Gransnet forums

Chat

Times change – faster than you think

(131 Posts)
absent Wed 07-Oct-20 07:56:08

I joined Gransnet almost as soon as it began. Like everything in life, it has changed. Lots of members that I tended to find interesting are no longer posting and, indeed, it is rare for me to post. A few posters whose comments and posts I valued have been barred. I wonder exactly how all that happened.

merlotgran Wed 07-Oct-20 21:54:07

No, it definitely wasn't you, lemon grin

lemongrove Wed 07-Oct-20 21:52:15

I can’t remember much past last month Marydoll

Merlot that’s awful! ( it wasn’t me I hope?)?

Come in and write whatever you like.

merlotgran Wed 07-Oct-20 21:41:10

I remember the opening of the Argy, Marydoll. I joined in with the fun and was encouraged to write a smutty limerick.

The wrath of a certain posted descended and I was accused of being coarse.

Not the fault of the Argy and all who sail in her and I did pop in a few times but it put me off to think that a bit of risqué humour is only allowed for some.

Marydoll Wed 07-Oct-20 21:38:34

Kate, someone started something similar recently, but it didn't go anywhere.
Let me put my thinking cap on.?
It may have been Chewy or Lemongrove, who started the original one, I can't remember. ☹️

NanKate Wed 07-Oct-20 21:31:11

I love the idea of the fairy tale thread Mary. Do you fancy starting it for us as you know the rules? I quite fancy being Cinderella as long as it doesn’t include housework ?

Marydoll Wed 07-Oct-20 21:20:53

Is that where it has gone, Lemon?
I don't know if I have the stamina nowadays! I've dumped the Admiral for someone new.?

lemongrove Wed 07-Oct-20 21:12:04

Pop over there now Marydoll.....there are new cocktails to try and I am wearing your old ginger wig at this very moment.?

Marydoll Wed 07-Oct-20 20:47:58

The original Argy was founded to counteract some of the nastiness going on at the time on GN.
It was a source of great amusement, but some posters just couldn't fathom out what it was all about! grin You could be anyone you wanted there, lose all your inhibitions and no-one judged.
Everyone was welcome, even Soop was led astray.

I'm becoming very nostalgic!

lemongrove Wed 07-Oct-20 20:41:50

Illte a warm welcome awaits you ( and anybody else) in The Argy Bargy Bar (found on the chat threads) we always need new blood ( if you’ll pardon the expression) and all you need to do is to say hello, order a drink and post any old nonsense you like.A poster (cannot remember who) a few years ago complained that the whole thread was a load of nonsense/tosh ....yes!?that’s the whole point of it.
And Soop’s Kitchen is just a place of gentle musings and for off loading any worries, so if any new posters are thinking of joining in, please do.?
Friday is Panto Nite in The Argy.....choose your character and costume now.

Marydoll Wed 07-Oct-20 20:30:47

I remember years ago, we had a fairy tale thread, where we all had to add a line each. It became absolutely ridiculous, but very topical. Someone always managed cleverly include famous names or what was in the news at the time.
I used to be sitting with tears running down my face at the some of the input. It was such a tonic at a low moment in my life.
I made a fair number of new friends on that thread. There was so much warmth and friendship.
Not much going at the moment on GN. sad

Callistemon Wed 07-Oct-20 20:13:16

Would have been bloody useful to have known that during labour!
I thought that swearing was part of the transition stage of labour. Especially if the cause of the pregnancy is in the room at the time!

DanniRae Wed 07-Oct-20 19:51:26

GN used to be more fun - I remember the Gransnet Olympics in 2016 it went on for pages and pages of daft but funny events that we were willing to sign up for. Anyone else remember it?
Now I'm hard put to find anything that amuses me - I seem to mainly get involved with the different games.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Oct-20 18:48:48

Thanks maggie so not too long before I joined

Maggiemaybe Wed 07-Oct-20 18:31:45

May 2011, BlueBelle.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Oct-20 18:31:35

Just don’t s search and found someone welcoming me in 2013 so 7 years so when did GN start ??

BlueBelle Wed 07-Oct-20 18:27:34

What year did GN start I can t remember when I started it seemed a long time ago though

suziewoozie Wed 07-Oct-20 17:58:30

Oopsminty

I do like a well placed profanity now and then

The age old line that swearing indicates lower intelligence really is a load of bunkum

www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists

I think pearl clutching about swearing is a sign of low intelligence ?

bikergran Wed 07-Oct-20 17:34:54

glammanana smile

BlueSky Wed 07-Oct-20 17:32:33

Not to worry Millie I’m sure most of us googled it! grin

Wheniwasyourage Wed 07-Oct-20 17:25:45

You're welcome. To quote Victoria Wood "I don't know much Latin, just enough to buy a newspaper". grin

Millie22 Wed 07-Oct-20 17:08:27

Thank you. I don't know very much Latin ? but I think I understand now.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 07-Oct-20 17:06:48

I think that at the beginning GN was, as some have said or implied, cosier, partly because there were fewer of us, so we felt that we were getting to know each other more quickly, and partly because we didn't have the causes for argument such as the Scottish referendum, the Brexit referendum and Brexit itself. Not to mention Trump and Covid-19...

It's good that we are still attracting a supply of new posters who bring their own personalities to the discussions, and it's a shame that some feel discouraged. Some of us who have been here for the duration just avoid the subjects (and posters) we find infuriating annoying.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 07-Oct-20 17:01:43

It stands for Quod Erat Demonstrandum, which is Latin for which was to be proved - it used to be used if you had to work out a question in geometry, and if you found a way of proving what you were asked to do, you would put QED at the end. Before my time, I hasten to add!

It's now often used to say "Well, that just proves what I was saying". Hope that makes sense!

Millie22 Wed 07-Oct-20 16:38:03

I'm struggling with the QED thing. What does that mean?

AGAA4 Wed 07-Oct-20 16:36:52

I am relatively new so can't comment on the changes on GN. I have learned new things on here.
Some posters are very intelligent people and have worthwhile things to say. I have seen some heated debates that have gone the wrong way but I tend to avoid those.
The posters in the Argy are great fun and I have had many a laugh on there so on the whole GN is a good place to be.