Gransnet forums

Chat

Woolly jumpers

(65 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 10-Sep-20 19:07:02

I buy most clothes from charity shops but woollies are hard to find without bobbles. I think it’s time to invest in some new ones, like from a real shop!
I gave up M&S because they don’t wash well. So where do others buy basic jumpers, not expensive, which can be machine washed and don’t go bobbly?

Doodledog Sat 12-Sep-20 12:44:31

Callistemon

The trouble with acrylic is that it is a plastic and the fibres get washed down to the sea.

^And these tiny fibres — less than 5 millimeters in length, with diameters measured in micrometers (one-thousandth of a millimeter) — can eventually reach the ocean. There, they’re adding to the microplastic pollution that’s accumulating in the food chain and being ingested by all sorts of marine wildlife, and even us. Most of the plastic that’s in the ocean, in terms of number of pieces, is not in the form of whole products like cups or straws, but instead broken-down shreds of plastic.^

This is one of the reasons I don't buy it. I also find that although it is nowhere near as warm as natural fibres it can be sweaty to wear.

M&S used to be really good for jumpers. I still have an ancient aran sweater that belonged to my father (who died nearly 30 years ago). It has a St Michael label, and apart from a couple of mended moth bites, it is going strong.

sparklingsilver28 Sat 12-Sep-20 12:45:45

Because I feel the cold, I am an Alpaca and Cashmere fan too. I must be missing something. Over many years my Alpaca collection from "Spirit of the Andes" and assure you they cost considerably more than £30.

Surprised to read M&S does not wash well. I have a considerable colourful collection of its cashmere, wool and mix sweaters and cardigans (love twinsets) many twenty years old and more. Washed regularly on delicate machine wash and hung on ceiling rake to dry. Look as good today as when first bought.

Alpaca is lovely light weight and cosily warm - and no itching.

PamelaJ1 Sat 12-Sep-20 12:57:56

Fennel
Looked at that link thank you. I really like the pink tunic but it’s only available in S andES. I’m size 12. What are their sizing like? Does anyone know if they are generous or not? It’s quite a baggy style anyway so I may risk it.

Harris27 Sat 12-Sep-20 13:00:29

I’ve had m&s tunic jumpers for years and they have always washed well. Haven’t bought any recently though?

Alexa Sat 12-Sep-20 17:54:45

Callistemon, I know. You are quite right. Wool is biodegradable. May be British wool is kinder to the sheep than Australian wool, but possibly more expensive.

I stopped buying cashmere when i learned the fibre is taken off the goats before the cold season and they are left shivering in the cold.

M0nica Mon 14-Sep-20 13:05:42

The problem is there is nothing we do in anyway that doesn't present some kind of ethical issue. We just have to balance them all and then decide what aspect is most important to us as individuals.

In this case polluting the ocean v animal cruelty.

Doodledog Mon 14-Sep-20 13:17:19

M0nica

The problem is there is nothing we do in anyway that doesn't present some kind of ethical issue. We just have to balance them all and then decide what aspect is most important to us as individuals.

In this case polluting the ocean v animal cruelty.

By no means all natural fibres are obtained in cruel ways! Mulesing can be cruel, but many producers would dream of using this method of shearing, so it is not a simple choice between one evil and another.

It can be difficult to get information about the provenance of yarn after it has been made into garments, but relatively easy to do so if you knit them yourself. If knitting is not your ‘thing’, though, you can source garments made from ethically produced yarns if you want to.

The chances are, unfortunately, that the cheaper the jumper or the yarn, the more likely it is to have involved cruelty. Buying clothes made from organic fibres, or yarns from small producers is much more likely to be both animal and planet-friendly.

JenniferEccles Mon 14-Sep-20 13:22:58

I’ve never had trouble with M and S jumpers.

John Lewis is another good bet but I tend to be influenced by colour.
If I fancy buying a certain colour I will buy one regardless of where it was from!

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 16:24:48

Mulesing may be banned soon in Australia although not all are convinced that it is cruel and think it is better than a merino sheep dying in agony from flystrike.

We're not talking of little flocks of sheep on small British farms gathered in by Bess the sheepdog- some Australian sheep stations may have 60,000 head of sheep on tens of thousands of square kilometres.

Buying clothes made from organic fibres, or yarns from small producers is much more likely to be both animal and planet-friendly. And does not involve sweat shops.
Unfortunately most people are not going to do that.

Doodledog Mon 14-Sep-20 17:27:52

No, I realise that, but it isn't the case that we have to choose between hurting the planet and hurting animals.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:32:08

I actually like TU at Sainsburys for jumpers

Alexa Mon 14-Sep-20 17:39:34

Callistemon, maybe the problem is the merino sheep breed and its long staple wool that includes too much wool around its bottom. Plus, of course the demands of the market for cheap new clothing.

watermeadow Mon 14-Sep-20 17:45:06

I have a charity shop alpaca cardigan, beautifully soft and machine washable (I use liquid for cashmere)
I want natural fabrics but not merino wool because of the cruelty involved.
EWM woolies wash well but ye gods, who designs them? Nothing without fancy bits and embellishments.
It seems I must pay £50 for a new jumper so I’ll stick to charity shops.

ayse Mon 14-Sep-20 17:52:14

Just had a look at Uniqlo. Their merino jumpers look great and not too expensive. They are much more expensive in NZ where my daughter lives.

If anyone needs bed socks, walking socks etc. I bought some for family in NZ and they really loved them. Great colours as well.

Perilla is the company