Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(42 Posts)
12Michael Thu 03-Sep-20 06:14:14

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dull and grey start here in Brackley with some overnight rain as well.
My usual day out going via Buckingham to To Bicester , there is a new bus on the Bicester to Brackley service which gives next stop display and announcements, this type is not new to me as about 10 years first experience of those type of buses was in London ,and more recently in Harrogate .
Take Care ,
Mick

Feelingmyage55 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:18:51

Good morning from a sunny north of Scotland. The autumn colours are starting to show themselves and I will go for a walk later with a neighbour who has been shielding. The path is wide so we can distance easily. We will be looking for brambles. scentia you are such a busy bee I feel very lazy. marydoll if the chest of drawers is only a tiny bit too big could you take out a piece of skirting board? elizabeth1 enjoy brunch. That is just when I get hungry. You might find some treats to take home too. I hope “gillybob” gets some better news soon.

Taichinan Thu 03-Sep-20 11:01:50

Good morning from a true autumn day on the Angus coast. Got stuck into notifying tai chi people about their classes yesterday, but not even half way through yet. And so far nobody has said they don't want to come back yet, which is good. Day off from that because this afternoon is art group, meaning this morning is housework!

The children have now been back at school for two weeks with the expected rise in Covid cases. It must be so worrying for the shielders, particularly in the cities where people are closer together. I must admit I'm a wee bit nervous about going back to classes, but you have to live while you're alive and all precautions will be taken and observed. Now, off to wield duster and mop, and I hope to have a chance to read all the posts later. (There were 38 posts ahead of me when I started this, so I didn't dare to even peep!). Enjoy your day everyone. ???

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 03-Sep-20 10:53:31

Good morning all from a nearly sunny Harrogate. Yes, Mick Harrogate just about led the way with it's iconic 36 bus. The voice of local TV personalities announce the next destination as well as the display.

The back of the bus has seats with desks for those who want to use their laptops or just work. The phone charging facilities (and internet) are to be found in most of Harrogate's buses. I was very surprised when we were in Hereford area last year to not be able to charge my phone on the bus!!
Hope all are well

Stilllearning Thu 03-Sep-20 10:42:46

Morning from S Lanarkshire, gray and showery. Second haircut yesterday and very mixed feelings about it. I always wore my hair short but like many folk decided to keep it longer. My hairdresser agreed but had lots of staff woes and cut till the end of her story rather than the end of my style!
I now look like an elderly ‘flapper’ from the thirties! Oh well, I’ll just avoid the mirror (not hard) and check again in a couple of weeks.
Enjoy day 2 MOMB and good wishes to all who are struggling a little.

grandMattie Thu 03-Sep-20 10:04:51

Emphatically that, Issipy. I hate wearing shoes so normally go barefoot. Visitors have to learn that “it’s only a house” and they cam keep their shoes on if they like.
Having said that, I can’t bear people eating in the sitting room - other than cake...

Issipy Thu 03-Sep-20 09:42:10

Good morning everyone from a dull West Kent. New friend visiting me at my new(ish) house tomorrow, so I decided to spruce the place up a but. Got on do fast, that I'm done in now...that'll teach me! Should have just said if it's good enough for me, then take me as you find me. What do you all do?

GrannySomerset Thu 03-Sep-20 09:40:02

Did my four loads of laundry yesterday and even got it dry and ironed so I am not doing the washing today. Supermarket run I think since it is too wet to do anything outside and we need supplies. Think I need to set up the occasional delivery so that I have something in place if we are locked down again or we have a horrible winter weather wise. All you GNers make it sound easy but I bet it isnt!

NannyJan53 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:33:22

Good Morning from a rainy Black Country, it also rained all yesterday afternoon.

My 2 DGD's had a good first day at school, the 9 year old said she made new friends at her new Middle school.

Partner has just gone on a cycle ride with the club he joined last year. This is the first group ride since lockdown for him. Only 6 allowed.

I cleaned the bedroom carpets and landing yesterday, so this morning I will do the stairs, then tackle the ironing. Probably bakes scones this afternoon, as the rain looks set in for the day.

Wishing you all a good day.

EllanVannin Thu 03-Sep-20 09:10:11

Good Morning All x.
A very soggy start so it must have chucked it down last night. The sun is trying its best but it's a bit on the weak side.

Have to go to the bank this morning so will get a taxi and just ask him to wait and bring me back, rather than risk the bus, yet.
Neighbour and I are going to M&S's this afternoon so my list is done and will probably wear a mask for the first time when out. I bought 2 boxes of 50 months ago and apart from giving D a packet, I've never opened them.

I'll certainly have to shake myself in readiness for going further afield as I've had no routine since March and have more or less been in hermit mode which isn't good for anyone. Once in the shop, it'll all come back to me grin

Hope everyone else's day goes to plan.
Talking about curtain twitchers I think a flat nearby is shortly to be occupied as I overheard a conversation yesterday. The flat had been vacant since before the lockdown and had been thoroughly refurbished beforehand. The couple looked very nice from where I was spying and I heard the boss saying it was quite a nice quiet area. I believe there had been lots of interest over the months.

Must get on so stay safe and well everyone and take care whatever you do xx Enjoy your day. Thoughts to our friends. flowers

Marydoll Thu 03-Sep-20 08:56:01

Thanks Auntieflo, keeping busy takes my mind off my ailments and family worries.
It's very therapeutic.
I will make one batch, test it ? have a rest and do the next one.

It's a surprise for my friend, so if it doesn't work out, she will never know!?

Georgesgran Thu 03-Sep-20 08:55:57

Good morning from Durham where we’ve had heavy rain from about 8pm last night, but dry (only just) now.

Yesterday DH and I went to a rooftop carpark and found the machine only taking cash - it’s been card only for weeks, so a real problem. I told him I only had 50p on me, overheard by a young woman walking past, who handed me another 50p meaning we could get a couple of hours. How kind - restores the faith??

Coffee with an old friend this morning. She’s having trouble finding Day Care for her Mother as her siblings say it’s too expensive and they have POA after a fall out over money some years ago. Makes me glad I was an only child.

Have a safe day. X

Anniebach Thu 03-Sep-20 08:52:36

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Gelisajams Thu 03-Sep-20 08:50:51

Good morning from a dry at the moment Morecambe Bay. It was torrential at times yesterday.
A bit of Pilates shortly then we are going to attempt to put a rope barrier across the edge of the garden. It’s quite a drop down and we have talked about doing this since we moved in. Our friends in Shetland gave us some rope, so today could be the day we put it up. The posts are already in situ. We tried to see what it would look like with a length of hosepipe but that didn’t work. If it works I’ll post pics tomorrow.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Auntieflo Thu 03-Sep-20 08:41:35

Good morning Mick, Annie and all. I like the sound of your buses Mick

Firstly, many thanks for all the good wishes yesterday. DD rang at supper time and sang to us, after apologising for not sending a card. Bless her, she and her DH are so good to us.

It is overcast here, so I hope the rain holds off, as I am taking myself out and about today.
DH has an appointment for an endoscopy, and we don't know how long that will take. He is being driven by the local volunteer drivers scheme, who are a godsend for hospital visits. He has had a rough couple of years and it is taking it's toll.
MOMB, your walking trip sounds lovely, if wet, at the moment, but at least you wont get bitten by midges, or will you?.
A bit of curtain twitching sounds interesting Grandmattie, and a hot tub is just what I could do with right now.
Thank you Nortsat for the heads up about the proms. I was beginning to think we had missed Nicola Benedetti. I remember her from Young Musicians. Something to look forward to tonight.
Marydoll, are you feeling up to making tablet? You should still be taking things slow and steady. Not any consolation to you, but I saw the most beautiful, upcycled, sideboard in the local Hospice shop yesterday. It had been painted in a rich, dark blue, but had a Sold note on it.
Hoping that Gillybob is OK.
To all who are unwell, or not feeling great, have a virtual hug.

Have a good day one and all.

Greyduster Thu 03-Sep-20 08:31:10

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a cool, grey, breezy, damp South Yorkshire. GS’s first day back at school today and he is walking the mile and a half, as he has always done, so I wished for some sunshine for him. Not to be. I think nerves were getting the better of him last night. He won’t be the only one I’m sure. Not much to do here today except to get back on the new sofa trail we left at lockdown, only to find now that the one we liked is no longer available!
Momb a good start to your walk??. Hope the weather dries up for you! Have a good safe day everyone.

Lins1066 Thu 03-Sep-20 08:31:10

Good Morning Mick and all from a cloudy S Welsh coast.
A day of tidying and sorting ahead, nothing too much.
An online food delivery due mid afternoon. Take care everyone.

Kalu Thu 03-Sep-20 08:23:52

Baroque fan here Nortsat and I agree Nicola Benedetti’s playing is a joy to listen to. At one concert in Edinburgh, she introduced her sister to perform with her and their chosen piece was Gardel’s Por Una Cabeza. If you like classical tango music, Astor Piazolla has composed what I enjoy listening to and something you may enjoy too. I hope your friend recovers quickly.

Grammaretto Thu 03-Sep-20 08:14:42

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Clear today but wet after such a heavy downpour yesterday. The grass didn't get cut.
momb I feel for you. I walked some of the WHW in beautiful sunshine 30 years ago. I'd have given up if it had been too wet.
Those new buses Mick are better although there's nothing like asking out loud for getting the locals to give you instructions.
Nice to see Elizabeth1 posting.
Have a good Thursday everyone.

MellowYellow Thu 03-Sep-20 08:11:43

Morning everyone, it's drizzly in my corner of south Cornwall. Nortsat Baroque is my very favourite so thanks for the info, I'd have missed it otherwise. 'Talking' bus displays were introduced here a while back Mick and it tickles me that they have a proper Cornish accent (no disrepect meant, I'm Cornish born and bred).

No small children today. When it was time to go home last night they complained in tandem! grin Got a free Costa coffee via my mobile phone provider to enjoy today. Otherwise a lovely peaceful crafting day methinks. The best of days to you all.

Marydoll Thu 03-Sep-20 08:05:01

Good morning all from a very damp Glasgow. I thought of you yesterday, MOBB when we had so much torrential rain. Is it Drymen to Rowardennan today? I hope the weather picks up, so that you can enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Mick that type of bus is a godsend when we are in Rome. Last year we went to visit the only Catacombs we hadn't seen, on the other side of Rome and counted forty two bus stops, before we reached them. I was starting to panic, thinking we were lost!

Grandmattie, it was a delivery of injections I was getting yesterday. They cost £10,000 per year and are delivered every 8 weeks in an armoured van. ?
I must have done the injection properly on Monday, as I have felt rubbish ever since. ?
On a positive note, the side effects appear to be lessening. ☺️

The plan today is to make the tablet for my friend's son's wedding on Saturday. My trip to Sainsbury's was to get sugar, I forgot! DD kindly arrived last night with it, as my family don't want me out and about at the moment. She said that people are clearing the shelves in the supermarket again.☹️
We are all on tenterhooks about the wedding being allowed to go ahead.
Instead of numbers going down here, they are rising and now cases have been confirmed at the tip in the neighbouring town. It's really worrying.

As my wee DDG is now at school, my son has decided we can have no contact with her to keep me safe. He was just beginning to talk to us again after his refusal to come to the wedding and haven't seen her.? I'm finding it all very difficult.

I spent ages yesterday looking for a quirky chest of drawers for my craft room, found one I loved, but it was just too wide for it's corner.? Back to the drawing board today.

Thinking as always of all who are struggling and for anyone with a special celebration today, enjoy!

Pittcity Thu 03-Sep-20 08:00:40

Good morning from a grey, humid Colchester. I am usually woken by the dustmen on a Thursday, but this morning it was DPD at 7am......
DH left to go fishing at stupid o' clock and I had gone back to sleep.
It seems to be washing day on GN, so I have a load on. It'll be hung in the spare room if the forecasted rain arrives.

Susan56 Thu 03-Sep-20 07:59:54

Good morning from Shropshire.

DGD stayed overnight and today we are going for a girls day with DD before DGD starts school tomorrow.I had said I would buy her out of school shoes as she isn’t overly impressed with her black school shoes.She has requested mermaid rainbow shoes so we’ll see what we can find.

Hope you are ok gilly?

Have a good day all what ever you have planned.Sending good wishes to all our absent good morningers.

Jaxjacky Thu 03-Sep-20 07:54:11

Good morning Mick and all from a grey, damp S Hants, quiet day today and DH not working. Was going to cut the front grass but too wet and I think the tomatoes, looking very sad, are near their end. DD back to school today where she works, two inset days, looks like we may have GC’s tomorrow, they are fully aware of distancing and no bother.
I still feel restrained in what we do, I’m not quite sure what I want to do that I can’t though!! most peculiar...Stay safe and enjoy your Thursday all.

Kalu Thu 03-Sep-20 07:53:03

Good morning all from Perthshire where if I look left we have blue skies, look right, it’s grey but looks to be breaking up which means a pleasant drive home later.

My neighbour had some shopping to do in Perth yesterday and it was decided her dog would spend some time with me. Rory, a black lab., knows me so well and readily made himself at home. It was lovely having a dog around the house again.

A walk from Milngavie to Drymen is quite a feat Momb. Hope the weather is favourable for the next part of your journey.

I read your good news late yesterday Cherry What a relief for you. It must have been an anxious time for you but I am pleased to hear you got the all clear for another year. Good health until your next appointment.

What a disappointment you’re supermarket visit was yesterday Marydoll. The best part of going there is a mooch around the clothing and home depts.?

Not much to do here so I will pack up, do a quick tidy, and head home at sometime early afternoon which will be a pleasant drive now as the sun has now broken through.

My best wishes for a pleasant day all.

Grandmabatty Thu 03-Sep-20 07:49:23

Good morning All. Grey and breezy in Polmont this morning. I'm babysitting this morning so I was rudely awoken by the alarm, a rare thing as I'm usually awake but not this morning. I had been up for painkillers in the night as my foot was gowping. Good Scots word! So I suppose that's why I slept so deeply. Momb I am in awe of anyone doing the West Highland way. My son did it a couple of years ago. scentia once you start online food shopping, you won't want to stop. Apart from babysitting, I have a quiet day planned. Yesterday I visited mum who was on her best behaviour, then called in to a friend for coffee. She's lost her mum and selling the family home, so is a bit sad just now. Then a WhatsApp chat in the afternoon with other friends so it was a social day for me. Have a good day all.