MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 23:40:13

I hope you're referring to the place, not the gransnetter. wink

NotSpaghetti Tue 11-Aug-20 23:49:11

?

ladymuck Wed 12-Aug-20 07:10:06

I often think I must be the only one who dislikes hot weather. Nice to see I'm not alone.
The only good thing about it is being able to wear the minimum of clothing. So nice to just slip on a dress and knickers.

Susan56 Wed 12-Aug-20 07:21:50

I have never got on with very hot weather but am definitely struggling with it more as I get older?

We have only had a couple of days of really hot weather.I really feel for those of you further south who have had days and days of it.

DD who loves to lie in the sun had booked to stay in Windsor for a few days and visit Legoland and Chessington but they came home a day early as the heat was unbearable.

Roll on autumn!

TerriBull Wed 12-Aug-20 08:03:10

Weather obsessed every morning at the moment, really hoped this unbearable hot run might break yesterday evening, but no have woken again to what clearly is going to be another scorcher and another hot night to come according to weather forecast. Fan on again all last night. Charles II allegedly said about English weather "Three hot days and a thunderstorm" well it's been going on a lot longer than that now!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:36:58

I can’t concentrate on anything with this blooming weather,

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 12-Aug-20 08:38:29

Like BlueSky, I was always the first on a sun lounger. Since menopause, I’m hot all the time anyway. This is unbearable. I just keep reminding myself it will be over a lot quicker than the carnage in Beirut will be put right.

sodapop Wed 12-Aug-20 08:56:24

I agree MissAdventure post menopause I have not been able to cope with heat at all. Save a lot on heating bills in the winter as I very rarely have any heating on until the afternoon.
Spend more in the summer having fans on all the time though.

Stand by MiniMoon cases are packed I'm on my way.

BlueSky Wed 12-Aug-20 08:56:45

ladymuck

I often think I must be the only one who dislikes hot weather. Nice to see I'm not alone.
The only good thing about it is being able to wear the minimum of clothing. So nice to just slip on a dress and knickers.

Not even knickers for me at the moment Ladymuck! grinblush