Gransnet forums

Chat

" Airing " the ironing?

(43 Posts)
Mirren Sat 12-Sep-20 12:29:48

I appreciate many of you don't iron your laundry these days but , I wondered, if you do iron , do you then " air " your clothes on a clothes horse ?
I was brought up doing this and it's an integral part of my laundry routine. The ironing "airs" overnight and is put away next morning.
My sister does this too , using the same routine we obviously learned from Mum .
However, my DD ( who doesn't iron) smiled at this ancient custom the other day.
Apparently no one else does this and clothes horses are only ever used for drying clothes indoors .
Please tell me that my sister and I are not the only dinosaurs carrying on this time honoured ( and comforting ) routine x

tanith Sat 12-Sep-20 12:34:10

I used to put ironing in my airing cupboard for a few days but as I’ve ironed less and less I don’t bother as I only iron dresses and shirts that will hang in the wardrobe anyway. All that’s in the airing cupboard now are clean towels.

Anniebach Sat 12-Sep-20 12:40:47

Don’t iron now but when i did the ironed clothes always put on clothes horse, if I could use an iron now I would do the same again.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 12-Sep-20 12:42:11

I am happy to call myself either a dinosaur or an old fogey, pick whichever term suits.
I dry stuff outside, weather permitting, then bring it in and put it on clotheshorses while it awaits ironing. I've just finished that task this morning and while I don't always put it on clothes horses afterwards I certainly leave it knocking about nicely folded on the ironing board for a while before I bother to put it away in the wardrobe. I call it 'airing' - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. brew anyone?

Calendargirl Sat 12-Sep-20 12:42:11

Yes, I air everything. This time of year in the conservatory, in winter near radiators.

My dear mum used to think I didn’t air stuff properly.Heaven knows what she would think to DIL, who puts stuff away when I feel sure it is still damp (not that I say so of course).

Mum would say it will lead to rheumatism in old age. I comfort myself by thinking I won’t be here to see it if so.

aggie Sat 12-Sep-20 12:45:19

My Aunt aired all her babies clothes ........ in the bottom oven ! The clothes all had “tan “ !

PamelaJ1 Sat 12-Sep-20 12:49:24

I iron then put in the airing cupboard.
Isn’t that what it’s for?

Lexisgranny Sat 12-Sep-20 12:53:48

When I was a child my mother ironed everything that she had washed with the exception of towels, and the only items that she didn’t put into her huge airing cupboard afterwards were dusters. She was a great ironer. I avoid it whenever possible and I don’t actually have an airing cupboard - she would be appalled!

Esspee Sat 12-Sep-20 12:54:54

I rarely iron. On the odd occasion I bother I do hang the items afterwards before putting them away or using them.

Marmight Sat 12-Sep-20 12:55:54

If anything seems a bit damp, unless I am going to iron it which dries it anyway, I give it 10 minutes in the drier which at the same time gets rid of any creases. Problem solved. blush

Charleygirl5 Sat 12-Sep-20 12:57:18

In the days when I did iron, I did what you did because it was the way my mother taught me. I aired clothes individually and not in a pile. I do not think you are a dinosaur.

Unfortunately my airing cupboard is taken up with rather an over large boiler and bits for the solar panels.

Harris27 Sat 12-Sep-20 12:58:19

I take it off the washing line and iron it and pop it over the radiators or have a three pronged Airer and leave it in their till I come home from work. Then put it away.

Cabbie21 Sat 12-Sep-20 13:00:29

I don’t iron much, but I put the ironed items in a pile or on hangers to take upstairs. Occasionally if an item is still damp, Eg if I have taken it straight off the clothes dryer, I will put it back on the dryer to finish off.
I don’t have an airing cupboard since we went over to a combi boiler.

Magdass Sat 12-Sep-20 13:04:16

my husband does all the ironing while listening to woman's hour

Davida1968 Sat 12-Sep-20 13:07:26

DH does the ironing; this is mostly the "small linens" (like tea-towels, table-napkins, table-cloths, hankies) so that they store easily in drawers. Most clothes are hung up (on hangers) after washing and don't need ironing. I see "airing" as part of the washing process: once anything is dry and/or ironed, then it's put away!

H1954 Sat 12-Sep-20 13:15:00

Yes, I air all the ironing, preferably overnight too. I always use steam and lots of it when I'm ironing so stuff does get a bit damp. Don't iron undies, socks, towels/tea towels or fitted sheets though - life is far too short ?

ExD Sat 12-Sep-20 13:19:52

Is it a throwback from the days before electric irons, when everything had to be slightly damp if it was to be ironed successfully?

JackyB Sat 12-Sep-20 15:06:07

I iron everything with a steam iron, so by default, they are a little damp. I spread them out across the clothes airer. Teatowels I hang on the airer.

Germans don't have airing cupboards. They don't even have linen cupboards nor can I think of a German word for either. The airing cupboard in the UK is usually warmed by the boiler from the heating system. Here in Germany houses have cellars and the boiler room is downstairs and not really a place where you would like to put your washing. However, I do sometimes hang outer clothes (tee shirts, jeans) on a dryer in there, because, despite loads of insulation round the boiler and heating system, it is quite warm and dries them better in the winter.

tiredoldwoman Sat 12-Sep-20 15:12:58

I'm an airer after ironing too , it makes 100% sure that the items are dry and won't turn smelly if put away damp !

TrendyNannie6 Sat 12-Sep-20 15:19:28

Yes, air them first then iron

GrannySomerset Sat 12-Sep-20 15:25:17

I am currently reading GN rather than tackle the ironing pile which I swear breeds if left for long. I hate in ironed bedding, don’t mind doing shirts and clothes generally so am glad we have a large airing cupboard housing the hot water cylinder (well lagged) to finish the job off.

rockgran Sat 12-Sep-20 15:55:59

I always leave shirts, etc. on hangers outside the wardrobe overnight. I couldn't just put stuff away without airing in some way.

paddyanne Sat 12-Sep-20 16:00:05

Yes,ironed and onto winterdykes that were Mr Paddy's granny's ,then into the wardrobe or drawers

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 16:02:26

PamelaJ1

I iron then put in the airing cupboard.
Isn’t that what it’s for?

Yes. I always put ironed items in the airing cupboard which also has a changing rail.
Steam irons make clothes a bit damp.

However, some houses don't have airing cupboards and with a combi boiler there's no need for a hot water cylinder.

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 16:02:58

Hanging rail.

Auto text changed it