Gransnet forums

Chat

Kanneh-Masons (cellist family)

(38 Posts)
Riversidegirl Fri 25-Sep-20 11:44:10

Is anyone reading the book "House of Music"? I think the family are lovely, and they live not far from me. But I'm concerned that all the things that happened to Kadie (the Mum) might be giving an exaggerated impression. I've no reason to believe they are not true, but......

Esspee Mon 28-Sep-20 07:43:15

Wonderfully talented family and a joy to listen. Somehow Sheku manages to make his instrument speak.

Riverwalk Mon 28-Sep-20 08:06:54

I am getting desperate to go to a live orchestral concert again - I wonder when this will happen

Lucky you probably already know but Wigmore Hall are holding live daily concerts with the lunchtimes ones broadcast on Radio 3.

You can also watch it live-streamed, free, on the WH website. At least you can see actual musicians in the flesh playing live, although you're not there in person.

Luckygirl Mon 28-Sep-20 09:47:35

Riverwalk - thank you for that info!

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 09:55:40

Sheku won YMOTY not just because of his technical skill but because of his ability to interpret and communicate the music.

That's my point - someone could practise and practise until they are technically perfect but he, and as far as we know, his siblings, are gifted.

Luckygirl Mon 28-Sep-20 12:17:05

They certainly are!

biba70 Mon 28-Sep-20 12:22:04

Did you watch the amazing documentary last night with Lenny Henry, on black musicians and composers in British history. Very eye opening and moving- and made me think those comments by the mother were NOT exagerated.

varian Mon 28-Sep-20 12:36:57

The Kanneh Mason house in lockdown

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000kycj/imagine-2020-this-house-is-full-of-music

Luckygirl Mon 28-Sep-20 13:10:29

The black composers documentary was splendid. I was already very much aware of Florence Price from my investigations into women composers. I had a feeling that classical music was a revelation to Lenny H from his reactions! - it was lovely to see him enthusing about it.

Ch Chi is about to become a ClassicFM presenter.

M0nica Tue 29-Sep-20 16:19:59

Callisteon technical skill is not enough it is merely the scaffolding that supports the glory that is interpretation. And I do not think that anybody could practice for hours and become technically skilled. I think, even acquiring the technical skill, let alone the determination to put in the (many) hours practicing is limited to those sufficiently gifted.

Luckygirl Tue 29-Sep-20 17:03:53

It is very hard to define and quantify that spark that makes a competent player a true musician. But not hard to spot when it happens!

Riversidegirl Thu 01-Oct-20 21:11:37

The family went to a very ordinary primary school in Nottingham (although it has always been good on helping children understand music) and then on to a very good secondary school. The older ones went to London to the Royal Academy on the 5am train every Saturday. It does not cost that much if you leave at 5am! Some did have private lessons I believe. As far as I know they all seem to have great fun, and are "ordinary" except for their music and the ability to work at it. My original post was raising my concerns that Mum's life seemed over-dramatised and might put people off reading the whole book, which would be sad.

Riversidegirl Thu 01-Oct-20 21:14:13

midgey

I think racism is alive and kicking in this country still!

Not in all of this country.