Gransnet forums

Chat

To flush or not to flush - that is the question!

(174 Posts)
dontmindstayinghome Tue 25-Aug-20 17:46:22

My OH insists that he does not need to flush the toilet after every visit as he is saving water. He was delighted when United Utilities told us that we should continue whatever it is we are doing as our water consumption was very low compared to similar sized properties.

I think its absolutely disgusting and i'm always in a panic to check that the toilets are 'clean' if we get unexpected visitors.

After hearing the following expression from Martin Lewis:

"If its yellow let it mellow. If its brown flush it down".

I'm wondering, am I in the minority over this?
Honestly, we are not so short of money that the cost of flushing/not flushing the toilet will make a difference!

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 19:30:01

I always flush when out, and at home if there is a knock on the door, and any time I feel it's been a while.

nexus63 Tue 25-Aug-20 19:35:54

i don't flush if it is only a wee, i do have a bottle with cheap smelly toilet cleaner that i water down as it is so thick and just give it a couple of sprays

Chewbacca Tue 25-Aug-20 19:36:25

I can't imagine anyone would go to visit someone else's bathroom and not flush it! And I always make sure the loo is clean and freshly flushed try saying that quickly when a visitor arrives. But when I'm home alone, and no one else is likely to visit the loo, why is it disgusting? confused

phoenix Tue 25-Aug-20 19:41:39

Chewbacca when choosing a dishwasher, one of the things that was important for me was having a half load function and I checked out the statistics for the 2 models that I'd short listed for energy and water consumption.

The one we went with was over 1200 litres a year less than the other, and even on a full load uses only 9 litres.

MerylStreep Tue 25-Aug-20 19:42:15

As someone who lived for 20 years without mains water I know how precious it is. It's obvious that our summers are going to get hotter so therefore there are going to be water restrictions. Maybe not in our time but certainly in our childrens.
Why do you think companies are pouring millions into hydroponics.

Maggiemaybe Tue 25-Aug-20 19:45:36

We had an earth closet for a few memorable months when I was a child. A little door would suddenly crash open way below (sometimes when you were sitting in there) and a shovel would be thrust in to clear it all out. Now that was disgusting - if I think about it now that smell’s still in my nostrils. A drop of wee - no problem! grin

I hope they paid that man well, but somehow I doubt it.

Chewbacca Tue 25-Aug-20 19:47:01

That's a very significant saving Phoenix! And a half load function is a great feature to have. My dishwasher is small but holds a surpringly large amount of stuff and, like yours, is both water and energy efficient. As I live alone, apart from 2 GC who are here a lot, I only use it twice a week. (unless I go mad and having a baking session)

Marmight Tue 25-Aug-20 19:59:44

I have a water meter but it’s not just about saving money. What on earth is the point of wasting a cistern full of water to flush away 3 or 4 fluid ounces of wee? I live on my own so 3 or 4 pees don’t bother me. Of course if I have visitors (except local DD & family who do the same) I make sure the loos have been flushed. They are clean anyway. I’ve always turned off the tap for teeth brushing and also in the shower when lathering body and/or hair. We are so lucky to have plentiful water on tap but we should conserve it. Nothing disgusting about it.

Esspee Tue 25-Aug-20 20:01:48

Water companies are giving away freebies to help save water. One of the items is a bag for inside your cistern to reduce the amount of water per flush. You might want to suggest that to him dontmindstayinghome.

FlexibleFriend Tue 25-Aug-20 20:04:00

I flush each and every time day or night.

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 25-Aug-20 20:04:20

We always flush, except at night in case we wake each other up.

And we always close the lid, stops those pesky germs floating about.

Farmor15 Tue 25-Aug-20 20:45:59

Unless you have a urinary tract infection, wee has very few germs, so not flushing every time is not a health hazard.

People living in cities have got too detached from the realities of life- where water comes from and where the waste goes. If you’ve lived in a rural area and had to deal with septic tank and blocked pipes, you wouldn’t find a toilet with a bit of wee, “disgusting”.

Sparkling Tue 25-Aug-20 20:49:00

If you live on your own, then perhaps it’s not necessary to flush each time, but if it’s a household, the idea of not flushing turns my stomach a little. Imagine a visitor using a loo that hasn’t been flushed. Unless it was a severe water shortage I will plat my legs a little, but flush when I go.

Bluebellwould Tue 25-Aug-20 20:55:31

I moved into a property that has a water meter for the first time in my life so I tried the not flushing for a wee. I ended up with a black line around the water level. Can’t stand the smell of bleach so ended up flushing all the time. In order to keep the water bills down I don’t shower anymore instead. ?

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 20:58:10

Everyone has said they flush before visitors go in, though, sparkling.

I also wipe the seat and all around the toilet several times a day (if I'm home)

lemongrove Tue 25-Aug-20 22:11:29

What a clean little thing you are MissA ?I applaud you and do much the same ( so will applaud myself)??????
Our loos have the short flush option, so are used every time.
Must say that GN is very involved with bodily actions this last week.

Juliet27 Tue 25-Aug-20 22:25:59

? to the TV and mobile phone comment Miss A

JenniferEccles Tue 25-Aug-20 22:51:29

Flush each time. Wouldn’t dream of leaving my wee for the next person.

Talking of flushing, how many of you put the lid down before you flush?

I suspect not many as the lid is invariably up in toilets I use when I’m out. Visitors to my house are the same so I appear to be in the minority.

How many people have their toothbrushes near the loo ?

Chewbacca Tue 25-Aug-20 22:56:51

Wouldn’t dream of leaving my wee for the next person.

Reading back over all the posts JE neither would those who don't flush after having a pee; they've all said that they flush if they know someone else will use the loo after them.

My toothbrush is always in the bathroom cabinet; where do you keep yours?

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 23:00:59

My toothbrush is in the bathroom cupboard thing under the sink.

Since we're on the subject of weewee, I had a friend who had an open bin in her toilet, and it nearly always had her used "panty" (shudder) liners, sunny side up, in it.

Chewbacca Tue 25-Aug-20 23:12:46

Oh MissA! Bleurgh! envy <<not envy>>

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 23:14:28

She was very relaxed about natural body things. smile

Chewbacca Tue 25-Aug-20 23:18:08

Clearly! But it's a bit ? isn't it? A bit like leaving an unflushed poo in the loo for someone to see. We all know it's got to happen, we just don't need to see the evidence!

maddyone Tue 25-Aug-20 23:22:51

sparklingsilver28
If any visitors to my house didn’t flush the loo and were consequently not asked to visit ever again, I wouldn’t see any of my four grandchildren ever again.

sparklingsilver28 Tue 25-Aug-20 23:33:38

"Another not flushed - their home must be choice"!!