Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(63 Posts)
12Michael Wed 23-Sep-20 06:16:34

Good Morning Everyone ,
Its dark still here in Brackley , paths are wet so a weather change on the way.
Today, small shop locally I am in and out of the Supermarket, before 8 with 0730 opening.
Quite day in as I build up to the World Cycling Road Race and time trials over next 4 days , would have been a full week of racing this year in Switzerland , but governing body switched to Italy and imola as the Swiss did not want crowds as they are trying to control the epidemic .
Take Care ,
Mick

grandMattie Wed 23-Sep-20 06:30:53

Good morning from a dark, DAMP E Kent. Can’t quite believe it, but we had a 10 minute shower about 2 hours ago. The gentle sound woke me up. Can’t remember the last time we had any precipitation!
Mick, all this cycling sounds like fan heaven... Enjoy!
So,Boris suggests that we’re in this for yet another six months. I wonder what that’ll do to people’s morale and mental health.
I spent most of yesterday converting 11kg of tomatoes into sauce for the winter. My hands stank of onion and tomato, but I’ve now got 22 little boxes of sauce for the freezer.
DS1 is very preoccupied by the request to return. He is a great egalitarian, believer in World government etc. He can’t decide whether to listen to his boss or side with his colleagues who are very unhappy about leaving Europe where they feel safe. It is mostly the journey which troubles everyone. We gave him our opinion, but in the end it is his decision.
Ellan, I can’t believe you were brave enough to out the “troll”. Curiously, she always made me feel uneasy.
Marydoll, I trust you are feeling better and that your injections are helping, despite the horrible side effects.
I hope the sad, the sick and those in pain have a good day. Stay safe everyone.

Beechnut Wed 23-Sep-20 06:46:02

Good Morning everyone from a dark and wet Severnside.

When I come back later I hope to see you EllanVannin, you would be missed on the GM post.

I’ve something to finish off this morning and using the fact I have a parcel to open as my motivation then I will make a start on getting out my autumn decorations. I’ve seen a couple of things about putting pumpkins in the window for children to count instead of trick or treat. I have plenty of orange felt left over from making my daughter a pumpkin costume. She still likes dressing up as old as she is ?

Have the best day you can all. I think we need a bunch today as we start the six month plod ?

Beechnut Wed 23-Sep-20 06:48:25

Did you enjoy your trip to the Forest of Dean NannyJan? I like to go and have a drive through mid to late October to see the colours and I do another drive when the bluebells are out.

Ashcombe Wed 23-Sep-20 06:49:08

Good morning from our sleepy little corner of France!

I hope everyone is as well as possible and that grandMattie's son will find his employer sympathetic should he choose to remain where he feels safe.

It’s a cloudy, cooler start to the day. We are surrounded by farmland so the last few days (and nights!) have been filled with the sound of tractors with harrowing attachments as farmers prepare to sow Winter crops, once the soil is moistened by the anticipated rain.

Take care, everyone!

MellowYellow Wed 23-Sep-20 07:05:49

Morning everyone, I'm lying in bed listening to heavy rain pattering on my south Cornwall patio, lovely sound, so comforting. Well, I have a gorgeous haircut - not saying I'm gorgeous, oh no just the cut! - how do these geniuses do it with just a pair of scissors! Today I continue to sort my kitchen a bit for the dishwasher coming. Absolutely no other plans. Painful restless night so mostly a day of rest.

Oddly enough, the six month restriction hasn't fazed me, because at least I know where we are for Christmas and two of my little ones birthdays. I hate the chopping and changing we've had, and my family can plan now. But I know for many people it's a horrible long haul. The spring will bring much better things I'm sure. Well done EV, that needed doing. The best of days to you all where possible.

Sark Wed 23-Sep-20 07:06:08

Good Morning from Oxfordshire.
Just looks a bit grey outside.
Beechnut autumn colours are beautiful aren't they..my favourite time of year I think.
EllanVannin I can only reiterate what everyone said yesterday flowers
Not much going on in my world.
DD2 waiting for headache clinic appointment but thankfully hasn't had another really bad one.
Work now.
Hope everyone has as good a day as possible

MawB2 Wed 23-Sep-20 07:06:47

Good morning all from N Bucks ☔️☔️☔️☔️☔️
A grey morning but the calendar says it’s Autumn, so Autumn weather is to be expected.
Thank you to all those who sent kind messages about Hattie’s scans and tests. They showed no mass or tumour which was my greatest fear but we still have to decide where we go from here - “ monitor and wait and see” or referral to a “Supervet” type of establishment . Hope the vet can ring me today. In the meantime, Hattie looks very happy to be home as indeed I am to have her! But that poor tummy - woolly jumper needed I think (or helpful suggestion of a “ babygro”)
I know life is much harder for many of you and I wish you a peaceful and as pleasant a day as possible.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Sep-20 07:13:51

Good morning Mick and all

We also have had rain in the night here in S E Essex first time for weeks.

Strange dreams last night and a very disturbed nights sleep. GS5 has just woken so no doubt he will want his treat very soon (he has a cooked breakfast when he stays here before school)

Off to the gym this morning, then hopefully see GS7 as he is one today. His birthday party is cancelled, but he will have a big celebration when it’s allowed.

Thinking of our absent posters ???

Take care and keep safe folks ?‍♀️

Beauregard Wed 23-Sep-20 07:18:40

Good morning all from a currently dry Derbyshire. Rain expected late morning.

Yesterdays walk was a gentle two miles around our local country park. Much less than our usual five/six miles, but enough (for me) on this occasion. The walk took us past the site of the old American Adventure Theme Park, which is long gone. It brought back memories of taking my children there 30 years ago. How they loved it. Work is currently being done to prepare it for a new housing development. Shame really - I'd hoped it would become an extension to the main park, but not to be.

I discovered a recipe on Pinch of Nom for a chicken and spaghetti bake which was delicious and well as diet friendly. I will be making that again.

Not much on today. A bit of housework sad I feel must be done at some point.

Hope today brings good news from other posters and we hear from EV, and that everyone is feeling well and has a good day.

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Sep-20 07:18:47

Morning all, we had rain! Overnight it woke us both up and it’s a grey, damp start to the day. Tesco delivering sometime pm today, that’s about the only ‘event’ in this house. Husband unexpectedly not working, so I might not have to iron his pile of shirts, he’s shirt mad, far more interested in clothes shopping than me.
Have a calm day all, thoughts with those struggling.

NanKate Wed 23-Sep-20 07:23:09

Morning Mick and All.

Dull weather in South Bucks, however I did make the most of the beautiful weather we have had recently. Let’s hope it is just a few days of rain.

So pleased your Hattie is home Maw and nothing serious has been found.

DH returned yesterday afternoon after5 days helping DS with his garden so that DS could get on with his work. One evening DH, DS and both DHSs sat in the garden, the boys in their sleeping bags, watching the stars come out. They toasted marshmallows on a little fire and bounced (well just the boys) on the trampoline. Finally they told stories to each other’s delight. An evening to remember. ⭐️✨

brook2704 Wed 23-Sep-20 07:39:31

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s dry just now but we’ve got rain forecast for later.
Nothing much planned for today, I might pop into town as DD2 has asked me to pick a few things up - I think I’ve gradually become her personal shopper ?
Happy Birthday to your DGS GG13 hope he has a super day!
It sounds like a lovely evening for the boys nankate memories made to last forever!
Thinking of all our absent posters and those struggling with illness and worries, take care everyone whatever the day brings ?

Pittcity Wed 23-Sep-20 07:55:13

Good morning from rainy Colchester.
I think I sensed the change in the weather and slept badly last night.
The rain means our weekly meetup in the park will be off.

Marydoll Wed 23-Sep-20 07:56:42

Good morning all, it's an autumnal morning here in Glasgow.
When I awoke, there was a beautiful sky with red streaks across it.

I ventured out to the supermarket on my own yesterday, we only needed bread and milk, I told DH. ?
Of course, as always, I had a plan!
I suspected that after the First Minister's briefing, that might be my last outing for a while.☹️
I was correct in that assumption. After I got home, I received a text from the shielding people, (How did they know I was out?) advising me to be in as little contact as possible with people. No more trips out for me. It was good for the few weeks that I had a taste of freedom.

I decided not to visit our local Asda, but the one in the next town, because......,......it was right next door to TKMaxx, Poundland, Matalan and B&M! ? I told you I had a plan. My excuse to DH was that my car needed a run after the flat battery fiasco.

The Asda car park was being dug up and there were no disabled spaces, the hand sanitiser bottle at the front door was filthy, and it was so busy for 9am!
Not a good start. I could see lots of new season clothes, but too many people browsing, I couldn't wait to get out. ☹️

Poundland wasn't much better, but I wanted to pick up the usual stuff like, super glue, four packets Rollos and Bounties for a pound!?
I have never seen that retail park so busy and it was mainly elderly people. It was as if they were thinking along the same lines as me, trying to cram everything in, in anticipation of another lockdown.
I gave up in the end, as it was making me feel anxious. I have never been an anxious shopper, quite the opposite. My disappointment was compounded, when I noticed a new Home Bargains had opened, (I usually spend a fortune on cleaning materials and useless things in there , but common sense prevailed and I gave it a miss. ☹️

DH and I are off bramble picking this morning and the sun has just broken through the clouds. It's now a beautiful proper, Autumn morning!☀️??.

I am going for a haircut late afternoon. My lovely hairdresser has ensured I will be the only client in the shop, in order to keep me safe. She did offer to come to my home, but I wasn't really keen and now Covid restrictions means she can't.

I hope to see EV, posting this morning and that Hattie continues to make progress.
To all our missing posters and those coping with worries and I'll health, I'm thinking of you.?

Gingster Wed 23-Sep-20 07:57:24

Good morning from the Suffolk coast. The sky is a bit of a mish mash with grey clouds and the sun struggling to emerge. No rain for us as yet but it’s on it’s way.

Yesterday was bulb planting day. Always takes longer than we think. Emptying tubs and pots , renewing the soil and making sure the bulbs go deep enough. We have 100 allium bulbs still to plant. I expected them to be like onion bulbs but some are smaller than crocus bulbs. ?. Oh well it will be interesting to see what comes up.

Well done Ev . Some people need to be named and shamed !

Good news for you and Hattie Maw. Keep that tummy wrapped up. My little pooch had x rays last week on her legs, (intermittent limp) . Nothing showed up so hopefully it will imorove gradually. I was sure surgery would be needed, so I’m relieved. ?

Wishing you all a pleasant day. ?

Marydoll Wed 23-Sep-20 07:58:26

NanKate, what a lovely tale about your menfolk! ?

Gingster Wed 23-Sep-20 07:58:27

Forgot to send the Suffolk sky

Urmstongran Wed 23-Sep-20 08:05:24

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s a dull start, surprisingly.

Just read in the Telegraph that the triple lock on our pensions still apply and next April’s rise will be 2.5% as that’s the highest of the triple - inflation and wage growth are less - around 1%. I’ve just got my state pension and it’ll be going up by £17 a month. We are a fortunate bunch of people with regular monies dropping into our banks every four weeks, shielded from the uncertainty that some folks suffer during these difficult times.

On that positive note I shall just wish you all a happy Wednesday. Hope it’s good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Ps hope you can find a fleecy tummy warmer for Hattie Maw - glad her scans are negative - such a relief for you.

Pantglas2 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:06:41

What’s this wetness, folks? ☔️It woke me in the night but I managed to drop off again - I haven’t seen rain for three months so it can trot off now for another three, thank you kindly?

Those toasted marshmallows sound delicious Nankate- haven’t had them in years!

A pedicure for me this morning- all this wandering around in bare feet is playing havoc with the little piggies and the need a last coat of paint as I have them undressed for the winter!

Hope EllanVannin reports for duty this morning- it’s not nice when these things happen as the rest of us get a bit nervous on whether we’ll be next!

Kind thoughts to absent friends x

kittylester Wed 23-Sep-20 08:08:43

Good morning from a rainy North Leicestershire.

Our cleaner will be here later and I have no zoom sessions so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Sending love to all our missing friends and a big gold star to EV although I missed all the 'fun'. I hope she posts today.

NfkDumpling Wed 23-Sep-20 08:09:10

Morning All

Overcast here in the north of Norfolk and the slabs on the patio show that we've had a little muzzle to damp the dust.

We had a lovely walk on the beach yesterday. Luckily it was a very big beach as there were hoards of people making the most of the last of the heat.

Glad to hear Hattie is tumour free Maw. A great relief for you.

NannyJan53 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:11:00

Good morning from a rainy Black Country. What a contrast to the last few days. The garden needs it though.

Will make a Lasagne for the freezer this morning, but will probably give it to DD and family as they love it.

We are going out for a meal tonight, as one of our favourite pubs in DD's village are still doing the Eat out to Help Out all through September. I was meeting up with a friend, but she had to cancel, so Partner is roped in smile

The Forest of Dean was lovely Beechnut, first time I have been there. We walked through the Sculpture trail. It must be fantastic in the Autumn. Will make a note to visit when the Bluebells are out in the Spring, I am sure it is glorious then!

Good news for Hattie Maw pleased it is nothing too serious and hope she slowly improves.

It sounds like your boys had a magical evening NanKate a great memory to treasure.

Wishing you all a good day, with special thoughts of gilly and all our other missing posters

Georgesgran Wed 23-Sep-20 08:12:49

Good morning from Durham where it’s rained through the night and still wet and gloomy.

They say things come in 3s?
Frustrating day yesterday with DH’s treatment still not able to go ahead - another try scheduled for next Tuesday. Still awaiting CTscan results from 2 weeks ago to decide if the treatment’s actually working.
DD2’s husband set their kitchen on fire last night. Everyone safe, but some damage. Brill neighbours had a proper extinguisher.
Our lovely neighbour had to have her little dog euthanized at 5pm. He was only 7 and the Vet suspected he’d eaten something poisonous on his morning walk - very sad.

Nothing planned today other than watching dust accumulate!

Hope everyone has the best day today. X

Sar53 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:12:57

Good morning everyone from a cloudy Essex by the sea. We've obviously had some rain in the night but I didn't hear it.
We had a lovely walk yesterday along the pier, visited the RNLI shop, had a drink and then came back on the little train. It was sunny and quite hot, a very pleasant few hours.
Nothing planned today, DH was meant to be going out but all his plans have changed. I'm sure we will think of something to do.
I too hope to see Ellen posting on her. She lives near my BIL and it's good to hear what is going on in his neck of the woods. No one should be pushed out of this lovely good morning thread.
Have a lovely Wednesday and stay safe everyone in these very uncertain times xx