Gransnet forums

Chat

" Airing " the ironing?

(44 Posts)
Mirren Sat 12-Sep-20 12:29:48

I appreciate many of you don't iron your laundry these days but , I wondered, if you do iron , do you then " air " your clothes on a clothes horse ?
I was brought up doing this and it's an integral part of my laundry routine. The ironing "airs" overnight and is put away next morning.
My sister does this too , using the same routine we obviously learned from Mum .
However, my DD ( who doesn't iron) smiled at this ancient custom the other day.
Apparently no one else does this and clothes horses are only ever used for drying clothes indoors .
Please tell me that my sister and I are not the only dinosaurs carrying on this time honoured ( and comforting ) routine x

Calendargirl Sun 13-Sep-20 07:51:47

When DS and DIL were first living together, we visited one evening to go out with them for a drink, I was horrified to see him take a pair of jeans straight out of the washing machine, intending to wear them!
Despite not wanting to interfere!, I protested, he did agree they were somewhat ‘damp’, and wore something else. DIL seemed to be not at all concerned.

Hence my earlier post about DIL and airing clothes!

?

cornergran Sun 13-Sep-20 07:01:46

We share the ironing, most things get ironed here and yes, aired afterwards. The cupboard housing the combi boiler is big enough to use for an airing cupboard, clothes on hangers go on over door hooks in the spare bedroom. Old habits smile.

absent Sun 13-Sep-20 06:30:41

I am an unrepentant compulsive ironer. My Ma always put the ironing on a rack to air, but I think that was because she lightly sprinkled the dry laundry with water to make the process of ironing more effective. Now we have lightweight steam irons, I don't think that is necessary.

P.s. My daughter tries to smuggle the tea towels into the kitchen drawer if she helps to bring in the laundry. I always find them, take them out and put them in the ironing basket.

Franbern Sun 13-Sep-20 02:36:18

So many home no longer having an airing cupboard of any sort, due to Combi boilers not having to have a large tank of hot water taking up room.
Less and less clothes require ironing these days.
Living now in a flat I can no longer hang washing outside, but find my new heat pump dryer does a wonderful and very quick job.
So, in washing machine in the morning - in tumble dryer later in the morning,. After lunch everything taken out, folded carefully and put away in wardrobes, cupboard, drawers etc. Wonderful, nothing hanging around anywhere.
I have occasionally purchased something and then realised it is pure cotton or linen, and these do require a quick run over with the steam iron. I do that as soon as rest is put away, so these articles can join them,
Even back in the day when there was always a pile of ironing - I NEVER ironed things like tea towels, towels, etc. Can remember there used to be a tv advert for a washing powder which showed a woman ironing terry nappies and I always shouted at her for being stupid.

Nonogran Sat 12-Sep-20 19:12:10

Yes. I iron & air items afterwards. I line dry everything & use damask dinner napkins every day. They are best ironed straight from the line - then put to air on my "clothes horse." Anything else joins them in the sun lounge. The notion of risking any item being put away ever so slightly damp, risking a musty smell, is not something I wish to be troubled by!!

BlueBelle Sat 12-Sep-20 18:16:03

From the washing line I straighten 99% out and hang straight up in the wardrobe so neither iron or air
In winter time they will go on the airer or in the tumble dryer
I find the absolute least house things I can get away with

A great tip if a top is a bit crumpled and is man made not cotton or linen I just put it on me , hold it out straight away from my body and use my hairdryer whilst drying my hair It brings all the creases and crumples out

Badgranma Sat 12-Sep-20 18:13:30

I miss having an airing cupboard.

Luckylegs Sat 12-Sep-20 18:06:36

My mum was obsessed with airing. If my brother wanted to wear a shirt immediately after it had been ironed, mum would put it to the mirror to see if it caused condensation, I suppose, before it was dangled in front of the gas fire and then he was allowed to put it on!

PamelaJ1 Sat 12-Sep-20 18:03:17

I once started a system where I ironed when I needed an item to wear,
It was truly amazing how few things I really really needed?
Callistemon we are a bit behind the times here in N Norfolk. I love my airing cupboard

Alexa Sat 12-Sep-20 18:00:25

I replaced a picture hook and picture above my stair radiator with a coat hook and it is good for drying off tee shirts and jumpers even coats, The draught up the stairs make this a very good airing place, so I also keep a clothes horse there.

eazybee Sat 12-Sep-20 17:35:11

My mother, and father,not that he ever did any ironing, were obsessed with airing, but that was because the house was cold and frequently damp. I drape large ironed articles over the banisters, to let them cool down so they won't crease, Then I fold them up to put them away, creased.

Grannmarie Sat 12-Sep-20 17:33:32

Winterdykes...
Thanks for that, Paddyanne, it took me right back to my childhood, I haven't heard it for such a long time!
I put wet washing on the 'clothes horse' to dry, when nearly dry I pop most items in the tumble dryer to finish off/ fluff up towels, cuts down on ironing.
When I do iron jeans, tops etc I put them on hangers then into the wardrobes.
I think some of the English Grans call the winterdykes/ clothes horse a 'maiden' ?

BlueSky Sat 12-Sep-20 17:16:29

My MIL used to be obsessed with airing clothes, maintaining that otherwise you catch colds, pneumonia and rheumatism! I guess this stemmed from the old days of damp cold rooms, nowadays with central heating and dryers clothes are even too dry!

ninathenana Sat 12-Sep-20 16:36:30

I've never heard of this process. Mum was the type to iron every thing. T-towels, underwear etc. but she never put it on the airer afterwards.

Grandma70s Sat 12-Sep-20 16:24:38

We did have an airing cupboard but it was mostly inhabited by the cat, who loved the warmth.

midgey Sat 12-Sep-20 16:09:08

Paddyanne its a great word!

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 16:06:58

I always put ironed items in the airing cupboard

I lied
DH does it all.

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 16:04:42

winterdykes

I've never heard that word before paddyanne
I did Google it so I know now!

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 16:02:58

Hanging rail.

Auto text changed it

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 16:02:26

PamelaJ1

I iron then put in the airing cupboard.
Isn’t that what it’s for?

Yes. I always put ironed items in the airing cupboard which also has a changing rail.
Steam irons make clothes a bit damp.

However, some houses don't have airing cupboards and with a combi boiler there's no need for a hot water cylinder.

paddyanne Sat 12-Sep-20 16:00:05

Yes,ironed and onto winterdykes that were Mr Paddy's granny's ,then into the wardrobe or drawers

rockgran Sat 12-Sep-20 15:55:59

I always leave shirts, etc. on hangers outside the wardrobe overnight. I couldn't just put stuff away without airing in some way.

GrannySomerset Sat 12-Sep-20 15:25:17

I am currently reading GN rather than tackle the ironing pile which I swear breeds if left for long. I hate in ironed bedding, don’t mind doing shirts and clothes generally so am glad we have a large airing cupboard housing the hot water cylinder (well lagged) to finish the job off.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 12-Sep-20 15:19:28

Yes, air them first then iron

tiredoldwoman Sat 12-Sep-20 15:12:58

I'm an airer after ironing too , it makes 100% sure that the items are dry and won't turn smelly if put away damp !