Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you ask for a receipt?

(112 Posts)
Poppyred Thu 13-Aug-20 15:56:41

Surprised as to how many people don’t ask or take their receipt after shopping. How do they balance their monthly /weekly outgoings? What if they needed to take something back?

nipsmum Sat 15-Aug-20 17:13:13

I do take receipts, but I have neither the time or inclination to keep them to balance anything. I buy what is required and rarely overspend on my budget.

joysutty Sat 15-Aug-20 17:58:28

I always take a receipt as I check that I have not been over charged as that can happen especially at Aldi where they are so fast on the tills, sometimes the same item goes through twice. And also to keep up to speed on the banking so we don't go into our overdraft + get any charges. Seen lots of older ladies in front of me in a queue at the till who when asked say, No.

Grandmama Sat 15-Aug-20 18:41:58

I always ask for a receipt unless it's for the daily paper. They are filed in date order and at the end of each month put into a used A5 envelope with the month and year written on. There are bags of them all over the house!

I used to write up a cash book on Sunday evenings and note any offers/discounts to show how much I'd saved that week. Decided it was getting a bit obessional so don't do that now.

One of my sils always checks his receipt and fairly regularly finds there are mistakes,

Speldnan Sat 15-Aug-20 19:32:45

I always do if it’s a card payment. I then check everything off on my accounts.

adnil1949 Sat 15-Aug-20 20:09:36

I take all receipts for small amounts to large. I have apps on my phone that I record the receipts and get paid for doing so. Also I like to know how much I spend each month

MJS7 Sat 15-Aug-20 20:22:32

We are on a tight budget so I always get a receipt. Its surprising how much those little purchases mount up.

Albangirl14 Sat 15-Aug-20 20:41:26

I always ask for a receipt as there are often errors in the price charged . At Waitrose I have had a different error in the last three shops such as being charged for 3 multipacks of crisps instead of two and the special offer on the shelf not being given . I always go back for a refund.

grant1 Sun 16-Aug-20 01:27:57

I just got home from shopping and have a little stack of receipts waiting to be logged into my datebook and then the computer database to tally up at the end of the month. My early days working in accounting have stuck with me and my early years of little money earned and three kids to support have ingrained the habit of keeping track of spending down to the last penny. Old habits die hard. lol

hereshoping Sun 16-Aug-20 06:38:34

Always ask for a receipt, check supermarket receipt before I leave the store, check and balance bank statement.
Thank goodness that we're more affluent these days and checking the bank balance isn't the ordeal that it used to be.

narrowboatnan Sun 16-Aug-20 14:51:06

DH always takes the receipt for the grocery shopping and checks it thoroughly before he leaves the store. It pays off, because he will often find that things like ‘buy two get one free’ have not been checked out correctly or ‘two for £3’ (when the price individually is more) wrongly checked out or discounted items charged at full price. He then goes to the Customer Service desk and gets it put right.

esgt1967 Mon 17-Aug-20 08:16:18

I always take receipts, I record every single item of expenditure and have a monthly budget spreadsheet. Probably harks back to when we had severe debt problems and had to account for every penny but I think it's a good habit to have as I know exactly how much we have available to save and spend.