Gransnet forums

Chat

Students in Drag ridicule Transwomen?

(35 Posts)
FarNorth Sat 05-Sep-20 20:08:12

www.cambrian-news.co.uk/article.cfm?id=133844&headline=Aberystwyth+Students%27+Union+bans+drag+socials+as+they+are+%27used+to+ridicule+trans+people%27§ionIs&searchyear=2020&fbclid=IwAR240L-88Kjh8g-awbD692uOAUnc_NscfGC4--ZwgquUxm68jY9qnsuKKAc

I'm confused by this.

Drag artists have always ridiculed women and nobody (much) minded.
How can anyone tell that students in drag would be ridiculing transwomen, rather than actual women?
Why don't transwomen just lighten up, like women who dislike drag acts are told to do?

FarNorth Sat 05-Sep-20 20:11:48

An extract from the article :

Aberystwyth SU told The Tab: “Including ‘drag socials’ as an example of a banned theme is because they are usually about members of random groups dressing up as the opposite gender in a general way that has the intention of being as funny as possible and not as a celebration of LGBTQ+ pride or sexual liberation in the same way that drag is.

phoenix Sat 05-Sep-20 20:56:12

Not sure about this.

Going back a looong time, did Danny La Rue "ridicule" women? In more recent times, did Paul O' Grady (as Lily Savage) "ridicule" women? I think they actually sort of celebrated the strength of women.

I don't think they did ridicule women, but happy to be corrected if I'm wrong!

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 21:10:17

I'm confused

Love Paul O'Grady and his programmes about dogs.

EllanVannin Sat 05-Sep-20 21:18:20

Paul O'Grady is an absolute treasure. Such a caring man.

TerriBull Sat 05-Sep-20 21:43:50

I was a child when Danny La Rue was around, I suppose I was aware in my child like brain back then that he wasn't an actual woman, but a man dressed up as one, a sort of glamourous pantomime dame if you like. In retrospect my thoughts were Why does he do what he does, I don't know any women who looks and behaves like that and in dressing up in such an exaggerated way he came across in my mind as ridiculous and annoying.

Moving on. as an adult I discovered Paul O'Grady and did like his acid tongued "Lily Savage" persona and by then I think I even recognised the type.

I do think drag queens parody women in the their over the top exaggerated way, although I have to say that these days the look exemplified by Kardashians/Katie Price/Towie et al give drag queens a run for their money in how they present themselves in that absolutely nothing is natural.

Anyway one has to give it to drag artists some have the most sublime pseudonyms such as "Betty Swallocks" far more interesting than some bog standard moniker like Brenda or Maureen! and frankly yes that name is a piss take, but it's also very funny.

lemongrove Sat 05-Sep-20 22:22:15

I’ve never found drag artists remotely funny, interesting or worth watching and the success of Danny La Rue was amazing.....who were all his fans!Weird.
Pantomime dames were just sinister.
I don’t know OP, why it should only offend trans women and not women, except it’s harder for a trans woman to look the part?

grumppa Sat 05-Sep-20 22:39:27

I have never seen rhe point of drag queens, but I can't see that they're anything but harmless. Pantomime dames can be funny in tbe context of pantomime, but they need to be balanced by a female principal boy; let's face it, pantos are a bit weird!

suziewoozie Sat 05-Sep-20 22:42:22

Spot on lemon. I always felt there was something distinctly uncomfortable and yes, creepy, about drag. Why? Just why? Somehow, it’s always felt anti-woman to me.

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 22:52:14

I did like Dame Edna.
She always took the proverbial out of people!!

Callistemon Sat 05-Sep-20 22:53:12

I think Barry Humphries took the proverbial out of drag queens too, in fact.

Oopsminty Sat 05-Sep-20 23:03:32

I'm very find of drag artists

They are often hugely hilarious

I was at a theme park and going back to the hotel there was one at the door greeting us.

I ended up laughing so much I practically stopped breathing.

And I do like Lily Savage?Paul O'Grady

I miss Lily.

Fennel Sun 06-Sep-20 12:06:44

At one time in the theatre etc all parts were played by men and boys. I suppose they were accepted as there had never been any different.
Would people laugh if women always played male parts?

Elegran Sun 06-Sep-20 12:22:05

Drag artists have always ridiculed women. Some trans women look as though they are ridiculing women, when they wear clothes that are exaggeratedly feminine. If women say they dislike being ridiculed, they are told that they are over-sensitive about the drag artists and abusive to the sensitive trans women.

Join the club, trans women - this is what being a woman is really about - called a wimp because you object to one thing, a bully because you object to another

Callistemon Sun 06-Sep-20 12:41:28

Join the club, trans women - this is what being a woman is really about - called a wimp because you object to one thing, a bully because you object to another

Yup, welcome to the Society of the Oppressed and Objectified!

trisher Sun 06-Sep-20 13:02:00

So because you feel women are ridiculed you want others to feel that way as well. Is that really inclusive and feminist? I don't have a problem with Drag Queens. As I understand it it is mostly about exploring your personality, developing confidence, building and expressing your individuality.
It does sound as if the student drag nights had been taken over by a group or groups who were ridiculing others. So it's probably best they have gone.

Starblaze Sun 06-Sep-20 13:05:39

I read it and it seemed to say that specifically the event being used to ridicule trans people openly and directly was the issue? Not the idea of drag itself?

Did I get that wrong?

Not really sure what I think about it all in general because I think people's feelings are valid whether or not I share them.

Personally not felt ridiculed as a woman by it, maybe that depends on experience

Callistemon Sun 06-Sep-20 13:08:11

So because you feel women are ridiculed you want others to feel that way as well. Is that really inclusive and feminist?

Who said that?

No-one

Elegran Sun 06-Sep-20 13:15:18

Not me!

EllanVannin Sun 06-Sep-20 13:19:52

My friend and I once saw a fabulous show while we were in Spain. It featured " drag queens " miming to singers and it was brilliant with the most beautiful costumes/dresses etc. and very clever it was too. I think friend and I were the only straight ones there but we were treated superbly by everyone------and not a fight in sight either inside the venue or outside !! It was a most enjoyable night.

Starblaze Sun 06-Sep-20 13:22:27

Maybe there is an inherant difference in drag as a life choice and a means of expression of all the aspects of what makes them who they are and drag for a laugh....

trisher Sun 06-Sep-20 13:25:25

Elegran Could you please explain this to me then because that is how I read it. Sorry if I got it wrong Join the club, trans women - this is what being a woman is really about - called a wimp because you object to one thing, a bully because you object to another

Sparklefizz Sun 06-Sep-20 13:42:34

lemongrove

I’ve never found drag artists remotely funny, interesting or worth watching and the success of Danny La Rue was amazing.....who were all his fans!Weird.
I don’t know OP, why it should only offend trans women and not women, except it’s harder for a trans woman to look the part?

Totally agree, lemon.

SueDonim Sun 06-Sep-20 14:12:57

lemongrove

Agreed! I’ve never felt comfortable with women being mocked by men. Drag artists never seem to imitate the likes of Ena Sharples or Nora Batty.

Starblaze Sun 06-Sep-20 14:15:01

Lol!