Gransnet forums

Chat

Why is everyone so bothered about the rule of 6 and Christmas.....

(109 Posts)
M0nica Mon 14-Sep-20 19:15:05

...or Halloween. Remember the shut down at the end of Ramadan? The evening before Eid, the big celebration for Muslims, with homes and restaurants stacked with food and tables laid. Then the government pulled the rug from under them. No national outrage then.

What about Diwali, due mid November? I haven't seen any outrage over the fact that that celebration as well will be affected. As it is six weeks before Christmas, it is more likely to be affected.

Yes, we all love Christmas and Halloween, it will be sad if there are limitations, but let us remember all those other communities who do not celebrate Christmas and whose own celebrations and festivals, are as important to them as Christmas is to us, currently, they seem to be expected to just grin and bear it. If they have/will have to do it then so can we.

Katek Mon 14-Sep-20 21:17:10

We don’t know yet what we’ll be able to do in 12 weeks but we’re making plans to accommodate all eventualities! We’re hiring a camper van for a week and visiting assorted offspring for a couple of days each. I’m quite excited actually-always fancied a camper van! The village is still having a tree and lights, we’re doing a virtual panto and there are moves afoot to get every house in the village to light up their front windows. There’s also a virtual Halloween being planned. Where there’s a will and all that!

Iam64 Mon 14-Sep-20 21:19:36

MOnica, our area has a large Muslim community. There seemed general agreement that the announcement that effectively cancelled Eid coming the night before was shocking. People talked about it in terms of cancelling Christmas on the evening of Christmas Eve.
I don't see it as any kind of competition about which faith/non faith community is suffering the most. It's been a tough six months already, with no sign of any return to anything like 'normal' life for any of us.
I also feel concerned that we live in an increasingly divided society. Polarised views seem to have become the norm. There have been some who blame the spike on gatherings that went ahead at Eid, at Diwali, or at large Muslim weddings or funerals, which have taken place locally. Alongside that, we have evidence of people failing to quarantine on return from areas with high covid incidence, instead going on pub crawls or holding large house parties.
We need to pull together during these dark days. Sorry to sound dramatic!

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 21:48:03

Actually, our Muslim friends seem to enjoy Christmas too, as a time of family get-together, good food and presents and a time to remember old friends.
How many people, Christian or non-Christian, celebrate it as a religious festival?

Ramadan and Diwali have more religious significance than Christmas for many.
Easter is the most important festival in the Christian festival.

JenniferEccles Mon 14-Sep-20 22:31:48

Isn’t it jumping the gun a bit to assume in barely mid September that the current restrictions will still be in place at Christmas?

If things improve the 6 people rule could be lifted.

NotTooOld Mon 14-Sep-20 22:38:13

Well said, GrannyNannyWanny. (Can we call you GNW?) Also agree with Alegrias.

ElaineI Mon 14-Sep-20 23:08:04

I remember there was a big outcry about Ramadan and Eid, probably will be about Diwali as well but please remember this is the UK (at the moment!) and Easter and Christmas are our big Christian events however remember the families of 41,637 people probably more who will not have their family member present for any celebration. Halloween, Diwali, Christmas are givens. They will happen regardless but differently this year.
Last Christmas was a disaster for us anyway as several family members including children had norovirus then DGD probably had coronavirus for a few weeks starting February before the pandemic began as she had all the symptoms and was very poorly with a high temp which lasted for 3 weeks, cough which lasted longer, aches and pains and tiredness which again lasted longer than 3 weeks. Began just after her 3rd birthday and yes she had had the norovirus at Christmas poor mite. Happily all better now.

Grannynannywanny Mon 14-Sep-20 23:09:53

Thank you NotTooOld and yes please feel free to call me GNW. I’m embarrassed by my ridiculously long name on here. I made several attempts during registration before I could come up with an unused name and ended up with this one!

vegansrock Tue 15-Sep-20 05:45:09

You can go grouse shooting at Christmas and meet as many people as you like.

Esspee Tue 15-Sep-20 08:53:01

JenniferEccles I admire your optimism but I am afraid this pandemic is going to get much worse before it gets better.

Esspee Tue 15-Sep-20 08:55:45

For the majority of people in the U.K. Christmas has reverted to being a mid winter festival. Christianity is in steep decline.

sarahcyn Tue 15-Sep-20 09:43:01

M0nica fyi the Government made absolutely no apology for shutting churches just before Easter which is a more important Christian feast.

Jeannie59 Tue 15-Sep-20 09:44:18

And how about sparing a thought for those of us, who's families live as far away as the U.S and Australia, like both my daughter's and their families, we don't know when it will be safe for us to see them again. At least some of them have their families in this country

Mooney59 Tue 15-Sep-20 09:44:25

Because the uk is a Christian place so we celebrate Christmas not any of the other religions festivals but I guess you were fishing for that answer to pull your rascist card?

CaroleAnne Tue 15-Sep-20 09:46:53

MONICA.
What a very sensitive sensible post.
We must do what we have to do to keep this
horrible virus under control and make sure that we re all safe.
This year we are all making sacrifices and hope that next year will be different.
My best wishes Carole.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 15-Sep-20 09:52:58

Id happily see the end of Halloween forever! Creepy and commercial, never celebrated when I was a child.

As for Christmas, looks like I'll be spending it alone as to join either daughter and family as usual will put them over the six. Boxing Day is my birthday and I've always had everyone at my house for another feast and fun, but perhaps not this year.
Just have to get some delicious snacks in for me and make the best of it.

Theoddbird Tue 15-Sep-20 09:54:06

I haven't heard all this outrage the original poster is going on about. I have seen people very accepting of the situation. Most understand why...

jaylucy Tue 15-Sep-20 09:55:50

I have only seen one member of my family, apart from my son that lives with me since December.
My sister brought me some eggs and flour at the beginning of lockdown, we stood on my doorstep, socially distanced and chatted. Since then I have been in contact with her only on Facebook.
We normally have a family barbecue on what would have been my mums birthday in August and then a family Christmas meal at the beginning of December, plus another barbecue on what would have been my dad's birthday at the end of December (yes really, in hail, sleet, snow, rain etc!)
There are anything up to 17 of us so if the restrictions continue (and really expect them to) , It will have been a year then since we have all seen each other.
We have tried to think of different ways we can get round it but as family members come from Cornwall, to Leeds, to Wales, I can't see that it is going to happen.

hicaz46 Tue 15-Sep-20 09:56:09

I won’t be sorry if Hallowe’en doesn’t happen. It is much to commercial and imported from USA. Certainly wouldn’t seem appropriate for youngsters to go from door to door collecting and handling sweets etc handled by others.
Christmas will happen and it will possibly be different, but Christmas will come again as it used to be. We must all be grateful for what we can do.

Froglady Tue 15-Sep-20 09:56:40

At least we are warned in advance about Christmas, the Eid celebrations had no warning at all.

readsalot Tue 15-Sep-20 09:59:11

I think we will do Christmas in two households this year to keep to the rule of six. DH will attend midnight mass in front of the computer! While it won't be the same as previous years, Skype and facetime will help us see presents being unwrapped, etc. Staying safe is so important and hopefully next year will back to normal.

polnan Tue 15-Sep-20 10:00:03

grouse shooting.. pubs.... etc... that is the difficulty..

so. to keep to the thread...
of course, there is the assumption that none of us "felt" for other communities... or are we just taking everything from the media?

as for Christmas and me... least said I think

Kartush Tue 15-Sep-20 10:00:29

We had restrictions here over easter this year when we usually have a big family gathering, so my husband made the usual big roast dinner with all the trimmings, we bought take away containers and everyone did a drive by and got their easter lunch. Worked a treat. If there are any restrictions by christmas here thats what will be happening again.

Ann29 Tue 15-Sep-20 10:02:16

M0nica yes I agree with you but I think sadly its because more money is spent at Christmas. Shops have got Christmas goods out early.

aonk Tue 15-Sep-20 10:03:38

I too am sad at the thought that I may not be able to be at a family gathering at Christmas. It does help to remember the families who will have their first Christmas without those who have died this year. The things I will miss are the crowded children’s church services on Christmas Eve and the various get togethers with neighbours and friends as well of course as the time spent with the family. Another thing I will miss is going to our local war memorial on Remembrance Sunday. I doubt that will be possible this year.

Gma29 Tue 15-Sep-20 10:04:20

I live on my own, so yes, I am really bothered!