Gransnet forums

Chat

What Do You Do When There's Wee On A Public Loo Seat?

(40 Posts)
Candelle Wed 26-Aug-20 10:30:20

I always seem to choose a loo in which the previous (or one long since gone) occupant has left wee on the loo seat (and sometimes a puddle on the floor - no attempt to clear it up).

Through gritted teeth, I wipe it off because... I don't want the person following me in to think it was MY wee!

Do you wipe up, leave it in situ or loudly say 'Harumph' so those in the queue behind you know it's not yours!

Having not actually been in a loo queue for many many months, you can see how this wee problem(!) has been worrying me!

PS
I of course understand that there are emergencies and people have to dash to the loo but couldn't they clear up afterwards?

MissAdventure Wed 26-Aug-20 20:32:16

Millie grin
You are making me laugh!

TwinLolly Wed 26-Aug-20 20:48:42

JuliaM Your story reminds me of squatting toilets in France.
I was absolutely desperate to go but the one I happened to go into was revolting! Hubby dashed into the mens and the squatting toilet was clean so, with nobody around and in sight - I went there with DH standing guard (poor chap!) Fortunately I don't come across them that often and the last time I did - it was clean. Whew! Thinking of them - I have an terrible fear that I will fall down one of them (goes back to my childhood when travelling on a rickety ferry to Turkey and there was just a hole for a squatting loo. I hung on to mum for dear life in case I dropped through!confused)

V3ra Wed 26-Aug-20 21:42:36

Ha! We took my son and his friend (16?) to France one summer. She decided her personal challenge that holiday was to use a "hole in the ground" toilet at a service station before we went home ?
I was always glad we had our own touring caravan with a spotlessly clean toilet hitched up to the car!!

pollyperkins Wed 26-Aug-20 22:16:55

I repeat - the toilets inChina are appalling (20 times worse than anything in France- same style but filthy)
I owed that I would never complain about a British toilet again. Of course I have done though!

B9exchange Wed 26-Aug-20 22:27:03

It is bad enough when you notice, but ten times worse when you don't and are aware you have just sat on a wet seat, what do you then? I don't often have wet wipes in my bag (obviously should) and feel desperately unclean until I can have a full wash.

pollyperkins Wed 26-Aug-20 22:34:15

Use loo paper. But I hate it too and now always wipe the seat with loo paper before I sit down just in case. By the way you can’t catch anything this way it’s just a horrid feeling.

Katek Wed 26-Aug-20 23:22:26

To answer OP’s question .........leave!

Teacheranne Thu 27-Aug-20 01:58:11

Gosh, yes, public toilets in China were appalling! And in restaurants too, I went to the toilet after eating when near The Summer Palace which was a big mistake. Apart from being filthy, it was right next to the kitchen, had no door and no sink and there was a sack of onions stored in it!

In Tienaman Square, I joined the long queue of mainly Chinese people and after a while the elderly attendant grabbed my arm and pushed me into the disabled cubicle. I tried to resist but then realised she was showing me that it had a western style toilet rather than a hole in the floor. After that I always used the disabled toilet if there was one - as did the rest of the ladies on the coach!

Alexa Thu 27-Aug-20 09:44:41

Regarding the dirty lady in Rome, some people are so impractical they have no clue as to how to clean in emergency situations. A dear deceased friend of mine had never owned a plastic bucket in all her life.

jenpax Thu 27-Aug-20 10:00:54

I won’t use a loo that has wee on the seat or floor. if another cubicle isn’t available I just wait until later, or until I get home (with crossed legs!)
I always assume any spill is due to young children using the loo, I never assumed it was adult women ??‍♀️

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 27-Aug-20 10:44:01

I wouldn’t leave the problem for someone else who needs that toilet. Wipe it, use toilet, flush and then wash my hands. Unpleasant but problem gone.

Consider how it could happen. I have had to. It happens to me occasionally. There’s a medical condition that causes the extra leakage! It’s not severe for me but I always check upon rising! I quite often envy men when they give it a shake. Yes, I can see some of you getting ready to type “use paper”. I do.

Can’t wait for the next toilet thread ???.

rosie1959 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:20:32

Run out screaming
Or just wipe it up and get on with the job in hand if I need a wee no way am I going to fuss about Still alive and healthy

Cabbie21 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:27:25

As it says in that objectionable Tena ad, “ a few drops of wee never hurt anybody”.
Just wipe it up, assuming you have got time before you use it yourself. But if you are desperate......

Furret Thu 27-Aug-20 11:37:52

I open the door and shout ‘who is the dirty beggar who was last in here! ‘

(No, of course I don’t but I’m very tempted)