Gransnet forums

Chat

Times change – faster than you think

(131 Posts)
absent Wed 07-Oct-20 07:56:08

I joined Gransnet almost as soon as it began. Like everything in life, it has changed. Lots of members that I tended to find interesting are no longer posting and, indeed, it is rare for me to post. A few posters whose comments and posts I valued have been barred. I wonder exactly how all that happened.

lemongrove Thu 08-Oct-20 20:59:23

FannyC We only close when the last regular either leaves the premises or falls asleep under a table.? Cheers.

FannyC and Merlot great limericks you have hidden ( up to now) talents.??

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Oct-20 18:43:46

Lisagran

What a strange post, CherryCezzy. It’s only a chat forum for the over 50s.........

I know Lisa, and I thought that I over-thought things...

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Oct-20 18:41:56

What time does the Argy open? I think I'm up for it!

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Oct-20 18:40:42

Ah, thanks Maggie. Search doesn't work on my phone, but I'm on my laptop now, I'll have a look.
Every time I think of the 2012 Olympics I well up.
I've never been so proud to be British. It was a triumph of creativity. (Welling up. Sniffle)

Maggiemaybe Thu 08-Oct-20 18:34:37

Gransnet Olympics in the search box does it, FannyCornforth. I’ve just been wallowing in a bit of nostalgia myself. I’d better leave the panto till tomorrow - I’ve been so engrossed that DH is wondering if I’ve fallen out with him. smile

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Oct-20 18:29:55

Oh my word! The Olympics sound amazing!!
Can I search for them?
The level of wit on here is fabulous.
I came here for some female company, and got it in spades.
Women are bloody great, aren't we?

annsixty Thu 08-Oct-20 16:29:53

Actually so would I Lisagran
What a good job it is that all our events are virtual.

Lisagran Thu 08-Oct-20 16:27:22

What a strange post, CherryCezzy. It’s only a chat forum for the over 50s.........

Lisagran Thu 08-Oct-20 16:25:40

annsixty

Do you also remember the panto we did one Christmas .
A now missing poster and I did “Nobody loves a fairy when she’s forty” suitably attired in pink tutus, wings and wands.

Ooh, I’d like to see the video of that grin

annsixty Thu 08-Oct-20 15:55:04

Do you also remember the panto we did one Christmas .
A now missing poster and I did “Nobody loves a fairy when she’s forty” suitably attired in pink tutus, wings and wands.

Maggiemaybe Thu 08-Oct-20 15:36:01

Really, DanniRae and downtoearth, lowering the tone of the noble Olympics!! shock

Though there was definitely a pole dancing event, where I seem to remember a gran gamely competed against Melania Trump, wearing surgical stockings and a g-string emblazoned with the GN logo (the gran that is, not Melania).

Urmstongran Thu 08-Oct-20 14:41:27

‘Nothing stays the same’. Very true.

downtoearth Thu 08-Oct-20 14:19:37

I suggested horizontal jogging might be considered...

DanniRae Thu 08-Oct-20 14:01:35

The event I offered to take part in for the Gransnet Olympics was the "Whipping Off An Umcomfortable Bra Race".
One kindly male Gransnetter offered to help me train for it - I politely declined!! grin

downtoearth Thu 08-Oct-20 13:29:49

I joined donkeys years ago under the guise of Nellydeane,and was instrumental in creating Lils bar originally,great fun.

I left for a year or so due to work commitments, and rejoined about 6 years ago.

I read a lot of the threads,but only occasionally post smile

merlotgran Thu 08-Oct-20 11:39:37

It was not an original rhyme,
You can find them online all the time,
Someone said I was coarse
From atop a high horse,
Plagiarism was really my crime!

LauraNorder Thu 08-Oct-20 10:19:04

A limerick in the Argy by Merlot
Unsolicited criticism has brought her low
So because of some nut
We cannot write smut
What else can we do here from furlough

Lucca Thu 08-Oct-20 09:09:23

When I joined I remember there was one poster who clearly liked more than one tipple of an evening and would get VERY angry ! I found it mildly amusing. I Like the variety of characters on GN even though some infuriate me sometimes ! I do object to over zealous policing though and obvious windups.

PECS Thu 08-Oct-20 08:29:40

In debate it does not matter if you have 'friends' or not. If you hold a pricipled belief or opinion you stick to it unless someone presents evidence to make you reconsider. You don't change your view because it is the minority.
I cannot be upset by people I don't know. I can be annoyed by people's opinions and attitudes and offer my opinion on the same issue. I can be empathetic to situations and offer advice.
I have done both and people, who do not know me, tell me I am wrong, unkind, thoughtless etc. Never usually the OP though!

I have been to a few meet ups in the past and met some lovely women. We were able to share a happy couple of hours over coffee , cakes or wine..that does not make us clones in our opinions smile

Maggiemaybe Wed 07-Oct-20 22:40:36

Oh, the Gransnet Olympics, now you’re talking. grin I did very well there till someone contaminated the pool with toxic axle grease and the resulting webbed feet led to me being disqualified from the 10 metre doggy- paddle-with-armbands event.

There was talk of the GN team reforming for Tokyo. Curse you, Covid 19! angry

NanKate, I await the call for 2021.

CherryCezzy Wed 07-Oct-20 22:40:21

I agree Callistemon there shouldn't be a problem but obviously a lot of people are not happy with what is written and the twists and turns on GN threads.

Callistemon Wed 07-Oct-20 22:29:18

Perhaps there's not enough food to go around to keep people happy?

There is no limit on the number of threads that can be started and there are any number of topics with wide-ranging headings, so there should be no problem.

annsixty Wed 07-Oct-20 22:24:16

I still don’t remember when I joined but I am old enough to remember Lil’s bar followed by Pete’s sports bar , the forerunners of the Argy, we had some very good times.

merlotgran Wed 07-Oct-20 22:13:45

Blimey!

CherryCezzy Wed 07-Oct-20 22:08:04

Children do an awful lot of growing in nine and a half(ish) years. They come into the world completely innocent. By the time they nine years old some are still quite innocent but many are no longer very innocent at all. Why is that? Is it nature or nurture, a debate rages to this day. A similar debate has raged whether killers are born evil or whether they are they made.

One thing is certain. The human race, Homo Sapiens, as a species are mammals. Mammals are predators. Homo Sapiens are top of the food chain. The top predators.

We all know this. We are not innocent of it. We all know mammals can rip other mammals apart for food. Cannibalism still exists.

I can't say what Gransnet was like in 2011 or any other year except 2020. What I can say though is human nature hasn't changed. So why do long-standing members of this site think and feel the site and the tone in threads has changed? I'm not saying it has or hasn't but the membership will have grown from nothing. It has gotten bigger. Perhaps there's not enough food to go around to keep people happy? What do humans do when there appears not to be plenty to share and more to spare?

I have been a member of Gransnet just over eight months. As a measure of time this site has been running I am a child. I am not an innocent. I do not pretend to be something I am not. I do not fabricate or exaggerate. I know who I am. You do not know who I am. There are judgements made. Judgements made about me and maybe I am making judgements about you. Can I share your food? Are you willing to share? I will share mine but if you steal it am I likely to share again? Would you share again if I stole your food?