Gransnet forums

Chat

A very nasty surprise - be ready if it happens to you

(104 Posts)
Applegran Wed 23-Sep-20 12:20:06

One evening I had a phone call. On my phone it said "Private caller" - not unusual, and I answered. It was a man's voice and he said some truly horrible and threatening things - it was such a surprise that I was both shocked and confused. I rang off. He rang again several times and I answered, foolishly thinking it might be family calling. In these calls he said among other things that he could see me in my kitchen. No he couldn't - I was in the hall, but if it had been a lucky guess on his part, it would have made it even more scary for me. Finally I didn't pick up the phone and the calls stopped. I have reported this to the police and my phone provider is on the case to try to trace the caller. This has never happened to me before - or since, and I guess it is very rare and the caller picks random numbers to ring, so I think it very unlikely that many - or any - Gransnetters reading this will have this happen to them. But it could happen to someone and I wanted to warn you in advance - the caller doesn't know who you are, or where you are and can cause you no harm. Later on line I got this advice - if you get a threatening phone call, put the phone down and walk away for several minutes and then ring off. The caller won't want that to happen again and is far less likely to call you again. I hope this never happens to you - and it probably won't! But in the unlikely event that you do get a call like this, I hope this helps.

Daddima Sat 26-Sep-20 11:40:01

Pepine

I worked with a terribly proper spinster some years ago. She had a phone call where the caller suggestively asked her if she knew what he was holding in his hand to which she replied ‘if it’s just the one hand I’m not interested’ and out the phone down. He didn’t call back. I only wish I could think of a put down as fast!

Outstanding!

Shropshirelass Mon 28-Sep-20 09:27:13

When my parents were in their very late 80's they had a phone call from a man with a foreign accent telling them that they were calling round to repossess the car, amongst other things. Fortunately my parents were very sharp minded and called the police straightaway. The police were there within half an hour. It did un-nerve my parents but there were no more phone calls.

welbeck Tue 29-Sep-20 00:55:45

the BT Call Guardian has stopped all this.
can truly recommend.