Gransnet forums

Chat

Who would you most liked to have seen but never did?

(148 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 22-Sep-20 14:24:59

The singer I would most liked to have seen is Leonard Cohen. I wasn't really into his music until the recording of his 2008 concert in London was shown on BBC 2. It was late at night and I'd fallen asleep in front of the tv. I was woken by the most amazing sounds coming from the screen. I became a fan and have a dvd of that concert.

A few years ago he was live in Paris but the ticket prices started at 180 euros and I just couldn't afford 2 tickets plus hotel bills at that time.

I'd also like to see Tom Waits but he tours so rarely and tickets sell out immediately.

Lastly the Travelling Wilburys.

There's something about older musicians - they are so laid back and often produce great music.

BlueBelle Tue 22-Sep-20 17:33:10

Elvis for sure 100%

RubyGran Tue 22-Sep-20 17:34:12

LauraNorder

RubyGran another Liverpool girl here. I did get to see the Beatles rehearse in the Cavern before they were famous, my Grandfather owned a warehouse in Matthew Street, I was only twelve but thought they were fab, or the gear as we used to say in Liverpool.
Agree Stephenmarra ask me tomorrow and I'll give a different answer, depends on mood and memories.

LauraNorder I wish I'd known you and your Grandfather in those days, it really would have been the gear if you could have got me in to see the lads too!

Buffybee Tue 22-Sep-20 17:40:00

I would have loved to have seen Elvis, when he was still young and fit blush
and Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston.
Although I’ve been lucky enough to see, the Beatles, the Kinks, the Four Tops, the Temptations, James Brown, Neil Diamond, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen and Diana Ross at Madison Square Gardens NY.

Oopsminty Tue 22-Sep-20 17:40:31

LauraNorder

RubyGran another Liverpool girl here. I did get to see the Beatles rehearse in the Cavern before they were famous, my Grandfather owned a warehouse in Matthew Street, I was only twelve but thought they were fab, or the gear as we used to say in Liverpool.
Agree Stephenmarra ask me tomorrow and I'll give a different answer, depends on mood and memories.

Oh the fun I've had in Mathew Street! Rubber Soul was one of my favourite places to go.

And Tifannys in India Buildings

An old neighbour of mine was a manager of a large department store in Liverpool. The Beatles played there at the Christmas Party they used to put on for the children of the staff

That was very early 60s, I assume before they were hugely famous!

Back to the OP, I'd have loved to have seen Leonard Cohen.

Grandma70s Tue 22-Sep-20 17:46:26

Maria Callas. I was in London when she was singing Tosca at the Royal Opera House, but the tickets were too expensive for my student budget. I could just afford the cheapest tickets for Fonteyn and Nureyev, so I did see them,

I was in Liverpool just before the Beatles became really famous. I knew about them, but wasn’t interested (still am not). I wish now that I had got them to sign something, or taken a photo - it would probably be worth money now!

TerriBull Tue 22-Sep-20 17:51:24

Annoyingly one of my sons met the late Leonard Cohen, school friend's father was one of the ensemble sound engineers that travelled with him when he was on tour, not only him but his son Adam Cohen. Leonard was incredibly gracious and spent time talking to the school kids. I loved Leonard in his heyday, particularly his beautiful song "Suzanne".

I was lucky enough to see quite a few of the really big groups and singers, Led Zeppelin, The Who, David Bowie, Elton John and many more, but I never saw The Beatles, I always really, really wanted to see them, but still at junior school when they were at the height of their fame so getting tickets was beyond my wherewithal and the concerts I did attend were all a few years in the future at that timesad

TerriBull Tue 22-Sep-20 18:04:20

Reading through the thread saw a mention of Roxy Music, they were fantastic on stage, first saw them at Crystal Palace when they were fairly unknown and they did "Virginia Plain" and it was a wow! all round. Then again at the Rainbow when they were more established, Brian Ferry had what looked like some quaisi military outfit on with jodhpur style trousers tucked into riding boots, he was a fantastic presence on stage, we all fancied him grin Why did Jerry Hall go off with Mick Jagger confused

JuliaM Tue 22-Sep-20 18:16:36

I would have loved to see Kenny Rogers live, had the misfortune to meet Tony Christy, of 'Avenues and Alley ways' fame, I was just a young girl of 14, looking for his autograph with a line of other fans, he grabed me, and left my face wet through with slobber, he stunk of cigars and booze, the horrible man him, certainly no way to treat an innocent Child!

tinaf1 Tue 22-Sep-20 18:19:46

Elvis
Dusty Springfield
Victoria Wood

Have seen Nina Simone LauraNorder years ago at Ronnie Scott’s she was great.

annep1 Tue 22-Sep-20 18:33:41

I would love to have seen Leonard Cohen at the Isle of White festival when he was young. I have it on dvd. It's available on youtube.
I saw him in 3 times..in Belfast Dublin and Sligo in 2010 and later. Best concerts I've been to. Also saw his son in Belfast. Cried sorely when he died.

I would love to have seen Simon and Garfunkel. I saw Art G in Dublin. But not the same as both.

Kate1949 Tue 22-Sep-20 18:33:41

We'll Grandma70s I had a lot of Beatles stuff which would now be classed as memorabilia. I had ticket stubs, over 1000 pictures, mags, every Beatles Monthly mag, specially recorded messages from the fan club. After one concert a 'roadie' gave us postcards with their autographs on (although they may not have been genuine).
One day when I decided I had outgrown them, I put the lot in bags and put it in the bin shock
Of course I never outgrew them and still love them. The only consolation is my cherished picture of me sitting behind them on stage and memories of George (my favourite) chatting to a group of us. But oh all that memorabilia!

annep1 Tue 22-Sep-20 18:35:17

Terribull lucky son!

Maggiemaybe Tue 22-Sep-20 18:36:12

Yes, Leonard Cohen for me too. DH has never been a fan and didn’t want to go when he was on in Manchester. Of course I could, and should, have gone by myself, and actually found out too late that friends of ours had gone and I could have gone with them. sad

grannyrebel7 Tue 22-Sep-20 18:59:34

Johnny Cash for me too!

annep1 Tue 22-Sep-20 19:17:15

I went to see the Seekers alone. The guy next to me was alone and we enjoyed it together. Going alone would never stop me.

Xander Tue 22-Sep-20 19:50:32

Beatles, Bee Gees for me

Maggiemaybe Tue 22-Sep-20 19:54:15

Going alone would never stop me.

Well, it wouldn't me, annep1, but I'd hoped to persuade DH to join me next time. Sadly there wasn't one.

B9exchange Tue 22-Sep-20 20:00:48

Elvis in his earlier years would have been incredible. I only found out years after his death that the reason he didn't come on tour is that his manager had a criminal record and would have been arrested if he set foot in Europe, so he wouldn't let Elvis come. (The Colonel didn't come over for Elvis's army stint) All those lies about Elvis being afraid of flying, I toured his planes when visiting Graceland!

Urmstongran Tue 22-Sep-20 20:27:10

We saw Queen with the late great showman, Freddie Mercury, at the Manchester City football stadium when it was at Maine Road. Status Quo were the support band.

I would have loved seeing Elton John at his peak. His voice in his heyday was something else. Try YouTube for ‘Someone Saved my Life Tonight’ from his early days. Gives me goosebumps.

kittylester Tue 22-Sep-20 20:29:05

LauraNorder Sunday Morning Coming Down made me realise I would have loved to see Kris Kristofferson who wrote it.

Urmstongran Tue 22-Sep-20 20:32:57

Actually just remembered, I saw Elton John in Manchester Talk of the North. Duet with Kiki Dee. ‘Don’t go Breaking my Heart’. Dave Lee Travis was the compère. Not a stellar performance. Maybe that’s why it slipped my mind!

kittylester Tue 22-Sep-20 20:39:27

We saw Elton John lots of time and he was not very consistent - in fact, once he just didn't turn up.

Urmstongran Tue 22-Sep-20 20:45:44

Drugs I suppose.

CherryCezzy Tue 22-Sep-20 20:48:00

Seeing Tom Waits would be incredible. I too would have liked to have seen Leonard Cohen.
There are two bands I would have loved to have seen, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, I'm still envious that my partner saw them!
I saw Gong supporting Steve Hillage last year Stephenmarra.
I'd love to see Neil Young.
Apart from that I've been fortunate.

BlueSky Tue 22-Sep-20 20:55:25

Wanted to see the Beatles, wanted to see the Rolling Stones. Wasn’t allowed in the’60s but did manage to see the Stones in 1999, merely 30 years later!