Gransnet forums

Chat

Single sex couple on Strictly.

(91 Posts)
Tweedle24 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:43:12

Just heard that, for the first time this year, there will be a single sex couple competing on Strictly.

What do people think about that?

I can’t help thinking that ballroom dancing is designed for a man and a woman. Won’t it be a bit odd?

On the other hand, I have no negative feelings about single sex weddings and feel strongly that people should be allowed to love whom they wish. People’s sex life too, is their business.

I am finding this latest announcement a bit difficult to come to terms with. Am I being narrow-minded?

welbeck Sun 20-Sep-20 15:49:38

anyone remember "rogerina" from the queen video of "I want to break free", over 30 years ago.
i didn't even realise who the schoolgirl was! wonderful.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ

HurdyGurdy Wed 16-Sep-20 19:59:56

Jayt

How much more of this political correctness do we have to accept?

Until prejudice such as this is a thing of the past, and we are all equals in everyone's eyes. Until couples are seen as "two people" and not "one man, one woman", or "two men" or "two women". Just two people.

Sadly, this is unlikely to be in my lifetime

PaperMonster Thu 03-Sep-20 21:09:26

I’ve only ever ballroom danced with another female! And when we went to see Oti Mabuse, her husband and Ian Waite danced beautifully together.

Oopsminty Thu 03-Sep-20 20:05:07

Jayt

As others have said, it's not political correctness

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 20:02:17

And this might cause some people to implode....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ3McIpkeM4

Olé!

Grandma70s Thu 03-Sep-20 19:57:14

I am quite tall, so often had to take male parts in dancing and school plays. I hated it. I never felt remotely like a boy.

I remember seeing The Taming of the Shrew at my brother’s school with all parts played by boys. The one who played Bianca (I think) was quite disconcertingly pretty!

Chewbacca Thu 03-Sep-20 19:47:39

"How much more of this political correctness do we have to accept?"

Until we accept that the way 2 people choose to live their lives is nothing to do with any one else. If they're not impacting upon, hurting anyone or insisting that any one else has to live the same way as they do, it is no one else's business how they live.

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 19:40:40

Nice article and videos about same sex couples (men) in Argentine tango.

www.verytangostore.com/tango-men.html

Callistemon Thu 03-Sep-20 18:03:41

My granddaughter says it’s ok because they are all married to each other !!

Lucca if they weren't before the start of the series, they often are after!

Callistemon Thu 03-Sep-20 18:01:11

I can’t help thinking that ballroom dancing is designed for a man and a woman. Won’t it be a bit odd?

I learnt ballroom dancing at school with another girl as partner. It was an all girls' school. Because she was taller than me, she always took the male part.

I wonder if boys danced with boys at my brother’s school? I never thought to ask.
Probably not, as in my experience the boys from the boys' school were always hopeless at dancing, Grandma70s!

Of course, when putting on Shakespeare plays they had to take the female parts too, as male actors did in Shakespeare's day.

GillT57 Thu 03-Sep-20 17:51:55

We have to accept political correctness until we stop calling it that Jayt and realise that who people choose to fall in love with is none of our business.

mcem Thu 03-Sep-20 17:51:44

Jayt try substituting 'real life' for 'political correctness'.
Welcome to life as it's lived in 2020!

Jayt Thu 03-Sep-20 17:36:47

Alegrias Thu 03-Sep-20 15:46:37

I think Strictly has made us think that there has to be a certain frisson between the dancers and that equates into boy dancing with girl. For instance the whole thing about the rumba having to be "sexy".
I'm looking forward to Nicola and whoever her partner might be introducing a different way of looking at this, so that we can just look at the dancing for its own sake. I'd love it if they swapped roles sometimes, one leading and then the other. And the lifting - well some of the celebrities in the past not been able to do lifts, and its not been a problem.

Charleygirl5 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:11:26

Who will be Nicola's professional dance partner I wonder?
I do like Nicola a lot.

Tweedle24 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:05:38

I seem to have opened a can of worms here. I obviously did not express myself clearly.

I have absolutely no problem whatever with two women dancing together. As others have also said, at my all girls’ school, one of the girls had to ‘be the man’ in ball room dancing lessons.

My question is not based on prejudice. It is just that we are used to seeing the man in his suit and the woman in her fancy dresses and him being able to lift her. It is a convention and what we are used to. These are the only reasons I think it might look a bit odd — aesthetics and custom only. Like everything else, it is a matter of getting used to it,

henetha Thu 03-Sep-20 10:21:34

I love Strictly, the music, the dresses, the dancing, what's not to like? It doesn't bother me in the least if same sex couples are taking part. Get used to it, because this is the way the world is going, and rightly so. One word, - tolerance.

LullyDully Thu 03-Sep-20 08:25:52

We all need something like Strictly as the nights draw in this year of all years.

LullyDully Thu 03-Sep-20 08:25:05

I am assuming we will all start watching and not notice anything unusual in no time. I think Nicola will be in trousers. She wouldn't be comfortable in all the sparkles and pretty, sexy costumes maybe. Let's see what we are all.saying in October.

25Avalon Thu 03-Sep-20 08:00:31

If you are not going to discriminate against them LBGT people have to be allowed to take part just as they are in sport. And we are talking BBC here with the emphasis on minorities and diversities. This is just a logical conclusion.

Lucca Thu 03-Sep-20 07:45:25

Thanks ! I’d do away with tess Daly’s input given the choice !
I only ever watch strictly on catch up so I can just watch the dance and scores and the dresses

Calendargirl Thu 03-Sep-20 07:01:20

Lucca

I still don’t see how they can do strictly with social distancing
Be it two men two women one of each or whatever.

Yesterday I read that the couples will have to be in the same ‘bubble’, so I imagine that will make their home life a bit difficult. Suppose they won’t be able to mix with others, but that would eliminate the social distancing issue?
The series will be shorter, starting late October it said. Let’s hope they do away with the dreadful scream fest that accompanies the ‘reveal your partner’ night.

I had certainly heard of Nicola and Caroline Quentin, but any other names were a mystery to me.

I think that the ‘Nicola, same sex partner’ is something they have wanted to introduce for a while, and this is a good opportunity.

Not be-littling the decision, but they have to come up with something a bit different, or the viewers soon get tired of the same old, same old.

SilentGames Thu 03-Sep-20 05:52:39

Exactly Starblaze

welbeck Thu 03-Sep-20 00:33:46

i think it's important to have as wide a cross section of society as poss represented on tv.
imagine if there were no black participants.
i guess gay/bi people are fed up of being overlooked.
any one remember when it was said that gay stood for, good as you.

Starblaze Wed 02-Sep-20 22:26:30

Lucca I didn't say anybody was, I just thought it was interesting and it related to how children don't tend to look at things and think there is anything wrong with it without a prompt.... Aaannnnd never mind.