Gransnet forums

Chat

Single sex couple on Strictly.

(91 Posts)
Tweedle24 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:43:12

Just heard that, for the first time this year, there will be a single sex couple competing on Strictly.

What do people think about that?

I can’t help thinking that ballroom dancing is designed for a man and a woman. Won’t it be a bit odd?

On the other hand, I have no negative feelings about single sex weddings and feel strongly that people should be allowed to love whom they wish. People’s sex life too, is their business.

I am finding this latest announcement a bit difficult to come to terms with. Am I being narrow-minded?

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 22:23:00

Starblaze

Lucca as related to children being born with open minds and prejudice being learned due to left over instincts

Fair enough but we’re still not at “disgust” are we ?

annep1 Wed 02-Sep-20 22:04:22

Exactly Lullydully you danced the man's part.
Women danced with women during the war because men weren't available.
I find it odd, same sex couples doing dances designed for male/female partners.
Not disgusted at all.

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 02-Sep-20 21:46:24

I don’t really understand how it will work, will the professional female dancer do what she is best at, ie female dance moves and the ‘celebrity’ take the male lead?
They can’t both take the female dance role can they?

I’m sure that Gay people have danced with the opposite sex in the past and have lived to tell the tale, I doubt that it has damaged any of them and don’t really understand why Nicola has insisted on dancing with another female or she wouldn’t take part ( although this might be fake Internet news).

Grandma70s Wed 02-Sep-20 21:26:17

I saw something about this on tv and honestly could not make out what they were on about. It makes no difference to me who dances with whom. Like others here I went to an all-girls school, and so girls routinely danced with girls. I wonder if boys danced with boys at my brother’s school? I never thought to ask.

That said, Joyce Grenfell’s Stately as a Galleon is one of the funniest songs ever.

Chewbacca Wed 02-Sep-20 21:06:21

I'm not gay either but I have a suspicion that "passion vibes" are just as strong and prevalent for homosexual couples as they are for heterosexual couples! smile

Kandinsky Wed 02-Sep-20 20:46:52

I don’t think same sex couples dancing together give off the same ‘passion vibes’ as heterosexual couples. I like the traditional male/ female ballroom partnerships as it tells a better story.
But then I’m not gay.

kittylester Wed 02-Sep-20 20:46:05

Unnecessary gagajo.

Bigoted?

trustgone4sure Wed 02-Sep-20 20:26:47

Tweedle24,i am with you 100%.

HurdyGurdy Wed 02-Sep-20 20:12:14

HurdyGurdy

Am I imagining things or did they have two men dancing together last year. Not as a contestant, but as a show dance?

I seem to recall Graziano was one of them.

I've no issue with same sex couples at all. I did enjoy the two men skating together on DOI

I was right. It was Graziano and Johannes

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-50294741

lemongrove Wed 02-Sep-20 20:07:53

I agree with the OP in that I would find it a bit odd too, watching two women dancing together on Strictly.I enjoy watching a man and woman dancing, they both bring such different aspects to it, and complement one another.
It’s not disgusting or anything approaching that, just not as good to watch in my view.
I am amazed that so many of you even know who Nicola is,
I haven’t ever heard of her, but then I dislike boxing and don’t watch men or women who box.
I have got rather fed up with Strictly, so won’t be watching anyway.

Chewbacca Wed 02-Sep-20 19:50:57

Lucca

Starblaze forgive me but who said anything about disgust ?

That's what I was wondering too Lucca.

MawB2 Wed 02-Sep-20 19:47:23

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj16t-XkMvrAhWRonEKHdW2DtQQyCkwAHoECAgQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DclOdyzP9fcw&usg=AOvVaw0LJqTfE2UwPfbnwTOGwIXQ
Apologies for the length of the link - but worth it.
The incomparable Joyce Grenfell - Stately as a Galleon.

Starblaze Wed 02-Sep-20 19:42:18

Lucca as related to children being born with open minds and prejudice being learned due to left over instincts

Galaxy Wed 02-Sep-20 19:38:33

I would disagree with them which is er ...free speech.

aggie Wed 02-Sep-20 19:37:16

I remember dancing bosom to bosom at functions when partners were in short supply , (men stuck in the bar ) , it wasn’t a comfortable experience , we were both big chested !

Kalu Wed 02-Sep-20 19:21:27

I would read/listen to anyone’s opinion. There will always be others whose views do not concur with mine Nankate but I would never shoot them down of their right of free speech.

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 19:19:15

Starblaze forgive me but who said anything about disgust ?

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 19:18:12

I still don’t see how they can do strictly with social distancing
Be it two men two women one of each or whatever.

GagaJo Wed 02-Sep-20 19:16:27

NanKate

I suspect that anyone who has an opposing view to the comments on this thread, would not have the courage to say anything as they are likely to be shot down.

I do miss free speech.

Ah yes. 'Political correctness gone mad.' The freedom to say what you like no matter how bigoted.

HurdyGurdy Wed 02-Sep-20 19:10:13

Am I imagining things or did they have two men dancing together last year. Not as a contestant, but as a show dance?

I seem to recall Graziano was one of them.

I've no issue with same sex couples at all. I did enjoy the two men skating together on DOI

Starblaze Wed 02-Sep-20 19:03:40

You do have the liberty to say what you like NanKate, what you dont have is a guarantee that others will like or respect you for it or use their own liberty to tell you so.

Which has always been the case, it's just that the Internet exposes you to more people who don't think or feel as you do.

NanKate Wed 02-Sep-20 18:59:56

I suspect that anyone who has an opposing view to the comments on this thread, would not have the courage to say anything as they are likely to be shot down.

I do miss free speech.

Oopsminty Wed 02-Sep-20 18:46:06

lovebeigecardigans1955

I don't watch Strictly but as it's on at tea-time, what would you reply if a small child were to say, "Look Gan Gan, there are two women/men dancing together!" Would you just smile and say, "Oh yes, so there are" and leave it at that?

I just can't imagine a small child noticing this.

Why would they?

Starblaze Wed 02-Sep-20 18:43:35

Disgust is an important instinct that keeps people safe. Learning that certain smells or tastes mean do not eat this...

Disgust is also something that is taught to the younger by the older, its a literal biological instinct to register disgust happening around you as something being unsafe or unhealthy.

Children do not know what is safe and what isn't until registering the look on a parents face and they learn to recognise the look before the language.

Disgust at situations is taught.

Children are not born having any preconceived disgust at different sexualities, it is taught.

This is evident of a child that grows up on a farm with manure smells around, to them that smell is not disgusting because the adults around them are not disgusted by it. They may even like the smell and find it comforting.

There's a lot of research into OCD being born of this instinct

BlueSky Wed 02-Sep-20 18:35:31

GillT57
Nobody's business and hopefully our grandchildren's generation will not give a fig for a person's sexuality, on or off of Strictly.
Let's hope so Gill