Gransnet forums

Chat

Thinking outside the box - a better use for our High Streets, housing, cafes, bars

(85 Posts)
Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 21:55:44

With the demise of another High Street giant should we be thinking outside the box.
Now most of us have cars and can shop out of town where parking is easier, often free. Also many of us would rather shop on line especially since covid-19 changed everything.
Now here's an idea, why don't we do up the upper floors of our high streets and make lovely flats for the young free and single and for the over fifties free of kids, and encourage ground floor eateries and bars, galleries, craft shops, individual clothing shops. centres for educational courses, book stores, etc. If the over fifties move in to vibrant town or city flats mixing with the youngsters and living life to the max, that frees up all those three and four bedroom homes in the suburbs for young families to have gardens and space. We're more likely to eat out and will have freed up enough equity to shop in the little outlets.
Whilst writing I see the holes in the idea but between us I'm sure we could come up with a plan.
Thoughts and ideas anyone?

PaperMonster Mon 17-Aug-20 20:29:23

No good for the over 50s with kids though grin

Peardrop50 Mon 17-Aug-20 21:34:32

Not ideal for ‘over 50s with kids’ no, hopefully those with children would take advantage of the freed up houses in the suburbs as the older, child free people moved in to town

NoddingGanGan Mon 17-Aug-20 21:40:22

Older people living on first floors? Hope you're putting lifts in everywhere.
Personally I would hate to live in a town centre flat. Especially above a bar.
Thanks but no thanks.

Grannymyers1954 Tue 18-Aug-20 07:20:43

Totally agree. Here in Scarborough it looks so down at heel Just wish people took pride in their shops especially outside They need to wash the pavements like abroad. We have so much seagull mess which smells dreadful.

jenpax Tue 18-Aug-20 07:47:43

I do wish planners took into account that we don’t all have cars! and that buses are often poorly run and here in the south ridiculously expensive.
I am seriously considering getting a car again ( having previously stopped to try and save money) Because there are so many places I can’t get to without the car or which take much too long on a bus. My youngest daughter doesn’t drive yet (taking lessons) and we are both struggling with taking her 3 young children out to local attractions because often there are no buses or the journey involves multiple changes so we have been very limited.
I worry that if town centres only have independent boutique shops and trendy cafes there will be nowhere for the car less to pop for a pint of milk or a loaf of bread!

Roxy1195 Tue 18-Aug-20 09:17:58

Agree with all this. But with lack of outside space could create nice green communal gardens/squares like in central London like Cadogan Gatdens etc for residents use.

trisher Tue 18-Aug-20 09:37:54

Live in a first floor flat over a shop-no thank you. This idea that over 50's don't have famly is ridiculous as well. Most women are having children later so in their 50s they have teenagers or students or (and this will increase with the pandemic) 20+ who can't afford to leave home. There are flats over the shops on our High Street mostly brought by young couples. Underneath are coffee shops, restaurants and charity shops with the occasional building society. People complain because there isn't a decent greengrocers, but things like that don't make money.
It is considered that working from home may change things with people choosing to live in cheaper areas if they don't need to commute every day.

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-Aug-20 16:54:55

Where do people shop now Peardrop? Llangefni?
There used to be a market hall in Holyhead when we were close, wholefoods, toyshop, all sorts... and the Cybi cinema!! (No longer surf about spellings do apologies!).

Peardrop50 Tue 18-Aug-20 22:00:27

NotSpaghetti, cinema still in Holyhead and a nice little theatre/gallery but desperately needs investment.
Llangefni also going downhill in spite of being the county town.
Most will shop in Bangor or Llandudno for anything large such as furniture or decent clothes.
trisher I take your point about 50 year olds still having family at home, maybe change it to 60 year olds. I think what I had in mind was a little up market accommodation to bring money and therefore business in to town centres and free up the suburbs for families.
It was just a thought and I hoped to stimulate some positive ideas, most have given good ideas or constructive criticism.
We’ve got to do something so that the tumbleweed doesn’t take over.