Gransnet forums

Chat

Don't read if you don't want to hear the C word !

(84 Posts)
queengran Fri 28-Aug-20 09:44:04

Was reading the other thread about Christmas and although I know lots of people don't want to start thinking about it yet- and that's fine grin, that's no reason for the few of us who might want to talk about it or start planning, to have a conversation. So if the thought of talking about Christmas at this time make you feel ill, please just move on and don't comment or make us feel guilty about it. blush

Personally, I'm starting to look for gifts for my grandkids now. I would usually have had them over the summer and treated them and seeing as that didn't happen I've got a bit extra to spend on them come Christmas. Two boys, 7 and 9 and a little girl 2.5 in case anyone has any good ideas?
It's been a really rough year and Christmas is always one of my favourite times of the year. I see nothing wrong with a bit of planning and expectation - I don't focus exclusively on it from now till December obviously! But I like to start lists and start planning so I can just sit back and enjoy from the end of November. Surely I can't be the only forward planner! grin

Lizbethann55 Sat 29-Aug-20 23:58:18

If you are looking for ideas for the little one, may I suggest Happyland? It is brilliant. My GC love it. I have lots of it here, including a huge box of it that I bought second hand

Dancinggran Sun 30-Aug-20 00:33:51

Not really thought about it yet but now tend to do 'making memories' presents. There have been trips to see 'Dinosaurs in the Wild', a theatre trip to see Dr. Dolittle, a ski taster lesson and a trip to a new local climbing centre with various grandchildren. Not sure what it will be this year..... depends what happens I suppose. I'm fortunate that I live close to all my grandchildren and have always seen them regularly

Traceyac Sun 30-Aug-20 02:39:52

funnily enough we (my family) have mentioned the C word this weekend ???? being the bank holiday and not having seen each other since feb its our 1st get together.
Have started the planning lots of us ???

pamdixon Sun 30-Aug-20 19:43:21

there's loads of good sales on at the moment, so good time to start thinking of C shopping I'd say if you are that way inclined (and organised)!!

Maggiemaybe Mon 31-Aug-20 07:51:36

I nearly came to grief yesterday though looking for Christmas present bargains. I was just about to buy some very pretty Cath Kidston diaries, reduced from £18 to £4, when I noticed the date on the front. 2020. grin

Susan56 Mon 31-Aug-20 08:14:12

I have bought quite a lot of Christmas presents already.There have been some good sales on over lockdown.

Last year DH and I were very ill and didn’t see any family until the end of January.I hope that this Christmas we are able to see them but if a further lockdown means we can’t,we will still send or drop off their presents to them.

Witzend Mon 31-Aug-20 08:38:33

Later this week I shall be making several jars of Delia’s delish mincemeat. We always get through a lot, though I never make any m-pies until 1st December (with first carols playing) - any earlier would be a even more lethal for the waistlines.

Though it occurred to me recently that starting both on Advent Sunday (29th Nov this year if my calendar’s correct) would not really be breaking my own rule.

Oldwoman70 Mon 31-Aug-20 08:47:34

For me it is too early to be thinking about Christmas but I have a family member who is already posting ideas for decorations on her Facebook page! So for those of you who are already planning - have fun and ignore anyone who tries to dampen your enthusiasm.