Gransnet forums

Chat

Triggered memories

(64 Posts)
annsixty Thu 27-Aug-20 09:52:06

How I love the fact that threads started on any manner of things trigger memories long forgotten.
In the 80’s we had a family living next door but one who had two young daughters, the elder loved coming into our house and garden to chat and follow both H and I around “helping”
One day she came to me and said “Mrs B I need to have a wee and I can’t go by myself as I have clots, will you help me?”

My blood ran cold, how to deal with this medical condition?
I suggested she went home for her mummy to help her.
“ oh no you can help me if I show you”
She lifted up her top to reveal culottes which were very fashionable then and my heart resumed beating normally.

Both she and her sister grew into lovely young women and are both now Drs.

Laughterlines Sat 29-Aug-20 09:17:09

I grew up in the midlands and we always referred to sandwiches or a slice of buttered bread and jam as a “piece” as in “Mom can I have a piece I am hungry”. Never heard it anywhere else.

grannybuy Sat 29-Aug-20 09:39:16

Funnygran, we still have those armbands! DS has a congenital condition which means that he is shorter than average, and when, on occasion, he needs to wear a formal shirt, the bands are very useful. I think they were recommended by the kilt fitter when they were measuring him for the hire of a jacket to wear with his kilt. On a previous occasion, when I was enquiring, by telephone, as to whether they might have a kilt for hire that would fit him, I was assured, " Madam, we have kilts to fit all " ! When I told him his height and waist measurement, there was silence, much to my amusement, then he said, "Bring him in and we'll see what we can do". To their credit, DS got his hired kilt, but we had one made for him after that.

Elrel Sat 29-Aug-20 12:04:03

I disliked vests but liked my Liberty bodice, was intrigued by the rubber buttons.
When I was a bit older, 11/12 I longed for a ‘net over taffeta’ party dress from C&A. Instead my mother unfathomably insisted on a Royal Stewart tartan two piece outfit, in some silky material. I wore it for ‘occasions’ until I burst out of it. It looks ok in photographs but I was never very happy in it, we weren’t Scottish! Oddly inappropriate!
Those 1950s petticoats were brilliant, I had a ‘paper taffeta’ one and a pink cancan net one which I wore under a 3 full tiered peppermint striped skirt with a little sleeveless blouse from Dorothy Perkins. I was 17. Happy days!

Elrel Sat 29-Aug-20 12:06:21

full, 3 tiered

Cabbie21 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:11:31

At school we had to make a three tiered underskirt in Needlework lessons! I learned to do seams, gathers, hems.

My old fashioned DH still insists on using traditional white linen napkins. I am not sure why as I bought some easy wash alternatives. He gets them very messy with beetroot etc. He is supposed to iron them himself, but since he has given up ironing his shirts, I find myself doing them . I refuse to starch them though. What a lot of work being a traditional housewife used to be.

muffin Sat 29-Aug-20 13:28:07

Laughterlines they called it a piece as in a piece n jam, which would be thrown out of the windows of the tenements in Glasgow Scotland, to the hungry children playing in the back courts that we had, so not just the midlands

annep1 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:48:07

We called it a piece in Northern Ireland. We also called food shopping going for the messages. My OH said yesterday, don't forget the messages are being delivered today. Old habits die hard.

muffin Sat 29-Aug-20 14:44:10

was the messages in Glasgow as well annepl, all the women looked very similar with short permed hair, some with headscarfs, carrying their message bags, fond memories

PamelaJ1 Sat 29-Aug-20 15:06:24

My dad wore knee length socks, shorts and an open necked short sleeved shirt to work. So did everyone else’s dad. They looked so funny when swimming. A brown V at the neck , lower arms and a stripe round the knees. I have no idea how he kept his socks up?

Antonia Sat 29-Aug-20 15:24:37

I remember my mother talking to a lady from New Zealand. Mum told her that a friend of hers had a bad infection, and the New Zealand lady asked, 'is she better?' My mum was a bit taken aback and replied, ' no, she's not bitter at all, she just wants to get well.'

annsixty Sat 29-Aug-20 15:56:54

Antonia grin

annep1 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:47:30

Not just us then muffin
You just reminded me of my mum in her headscarf.

annodomini Sat 29-Aug-20 17:34:02

In my Scottish childhood, our playtime snack was our 'playpiece'. My favourite was digestive biscuits sandwiched with butter. Bread and jam was a 'jeely piece'.