Gransnet forums

Chat

Times change – faster than you think

(130 Posts)
Gwyneth Wed 07-Oct-20 08:35:08

Bluebelle yes I agree. Admittedly I haven’t been on the site for very long. I try to avoid commenting on anything political although I do read them. I find some of the comments interesting but too often it develops into a bit of a ‘bun fight’ which detracts from the actual discussion. I now anticipate this will happen but it is sad when as you say ‘innocent topics are infiltrated ‘ especially those that are light hearted and meant to be a bit of fun.

GrannyLaine Wed 07-Oct-20 08:32:01

The phrase 'lunatics have taken over the asylum ' springs to mind angry

BlueBelle Wed 07-Oct-20 08:19:37

It’s got a much more ‘tricky’ feeling to it now I can’t think of the right word but it feels lately that some posters are wanting to cause a ‘pickle’ want to draw in the ‘fors‘ and ‘againsts’ to divide and rule to get a drama going for the sake of it about every subject
I used to avoid the political threads as much as I could, and sit on my hands because I didn’t really want to be part of the division but now it’s infiltrated into the innocent topics
Of course we are not going to agree about everything and that in a way was fun but that’s quite different this feels more like a take over bid with a big division starting to open like the Red Sea
I think HQ should be a lot less heavy handed with intelligent grown people who are trying to keep things on a reasonable even keel

tanith Wed 07-Oct-20 08:01:43

I agree with you absent things are very different now around here with many recognisable names gone it’s a shame.

absent Wed 07-Oct-20 07:56:08

I joined Gransnet almost as soon as it began. Like everything in life, it has changed. Lots of members that I tended to find interesting are no longer posting and, indeed, it is rare for me to post. A few posters whose comments and posts I valued have been barred. I wonder exactly how all that happened.