Gransnet forums

Chat

The WI what is your experience

(129 Posts)
Judy54 Wed 26-Aug-20 15:04:25

There were a couple of comments on another thread entitled Only the Lonely about the WI being unwelcoming. Mine was fine until I came off the committee due to my Partner's health problems and realised that their only interest in me was what I could do for them rather than what they could do for me. I continued as a member but was often unable to attend and no one made contact to see how I was let alone how my Partner was, the expectation was that I should keep them informed. All I needed was a kind word and a little tlc. During lockdown I have heard nothing except for general emails addressed to all members. Yes I have also found the cliquey groups within, all friends who have been going for years. They don't invite others to sit with them but say they are saving that chair for a friend! Sorry I thought this was a friendship group but not sure I will be returning once they re-open. What is your WI like?

seacliff Sun 30-Aug-20 11:39:16

? wiccanfederation.weebly.com/regional-groups.html

Grannytomany Sun 30-Aug-20 21:17:26

Having seen a few positive mentions of U3A, I feel driven to say that my two attempts to get involved in their groups were a dismal failure. Both attempts were very negative. There was no welcome of any kind apart from leaflets in the post and the website link, the monthly meetings were very un inclusive to newcomers and it was nigh on impossible to join any of my preferred groups because they were full and vacancies only seemed to occur on a dead man’s shoes basis. I tried several social outings but being a solo, felt very solo indeed so gave up.

I’m convinced that it isn’t the national organisation which is either good or bad but the people who run and participate in them at local level which makes or break ones experience. As is the case with everything really.

When I rejoined the WI, I had a couple of initial friendly emails from members of the committee and was invited along to the next meeting as a guest to see what I thought of them. I was met at the door and introduced to several people including two ladies who were also there as ‘looksee’ guests. The three of us were shown to a table with three existing members to break the ice and settle us in. A lot of fun was had that evening and I joined the following month. I think the annual subs of £40 odd pounds is good value. But our is a very informal WI with no ritual as mentioned by someone else and certainly no very expensive addItional activities as we are all aware that purse depths vary.

Jane10 Mon 31-Aug-20 08:25:04

Thar WI sounds much better organised for attracting and maintaining new members Grannytomany. I hope anyone on WI committees reading this take note!