Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you say to your younger self?

(107 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sun 20-Sep-20 20:33:34

I was given an old photo of myself aged about 8 by my Mum. Looking back at myself I looked a little shy and a little cheeky. 50 years later I would say to that little girl, dont listen to the bullies who make fun of your nose, they are just jealous of your slim figure. Dont worry about yearning for a pony, you will have your own pony from a foal for 32 years. Dont be sad wondering if you will ever have a boyfriend. You will meet your husband at college and be married for over 40 years with 2 children to be proud of and a lovely grand daughter. Dont worry about your career, your secretarial background will lead to a property law position which will serve you and your family well. Dont be sad, there are great times ahead!

Blossoming Mon 21-Sep-20 10:38:44

Keep away from toxic people, they are not really your friends.

red1 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:39:34

wait at least 2 years before you marry someone.
if your parents were abusive in your childhood,dont wait till they stop being abusive when you are an adult.
education never ends
we all mess up ,forgive yourself
don't tolerate fools
surround yourself with loving people.
dont take yourself too seriously.
have fun wherever/whenever you can.
consider how far back your family goes.

NannyMags Mon 21-Sep-20 10:44:08

I would say, get your weight under control when you felt it was too high, don't listen to people who said” I love you what ever size you are”

eazybee Mon 21-Sep-20 10:46:35

"Oh, my God!
(Your ) mother was right about everything!!"

I have the postcard.

Maggiemaybe Mon 21-Sep-20 10:50:14

I would possibly warn myself not to make too many plans for 2020.

Quilty Mon 21-Sep-20 10:50:55

Enjoy school and enjoy learning everything you can. It was said to me and I did not believe it. What I would give to spend all day reading books and not having adult responsibilities.

Dowsabella Mon 21-Sep-20 10:53:38

I would say what my dad always said to me when I was about to try something new: "Have a go, Joe". Even now, in my 70s I can hear his voice encouraging me when I want to try something new.

I would also add: "You have the freedom to fail, so when/if that happens, pick yourself up and carry on with life." I can still hear the critical voices of other family members telling me that my best isn't good enough! But I have learned - eventually - to disregard them and listen to my dad!

But I wouldn't have understood what I was saying to me, and filed it under "grown-ups' talk".

Sadly, I didn't hear properly what my dad was saying until around the time I left home for university, but I always heard clearly what the critical ones were saying!

We tried to bring our children up to listen to encouragement, and we can see how they are encouraging their children in turn. Hopefully, the destructive cycle is broken.

Moggycuddler Mon 21-Sep-20 10:54:34

I would say "Have more confidence in yourself because you are awesome. Don't be afraid of other people's words so much." I am a confident older woman now and life has made me strong. But when I was very young, I was shy, anxious, and easily bullied and would often not speak up for myself. I wish I could somehow go back and change that, because my life would have been better.

Oopsminty Mon 21-Sep-20 10:54:59

Maggiemaybe

I would possibly warn myself not to make too many plans for 2020.

Ha!

Juliet27 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:57:09

I would say 'don't worry quite so much about what others think'

jane1956 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:57:17

keep paying the private pension, and trust me it will all be ok (2020 not counting!)

Anniebach Mon 21-Sep-20 11:00:02

My younger self wouldn’t listen to me

SilentGames Mon 21-Sep-20 11:01:54

When I see photos of me as a child I am happy to say I was free from social media and it’s impact on lives. Free from instagram which focuses on image. I am not sure life was better or worse as the human traits never change. Some being snobbery and being sanctimonious. Social media is an excellent platform for this. I would say to my young self you cannot change people but you can change how it makes you feel.

razzmatazz Mon 21-Sep-20 11:04:18

Have a go ! My biggest regret is not pursuing an acting career after training because of lack of confidence and non belief in myself . If you have a go and fail then at least you will know.

inishowen Mon 21-Sep-20 11:14:44

Have a few years of carefree fun before getting married. Train for a decent career. Don't let men get away with pinching,and groping, in the workplace. We laughed it off, while cringing inside. Enjoy every moment of being a young mum. That time is precious and goes so fast.

Apricity Mon 21-Sep-20 11:18:23

Isn't interesting how many of us would say pretty much the same thing. Follow you own path, find out who you are, and don't marry the first 'love of your life' no matter how nice, suitable, lovely he or she may appear to be. At least wait a bit till you've got some understanding of the answers to the first questions. But it seems each generation has to discover their own questions and find their own answers. Our job is to just listen and love them if we are lucky enough to have them in our lives.

beverly10 Mon 21-Sep-20 11:28:55

I was bullied in my early school and adult life and did not stand up for myself. I believe everything comes to he/ she who waits be it good or bad .I know for a certainty my life has been far more successful and happier than those who in the past made my life such a misery.

Kartush Mon 21-Sep-20 11:35:31

Dont get fat!

paddyanne Mon 21-Sep-20 11:41:14

The only things I would change are things I couldn't .like multiple miscarriages and lost babies.Apart from that I'm happy with how my life has been ...the ups and the downs .I wouldn't try to change how it ws or how it worked out

BlueSky Mon 21-Sep-20 11:42:38

Yes a lot of us are saying the same things: don't get married so young, study, train, get a good career for yourself, travel, enjoy being a mum, don't let men, or anybody else, put you down!

SillyNanny321 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:03:26

I would tell myself to say yes to the one I really wanted & not worry about what so called friends said.

Toadinthehole Mon 21-Sep-20 12:32:49

I would say, you’ll meet a lovely man when you’re 16, but don’t waste time trying to sort out things with his family, they’ll never change. Cut off a lot sooner. Treasure the people who do love you.

Lulubelle500 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:36:35

I'd say: Don't jump into anything unless you know how it's going to end. Don't ever lose touch with your old friends, especially women friends. Keep hold of your own money (what there is of it!) when you marry. Don't necessarily believe what your Dad said that people are good unless proved otherwise. Don't be afraid to say, a)I'm sorry and b)You hurt me. Don't assume that you have to be married because you're a woman. Don't get a tattoo. Tell your children every time you see them how much you love them. And on, and on.......

Kate1949 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:47:54

Don't let your horrible childhood hold you back.

Patsy429 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:51:21

Take every opportunity given to you especially in the career stakes.