Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(63 Posts)
12Michael Sun 27-Sep-20 06:20:15

Good Morning Everyone,
Its fark but looking dry out there this morning in Brackley .
Yesterday , my planned schedule was disrupted as the cafe where I go to in Bicester now being table service , there was no available tables despite being as regular.
Anyway , did shop in Bicester and returned home via Buckingham and the cafe there was as normal , before a browse and a chat with a dealer at the flea market , before getting bus home.
Today , breakfast , watch TV , cycling starts at 8 on the red button with something like 8 hours coverage of thee Men's elite Road race , unlike last year with this event at Harrogate it was wet all day .
One thing from yesterdays experience , there seems thanks to government rule changes an urge to panic buy , likewise Bicester retail Village was busy people buying things when there is no rush to.
Take Care,
Mick

Taichinan Sun 27-Sep-20 08:03:00

Good morning all from the Angus coast. It's a lovely winter's day and the gales if yesterday have dropped back thank goodness. Happy Birthday Kate and hello to Fanny. Nothing planned for today. I woke up thinking it was Monday and lay for a few minutes reminding myself what I had to do before I realised it's Sunday. So today is a bonus and I shall use it for writing some long-overdue emails. I know what you mean about driving Maw - I find longer drives quite tiring now too. It must be all that concentration! Bellasnana I love your posts from sunny Malta - I had such a lovely few years there in the early 70s. In fact DD was born there at Mtarfa. Have a good day everyone, whatever you're doing, and stay safe - and warm! ???

Pantglas2 Sun 27-Sep-20 08:08:51

Here I am, late again - and I used to be such an early birdie!

Happy birthday to Nankate ? have a lovely day. A warm welcome back to Bellasnana and lucky you - 4hrs FaceTime with one grandchild - couldn’t get that with all seven o mine!

NannyTopsy don’t forget to wave ? to me when you’re in Conwy ? - I’ve ordered good weather for you. ...... we’ll see how well in I am!

A quiet day for us and hope everyone has a peaceful one x

Stilllearning Sun 27-Sep-20 08:14:00

Morning from a cold but bright S Lanarkshire. Happy Birthday NanKate and welcome FannyCornforth. A quick good morning today because my two youngest grandchildren have been staying with DD4 overnight and I am just going to join them for an early walk before she takes them home. I miss my regular looking after them so much, this is a lovely treat. Hope everyone has as good a Sunday as possible, all the planned lunches sound wonderful!

Nortsat Sun 27-Sep-20 08:15:48

Good morning Mick and the GM team, from a grey east London.

We had our ‘film night’ last night and watched The Next Three Days, with Russell Crowe. It was a good, old fashioned type prison drama. We watched it with a takeaway and a bottle of wine. (That’s what passes for excitement in our household nowadays.)

Happy Birthday Nankate, all good wishes for the coming year. ?
Your Birthday is the same day as my lovely sister, who sadly died in 2003. I always think of her on her birthday rather than the date she died, which wasn’t long afterwards. We will raise a glass in her honour tonight.
I sent my nephew a couple of bottles of nice wine, so that he can toast his mum (he lives 350 miles away, so we can’t visit him). When the parcel arrived, he didn’t spot the gift message at first and he couldn’t work out where the random red wine had come from!

Welcome Fanny, welcome back Dragonfly.
Thinking of Bluesapphire and gilly and sending ? to those who are facing challenges today. Have a pleasant and peaceful day all. ?

MellowYellow Sun 27-Sep-20 08:22:37

Morning everyone, from a cold but bright south Cornwall. Reading a book on Jerusalem, my favourite place, bought on a bookstall yesterday, but it's a graphic (as in drawings) memoir of a year there. Lovely find.

Unexpected meet-up with two grandchildren and one son at Wetherspoons last evening, and roast gammon this evening at same son's flat, yum. My boys are good cooks, like their dad (my ex). I can't cook!

Welcome Fanny, happy birthday Nankate, and Jaxjacky I envy you the asparagus bed!

The sweetest of days to you all, wherever possible.

Elizabeth1 Sun 27-Sep-20 08:24:36

Good morning everyone from a cold but sunny day today here on the east coast of Fife very near to the North Sea Happy birthday Kate me and my DH will be going to Dundee later on to meet up with family in a carpark where we’ll have a hamburger for lunch I’m so looking forward to seeing my grandchildren hope there’s a park nearby where we can be released to run around errr that won’t be me I’m not yet at the stage of running around neither is my DH we’ll have the joy of seeing our grandchildren munching into their hamburgers. Have a lovely day all and enjoy the moment be safe keep healthy

Susan56 Sun 27-Sep-20 08:25:35

Good morning from Shropshire where the sun is shining but there’s a cool breeze.

Today is Henry’s first birthday party.Its his birthday tomorrow but celebrating today.After the months of illness he has had I am feeling quite emotional today.Fingers crossed he is doing well at the moment??Guests will come at intervals due to Covid rules.Luckily they have a decent sized garden so room for social distancing.DGD is excited as they are having a bouncy castle and just her,Henry and our other DGS to share it!

Welcome to the thread Fanny??

Happy birthday NanKate??????enjoy your day.

Thinking of gilly and all our missing posters?

Have a good day all.

Marydoll Sun 27-Sep-20 08:29:25

Good morning all, it's a beautiful morning here in Glasgow, but -2°C. DH had to scrape the windscreen, before going for the papers. I love Autumn mornings like this! As long as I dont have to scrape the windscreen. ?

Happy birthday to my dear friend Kate and a warm welcome to Fanny Cornforth. It's a tradition to say where we are posting from and what the weather is like. We are basically very nosy. Urmston, you forgot to ask Fanny, how much her house is worth, as you usually do!?

I was so glad to see Bellasnanna and Dragonfly posting yesterday.

I've had a particularly bad night painwise, I don't know if it's caused by the change in weather, so I plan to have a gentle day, pottering about in the front garden, in the hope of gossiping with my neighbours. ? The tubs need the dead annuals tidied away.
I nearly missed online vigil Mass last night, as I was talking to my neighbour. DH was not amused, as he couldn't find me. I was round the back of my neighbours's house, having a socially distanced nosy through the windows of her conservatory, admiring her latest bargains! ? I always go home, thinking my home is boring,☹️

Yesterday, I tried to order Autumn planting onions etc, but was shocked to find they were almost sold out online. Lockdown seems to have encouraged more people to take an interest in his garden.

We are expecting a visit from DS2 with DH's newly eye wateringly expensive upgraded PC. He took it away yesterday to improve the spec, as he can't come into the house. He took weeks to rebuild mine last year, but due to the pandemic, he has been working from home and was on call yesterday, so he has time. DH will only need to deal with his withdrawal symptoms for a day. ?

Of my three children, he is the cleverest, but constantly needed encouragement at school by us and his teachers, who saw his potential, until he discovered IT. He is highly qualified and we all had to be security screened, before he took up one of his posts. I was afraid all the hidden skeletons in my cupboard would be discovered. I'm so happy he has found his niche and happiness with his fiancèe.
My work is done!!!

Wishing everyone a pleasant day, but becoming more worried about our Gilly, as time goes on.
I'm going back to read the posts properly.
Take care everyone.

Elizabeth1 Sun 27-Sep-20 08:30:02

That was very kind of you Nortsat sending your nephew a couple of bottles of wine in memory of his mum flowers what a loving aunt you must be your sister would be so proud of you. Have a good day

Gingster Sun 27-Sep-20 08:31:05

Good morning all from another wet and windy day in the Suffolk coast. This is the third day of rain . Little pooch did get out for 2 walks along the beach yesterday and we didn’t get too wet.

I did a bit of crocheting yesterday but don’t know what to do with the squares. I’ve made so many blankets. Any ideas?
Maybe a jigsaw today or finish my book, which isn’t great ?.

We might visit friends who are staying along the coast with their family. Poor things have had dreadful weather since they’ve been here. Baby and toddler included! ?. They might like to have a couple of visitors for an hour. ☕️.

It’s a worrying situation re universities and the virus but unfortunately was inevitable! What did they expect! My Dg has just gone to Southampton . No lockdown yet but I feel so sorry for her. It’s been a horrid year for her age group. A level, fiasco, postponement of driving test, cancellation of first holiday with friends and now a very limited university experience. This bloomin virus has affected everyone in so many ways.

Oh dear I do seem gloomy!

Happy birthday Nankate ???

Think I’ll have breakfast in the summerhouse( with a heater on. )Looking out on the rolling waves, with Classic FM on. That should sort me out. ?

Gammon for dinner and apple pie for pud.

Have a peaceful sabbath day ?

Gelisajams Sun 27-Sep-20 08:34:52

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where we had a peach coloured sky earlier though I suspect it’s cold again out there.
Happy Birthday NanKate and welcome Fanny
Am feeling much better this morning as the flu jab pains have subsided and DS2 was more upbeat last night so I’ve had a decent nights sleep.
We will drive out to get a walk and a take away roast Then this afternoon we are visiting an open garden. Next time it’s open will be February for the snowdrops when hopefully the end to Covid will Be in sight!
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Pittcity Sun 27-Sep-20 08:40:50

Good morning from a grey, damp Colchester. The wind has dropped so it doesn't feel as cold as yesterday. The heating is on as life's too short to be cold.
Need to pop to Lidl for a Sunday roast but DH has just put a fry up on the table.

Happy Birthday NanKatethanks

Grandmabatty Sun 27-Sep-20 08:41:43

Happy birthday to Nankate and to Henry too. I hope you both have lovely days. It's freezing in Polmont. Cars are covered in frost and spider webs are glistening on all the railings. Like Marydoll I love this time of year. I'm going out for lunch today to a lovely local restaurant. My oldest friend and her partner are taking me for a late birthday celebration. It's the only way we can see each other as no household mingling is the rule. I'm looking forward to it. I made a massive pot of lentil and vegetable soup yesterday and roasted a chicken so I'll probably just have a bowl of soup at tea time. Have a good day all.

grannysyb Sun 27-Sep-20 08:49:58

Good morning all, grey and cool here. Happy birthday Nankate, enjoy your day. We are going to the allotment to move the strawberries, I planted them in the wrong place, the bed they are going into is in a much sunnier spot. Not much else planned. Have a good day everyone.

Anniebach Sun 27-Sep-20 08:55:15

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Sep-20 08:56:54

Good morning Mick and all

Eight hours of cycling Mick enjoy ?‍♂️

Happy Birthday NanKate ????

It’s Grey and windy here just up the road from Sar53 in S E Essex, after so many months of good weather it’s a shock to the system. It was a choice of lighting the fire or firing up the heating yesterday, we chose the heating option !!!

We had some good news yesterday, eldest AC who is in the army has been promoted to Major and will return home from Kenya next August. We are extremely proud of him. We should be going to Kenya for four weeks Oct/Nov to stay with them but due to Covid I am reluctant to fly, hopefully things will improve and we can go after Christmas.

Think we will go out for a late lunch (5 ish) as I forgot to buy a joint yesterday (didn’t leave the house, as weather was appalling)

Lovely to have you back Bella and Dragonfly , welcome Fanny Gilly and BlueSaphire you are very much missed.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

GrannySomerset Sun 27-Sep-20 09:00:48

Lovely golden morning in North Somerset where I have just waved goodbye to DS and fiancée after a lovely visit which has cheered us both. DS is urging me to find help with his father but I really don’t know what we need or how to access it under the present restricted circumstances. At least he doesn’t lecture me as his sister does though with the best of motives.

Church service (masks, no singing, no mingling) and possibly a start on the bulb planting but no other plans other than the Sunday paper. Could be a lot worse.

Sark Sun 27-Sep-20 09:01:00

Good Morning from a bright and breezy Oxfordshire.
Proper lie in this morning with the paper, tea and toast courtesy of DH bless him!

Having said that I love the sound of breakfast in the summer house Gingster We rarely get the chance but love sitting watching the sea.

Happy birthday NanKate and hi FannyCornforth

Had the GC Friday night/yesterday so a quiet day getting the house straight again and I have a pile of ironing to tackle.

Just a pasta bake and salad for lunch I expect.

Have a happy Sunday everyone

NannyJan53 Sun 27-Sep-20 09:03:12

Good Morning from a bright and sunny Black Country, albeit with a chill in the air.

Partner is planning on cleaning his car today, I am hoping he will do mine too smile

Will perhaps go for a canalside walk this afternoon.

Roast chicken for dinner tonight which is the first one for months. Then Monday I will make my chicken soup, a sure sign Autumn is here.

Welcome to the GM thread Fanny

Happy gardening Jaxjacky

Hoping to see gilly posting soon, we worry about you flowers

Have the happiest of birthdays NanKate. Your lunch out sounds lovely.

GrannyOwl5 Sun 27-Sep-20 09:04:33

Good morning everyone from a grey and windy North Kent. We arrived home from our Yorkshire holiday yesterday after a good journey. Although we had a wonderful time away it felt good to be safely back home.
A day of tidying and sorting out the garage awaits; one person in the family is not very good at putting things back where they’ve come from, so the shelves are a bit jumbled. I love getting things tidied away ready for the winter!
Hope everyone has a good day

Greyduster Sun 27-Sep-20 09:16:38

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a cool, grey South Yorkshire. It was so cold last night I wore bedsocks! We had a walk down the valley yesterday. Ploughing (or whatever passes for ploughing - they don’t go very deep these days) was in full swing. Trees are starting to turn. DD and her menfolk are coming over later for a curry lunch. There are always a lot of bits and pieces to go with curry; it’s more trouble than a roast.
Happy Birthday NanKate! Have a lovely day! All the best people are seventy four this year!???
Have a safe and happy Sunday, folks.

Scentia Sun 27-Sep-20 09:17:05

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire. Cooler this weekend, I believe Autumn has arrived. It is my favourite time of year, the colours and the fresh mornings are so invigorating.
I had my DGS on Friday night and I gave a problem, his cup has gone missing! He had it at tea time and it was in the lounge then come bed time, nowhere to be seen.
I have checked everywhere and I mean everywhere, I even had the wheel I bin upside down!!
Where the heck is it, where would a dog or an 17month old child find to hide a plastic cup that I couldn’t find it. I could get a new one, and will today but it is drive insane wondering where it has gone.
Anyway, a big smile to all my Good Morning friends, old and new and get yourselves out (even just to the door) and embrace this fresh air.

Kalu Sun 27-Sep-20 09:35:37

Good morning all from a sunny frosty Glasgow. Although it’s chilly outside it’s also very pretty as the sun shines on the frosty grass making it sparkle.

A warm welcome to our thread Fanny I am waiting with bated breath to find out how much your property is worth!?
Nosy Urmston has to know every detail.?
Many happy returns Kate but with my GD2’s calculations you are actually 60/14?. Enjoy your birthday lunch. Italian espresso is one of my favourites.
You must have been shattered after such a long drive in one day Maw. Enjoy your day busy doing nothing.
I seem to tidy the garden more than I tidy the house Beauregard ?
A bouncy castle is perfect for Henry’s party Susan those three will have a whale of a time.
So nice to see you here this morning Bellasnana. I can’t believe your darling GD is 9 now. I’m sure you enjoyed every minute listening to her chatter.

A faffing about day ahead for me and my to do list can have a day off too.

Hope everyone has a pleasant day and kind wishes to our missing at the moment friends.

EllanVannin Sun 27-Sep-20 10:00:44

Good Morning All x Happy Birthday NanKate x Enjoy wine flowers

A beautiful and calm sunny day. There's still a bit of heat left in that sun. Enjoyed my first cuppa as always, it's like mud grin then crumpets next.

As mentioned yesterday, hotpot today which will " do " in the oven for a good part of the day and apple crumble for afters.
Hope Henry's day goes well Susan and the weather is kind to you all x How lovely to hear of the celebration.
Birthdays galore for the next month I think. I have 3.

Hope to hear from D today to find out how their travels went yesterday. It's a long way for just a day's journey as they usually stay overnight at a Travel-lodge, but because of school she prefers to get back and sort uniforms out ready for Monday.

Lovely to see Bellasnana as she is a reminder of the lovely holidays in Malta x Also Dragonfly too. x.

The security check that Marydoll mentioned also reminded me when B gained his job working for the government in telecommunications and the check on members of the family which went back ten years---including my in-laws at the time. From then on we called him 007 and a half grin
He'd kitted out 12 army lorries in South Africa with telephones but couldn't say any more than that. Risky work too in Turkey.

Needless to say I'm not much further on with my blitzing of the cupboard. There's always one cupboard where everything gets thrown in hoping for the best that nothing comes tumbling down. Trouble is, one of the cats has a fascination for rooting around in there and trying to jump on the shelf so I have to call it a day----my excuse. I'll probably find Lord Lucan in there somewhere grin

Must get washed and dressed now and quell my starvation so take care everyone and stay safe ( she said sneezing her head off ) Enjoy this lovely Sunday, if you have sun of course.xx

Mapleleaf Sun 27-Sep-20 10:01:37

Good morning

It's a grey, breezy and chilly morning here in South Yorkshire but not as wild as yesterday.

Not a lot on the agenda for today other than general chores and a washing load to go on the line when it's finished in the machine.

Had a lovely afternoon tea yesterday in a grand but faded old hall. We had been given a voucher at Christmas, but due to Covid, it got postponed until yesterday. We had one last month, too, so it's been a special treat. ?

Welcome to this thread, Fanny. I've seen you post on other threads, but nice to see you here, too.

Many happy returns, NanKate. Enjoy your lunch out today. ???

Is Henry one already? My goodness, that time has soon passed Susan. I hope you all enjoy his special day.

Take care everyone, it's lovely to see Bellasnana and Dragonfly back and thinking of all our other regular posters who are not posting at the moment with kind thoughts. ?