Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(74 Posts)
12Michael Thu 27-Aug-20 06:16:22

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry but grey here in Brackley this morning.
When I did my early shop yesterday , I saw a promotion poster in the supermarket for autumn .
Today, some housework before I venture out on the buses, it looks like normality will return next week with buses reverting back to normal schedules, with schools going back.
I shall watch the team presentation for the Tour de France later which starts in Nice.
The whole cycle sport season is all out of order and has been squeezed into a 4 moth slot .
Take Care ,
Mick

EllanVannin Thu 27-Aug-20 19:47:31

I know the feeling Scentia. x

Greyduster Thu 27-Aug-20 19:41:22

We were out the door very early this morning so I missed the chance to wish Urmstongran a very happy birthday ???, and Mr and Mrs Megs the heartiest congratulations - what a milestone!???!

Urmstongran Thu 27-Aug-20 19:21:21

Congratulations from me too Mr&Mrs.Megs!
???
Quite an achievement.
xx

Beechnut Thu 27-Aug-20 17:00:35

Wishing you a very Happy Diamond Anniversary Mr&MrsMegs?

Megs36 Thu 27-Aug-20 15:41:47

Thankyou for your good wishes to us for our Diamond Anniversary, BTW still waiting for one ?. I think it’ll be a long wait.

Kalu Thu 27-Aug-20 14:33:00

Now that is what I call a SiL who is a keeper GrannySomerset. How thoughtful of him being so organised to think of your needs too?. We too have a collection of ancient tools which should have been binned but still hang on to them, just in case. ?. I also have a very handy, keeper, SiL willing to do any odd job on the list, unfortunately,he lives in Australia?

After such a shockingly long wait Nanytopsy I hope your DH receives whatever treatment is decided upon to aid recovery even should that mean an overnight stay. ? Take care of yourself too.

Nannytopsy Thu 27-Aug-20 13:53:48

Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs Megs!
Just left DH at the hospital - his legs were in such a mess when the nurses removed the dressings this morning that he was sent to A&E, as a short cut to dermatology. He has been waiting for a referral to them for months. May see him later or he may stay there - who knows?

GrannySomerset Thu 27-Aug-20 12:42:27

Kalu - when we moved house our son in law gave us a fully fitted out tool box on the grounds that at least when he came to stay and I had a little list of jobs he knew the right tools would be lurking in the garage rather than use the tatty and ancient offerings that we could provide.

Mapleleaf Thu 27-Aug-20 12:38:19

Good afternoon everyone,

I hope you are having a lovely birthday, urmstongran and celebrate in style ?????.

Many congratulations to you too, Megs. I hope you and Mr Megs are having a fantastic day. Enjoy those fish and chips. Wash them down with something special! ???

Visiting a friend for a catch up later this afternoon, so looking forward to that.

Take care and keep safe.

Kalu Thu 27-Aug-20 12:31:15

My guess too Grandmafrench . He looks at me with such trusting eyes which throws me, although I do remember having to quickly rush the girls out for the school run before they saw the slaughter of some of their precious hens and chicks on a rare occasion and part of country life. No need to supply any playthings as he has a stash kept under a shrub at the bottom of the garden. ?

A shady seat by the side of the pool sounds blissful. If this constant rainfall doesn’t abate soon, I may find myself poolside too! ?

Pittcity Thu 27-Aug-20 11:58:51

Congratulations to Mrs and Mr Megs????

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:23:02

Good Morning to all from nondescript Harrogate. I am just preparing myself for the onslaught of my GDs arrival! At least I don't have to think of what I am going to do next!! There will be a continual "I want something t'eat" - whatever I suggest is met with a 'No, not that"
Yesterday I discovered my Macbook's problems have been caused by not deleting enough emails!! I always thought they were kept in the 'ether'? I deleted around 1,000 yesterday, so will have to try to get another 1,000 deleted today. I probably have around 30,000 emails tucked away in it - ouch!
Delighted to hear your son is home Grandmattie, hope everyone else is well and happy

EllanVannin Thu 27-Aug-20 10:45:36

Any time,Grandmafrench---your posts are a delight.x

Grandmafrench Thu 27-Aug-20 10:42:05

Oh Kalu. I love him. What a privilege. I am guessing that he might be a young dog fox, because he’s confident and because he has a wonderful brush. When we had hens and ducks and geese, I used to get so upset when the odd fox would help himself. I’d have gladly given him a shoe or a glove instead. However, the poor things do struggle to survive (largely on earthworms) and are being driven out of their normal habitats by the changes to the countryside, so I tried to be more tolerant. You must wonder what might turn up next in your garden!

Scentia Thu 27-Aug-20 10:40:32

Grandmafrench It started about 5 years ago, very mild at first and we tried a diet from the vets, we then put her on a raw diet. No change. She as been back and forth to the vets and to see a dermatologist over these 5 years it is of unknown cause and the vet and I are convinced that it is a mental health problem. She scratches herself and chews herself to the point of bleeding, she has permanently damaged her eyes due to scratching and she has very recently started snapping at people if they come near her and she isn't in the mood for a cuddle. The vet and I are at an absolute loss as to where to go next. It is very hard to make her feel better just lately, she used to be so happy and sort of ignore her issues but this last year she has just become so unhappy, I think she is truly fed up of bloody scratching, I know I would be. It really doesn't help me feel better when my friends are making me feel so guilty for considering Euthanizing. I am just in a miserable place today. It maybe the £160 vets bill I paid this morning. I love Gransnet and this little group as I know people will be honest yet not judge me or anyone else for what they do. Thankyou Good Morningers!!

Stilllearning Thu 27-Aug-20 10:33:24

Good morning from a nondescript S Lanarkshire and happy birthday Urmstongran, I enjoy your sunny ☀️ posts, the nearest thing we have got to it recently! I had a lovely meal last night with DD2 and family, the first time I’ve been in their house since March as my SIL has been shielding. I sat at one end of their long table and the three of them sat at the other, my poor daughter said this is awful, it feels like an interview ?, but it was just great to be with them.

Grandmafrench Thu 27-Aug-20 10:31:44

Good Morning everyone from hot and blue S of ?? where I am sitting under my umbrella by the pool watching a couple of my favourite Hummingbird Hawkmoths diving in and out of the flowerpots.

It is the second time of trying with this post. I am beyond furious - my machine suddenly came up with an article about Corsica (an obvious slip of a finger), but I am determined to ‘do a Marydoll’. Normally I would give up but today I shall not let this machine defeat me, so here goes again. The one advantage is I got to catch up on the latest posters’ news. So....I’ll be around for lunch, Ellan and I shall bring a jumper and we can make an effigy of 2020 and possibly set fire to it - cats permitting!! ?

GrandMattie so pleased that your boy’s hospitalisation looks as if it will have helped him generally. Fingers crossed now that his health improves a lot - but that he doesn’t forget how ill he was, so he can use it as a reminder to take better care in future!

Scentia your poor little pooch - and you. It’s very worrying and skin problems are always really difficult. When did it start, is it just scratching, what does your dog eat? I ask only because I have had dogs with allergies.

gilly of the Wild N.E......hopefully, if working full time for full time pay!!!! causes such misery for your guy, perhaps there will be other more job-hungry types who’d like to fill his place? Maybe that might work out better all round. Until then, don’t give it another thought, have a blast with little Evie Buttons and think about something else.

A Happy HAPPY Birthay to you, young Urms ??? - you lucky little Pensioner, you....but don’t spend any of it before you get it! And what a considerate careful DH you have, only offering lunch OR supper to celebrate. Get those fuchsia ? slippers on, girl, and prepare to eat yourself silly....he’s got 15 euros remember? Grandes abrazos from me ( and probably everyone else on Gransnet). Enjoy your day.

NannyT are those hens taking your responsibility serously? Tell ‘em to get those tail feathers into gear, you don’t need all that stress!

To all of you having meals out, trips and treats - good for you. Such a mood lifter. I’ve had that in a Restaurant, Sar53 what else can you do but leave if they clearly cannot cope - but it’s still a disappointment. We have a theatre like the Minack not far away, Mellow. The most beautiful experience - but cushions for the stone seats, absolutely essential.

Our garden lunch yesterday kicked off at 12.30 - it would have been 12 noon but these friends are English! ? . Lunch finished at 8.45pm - when it was still 29 degrees. Well, we did have to catch up from last February! Am I a little hoarse today? Sure am. They were allowed into the house for the loo, through a separate door. Our own loo was out of bounds, as was the rest of the house. The time just flew, it was so good to see them. Another occasion to be very grateful for cushions, though!

Megs36 How wonderful. Congratulations ? - and you’re not old, you’re both Diamonds ! Have the happiest time remembering and celebrating it all today.

So sad to hear about Bellanonna’s friend. What a terrible year. Sending warm wishes to all with struggles at this time.
Nortsat do hope that you can get your BP fixed soon and hope you find a solution to your sneezing Greyduster.

For all with worries and stress, wishing you a happier day today. For all anyway, happiness, hope and peace.
Stay safe !
Hugs ???

gillgran Thu 27-Aug-20 10:27:23

Good Morning to you all from an overcast, but mild Cambs.,

Brook, we're arriving in Cambridge tonight for a couple of days with our DD & family. Just as you are leaving! You sound as you have had a good visit with your family, safe journey home.

Happy Birthday Urmstongran, have a lovely day, (your DH has the same sense of humour as mine! smile.).

Congratulations Megs on your diamond anniversary.

Warm Wishes to all,

Take Care Folks.

CherryCezzy Thu 27-Aug-20 10:08:18

Good morning everyone. It's miserable outside here in Gower today, very dark moody sky and mizzle.

My neice1 and her husband are meant to be arriving around lunchtime and the weather is being unfair ?

? Happy Birthday to you .... Urmstongran ?, have a lovely day and go on push the boat out with that €15 ?. ? ? ? ?

Pleased that your son is home and has a diagnosis grandMattie. Good to hear that he's feeling tickety boo.

Scentia, your dog is young yet and it's not nice to hear she is suffering the way she is ? ?

Enjoy your belated birthday get together Grammaretto. It's a tough time at the moment for you and your DH, enjoy ?

The same goes for all of you having get togethers with family or friends. Enjoy ?

How ungrateful of your employee gillybob, grrh! Some people's attitudes are all wrong. I've still got my ? that you get that order.

Bellasnana, thinking of you and your friend ?. Thank you for letting us know NanKate.

I hope you are both making progress BlueSapphire and dragonfly ??

Take care and stay safe everyone ❤️

Kalu Thu 27-Aug-20 10:07:39

Good morning all from yet another not sunny day in Glasgow.
This summer really has been pants, heating on here too.

What a heartbreaking dilemma for you Scentia
I’m pretty sure DD1 thinks we are a branch of B&Q kitty. I am seriously thinking of buying her a fully kitted out large tool box for christmas. ?
Happy Birthday Urmston ????. I’m beginning to feel I have a birthday every 6 months as they come around so quickly now?. Have a wonderful day.

I have added a photo of our glove thief who is under the illusion he is our dog, now follows me around the garden, almost to heel!

I finished off knitting a second shawl yesterday which gave me the idea of asking a friend who volunteers with Age Concern if this was something to offer anyone. Most welcome was her answer so I now have a worthwhile project to take me through the winter months.

Have a good day all especially those of you not feeling up to par.

Taichinan Thu 27-Aug-20 10:05:05

Good morning all and happy birthday to Urmstongran. So glad your DS is out of hospital Grandmattie. He will feel so much better after a few good nights' sleep in his own bed.

Well, the Angus coast is doing its best which means it's deep grey but not actually raining or blowing. It really is cold. I have to keep pinching myself to remember that we did actually have a lovely summer - but it started early and it has finished early. We usually have a lovely autumn - I hope this rapidly changing climate will allow us that this year!

Now that we have the go-ahead to re-start tai chi classes when halls become available, I must set about working out how to get 50 people, socially distanced, divided into smaller groups in shorter classes, through in three hours. I'm very much afraid that people will only have a class every second week until things get back to the "old normal" - if they ever do! (I wish I could borrow you Marydoll to help me with all your organisational and logistical expertise!) It will be what it will be - and we're not charging members for these classes, so that's going to make them happier!

Now to get today's show on the road - art group later. I'm seeing so many people now (all in groups of four, socially distanced!) that life is beginning to feel a bit more normal.

Have as good a day as you can everybody, and stay safe and warm ???

Megs36 Thu 27-Aug-20 10:04:20

Thankyou Rufus enjoy your Shiraz, we’ll be having something similar later on.
Having f and c delivered later, we know how to live.....
Cheers ????????

EllanVannin Thu 27-Aug-20 10:04:18

Well done to Megs for the Diamond Anniversary. Have a lovely day.x flowers wine Very Best Wishes to You Both.xx

Scentia Thu 27-Aug-20 10:03:24

MawB2 I don't have pet insurance as I cancelled it a few years ago as she has so many ailments they were not covering more than they were covering and wanted an increase in premiums. They would no longer cover the allergies now as they usually have a limit for 12months then they say as you renew that they won't cover that thing anymore, we used to be very well off and it never bothered me to be honest but when you are not so affluent you have to make choices and I need to make a choice soon. My best friend sent me a message this morning basically saying if I loved my dog I would pay out anything, well if only I had an endless pot of money like she does!! Hey Ho, I will see how she gets on with this latest round of shampoos and tablets and go from there. Thankyou for your comments though.

EllanVannin Thu 27-Aug-20 09:53:07

Good Morning All x.
A Very Happy Birthday to Urmston x wineflowerswinewine. Don't spend all that money in the same shop gringrin.

Cold dark and miserable here this morning. Jumper at the ready. Have to put the light on at 8pm now sad I feel as though the year hasn't started, never mind about ending.

Not sure what's in store today but I know it's going to be a long weekend and I miss another GGC's Birthday on Sunday, the youngest who'll be 4. Next one is November when I'll have missed the lot ! Imagine not seeing your GGC all year. Because they all go to school my D hasn't allowed it.

What a misery today ! I haven't finished yet. Talking about poorly pooches, my D's dog, the size of a miniature horse ( Pyrenean/ Newfoundland ) has a tumour on or near its behind and the vet isn't sure whether it's a nasty or not but the cost to remove it is £800 and he's uncertain what to do right now. The dog is 12 years old but still appears okay.

Blimey, there's no end to it this year. These things are more noticeable when you're not on the go with normal life.

Thinking of Bellasnanna and her poor friend.It's been a sad year for her too.
Hope your DS takes things easy GrandMattie before throwing himself into his work although he'll start to feel better once home---as you do from hospital.

Gillybob just leaves me feeling worn out reading about her life which again has been under a strain for a year.x

I think most of us have suffered with one thing and another this year.I'll be glad to see the back of it as will many. Roll on Spring grin.

It's a sausage and mash day today so that'll keep the wolf from the door.

Enjoy the day those of you who can and my thoughts to those who can't x. Hope things pick up for you.
Keep on staying safe everyone.