Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you stay here? ITV - The Savoy

(66 Posts)
tidyskatemum Thu 15-Oct-20 21:36:17

I've been watching the ITV programme about the Savoy Hotel and I've been gobsmacked by how it appears to be totally lacking in class. Staff I'd think twice about employing at MacDonalds, including the concierge sitting at his desk and chewing gum, horrendous ill-fitting uniforms, general tackiness and guests who seem to have an awful lot more money than taste. If I had over £500 to spend for a night in a hotel I'm sure I'd be going elsewhere.

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 10:51:01

I’ve never stayed at The Savoy, The Ritz, or Claridges, although I have stayed at some other very nice five star hotels in London. I’ve had afternoon tea at The Ritz twice, but I did feel that between the first and the second visit that things had gone a bit more down market. However I’d like to take afternoon tea at The Savoy, just for the experience. If you like afternoon tea, London has some beautiful hotels where it’s a lovely experience.

Lucca Fri 16-Oct-20 10:54:44

LauraNorder

Lucca maybe antwacky is a scouse word. We’ve always used it to describe something very old fashioned. I have no idea how to spell the word but imagine it came from antiquated. It is probably fairly apt as a mix of antique, wacky and tacky.
Mr Norder and I felt that many of the rooms were old fashioned rather than tastefully decorated with lovely period features and antiques as we would have expected hence my description antwacky

Great word thanks!

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Oct-20 11:13:52

Would I stay? At the Savoy? hmm

Like a shot. And yes, chance would be a fine thing. grin

LauraNorder Fri 16-Oct-20 13:28:28

Lucca I have just googled ‘antwacky‘. It is in fact a scouse word and I did spell it correctly, even my definition was correct., I’ve impressed myself.
Hopefully the usage will spread as it is quite a descriptive word.

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 13:41:33

jaylucy it wasn't so much that the old lady sat alone at the bar every week, it was that she went round talking to the other guests. And did she sing too along with the piano player? Sad, but I certainly would want her intruding on my evening.

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 13:45:19

Oooh yes, afternoon tea at The Ritz is my favourite maddy. My husband sings there with his choir a couple of times in December (and has tea provided)! The Christmas tree is amazing. It isn't happening this year sadly.

Jane10 Fri 16-Oct-20 13:49:48

We were booked for a 2 night stay at the Savoy in March. The programme editors are clearly only interested in featuring the expensive suites rather than the ordinary rooms so the cost wasn't nearly as eye-watering. There is a choice between 'Edwardian' and 'Art Deco' rooms. They're all recently refurbished. I booked a special offer, advanced payment and non refundable. Obviously, I had to cancel due to the lockdown and assumed that I'd lost the money. However, it was refunded in full straightaway. I was very impressed by the way I was treated by the Savoy and will certainly return when we can.
The only people likely to agree to be filmed would be those foolish exhibitionist types who play up to the cameras and really appear to be rather pathetic.

Millie22 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:08:41

No definitely not but after watching last night I dreamt about going for a meal there ....weird. The flowers were lovely though.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:29:03

Personally, even if I could afford it would not be staying at the Savoy. Already picked up on how tacky when foul mouthed Gordon Ramsey appeared in the first programme. Haven't bothered to watch since.

Same goes for the programme about Asprey Jewellers, its customers far from the refined of yesteryear.

Did either of these organisations do themselves any favours by being televised - I think not!

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 16-Oct-20 14:33:56

If I had the money I would stay in Claridges. There was a programme about that hotel a while ago and it looks sumptuous. In fact I told my family that if I ever won the Euromillions I would put us all up there for a few days

faringdon59 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:38:44

Yes, I felt it seemed somewhat tacky.
However, what I really didn't like was the butler's appraisal.
His boss, asking him why he lacked confidence?
Maybe working for a passive/aggressive boss was sapping his confidence and not empowering him in his role.
This boss seemed to think he was an excellent trainer!, but actually admitted that he liked the trainee to be 'a little bit afraid of him'!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Oct-20 15:29:22

faringdon59 the trainee butler is the late actress Linda Bellinghams son.

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 17:28:24

When all this is over perhaps those who like nice hotels should all meet up together for tea at The Ritz or Savoy.

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 17:30:15

I’d go.

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 18:03:33

maddyone

When all this is over perhaps those who like nice hotels should all meet up together for tea at The Ritz or Savoy.

Ooo yes, good idea!

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 19:00:47

Yes let’s, it would be lovely.

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Oct-20 19:10:30

Yes please! smile

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 19:20:08

That’s three then. Excellent.

welbeck Fri 16-Oct-20 19:21:35

what about a budget version, for us below-stairs types ?
no objection to fancy venues, but moolah is wanting.

LauraNorder Fri 16-Oct-20 19:30:45

Premier Inn for us then Welbeck tea and a scone in The Beefeater. grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Oct-20 19:32:30

Oh, put me down for that as well. I’m not particular. smile

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 19:32:40

St Ermin’s Hotel is a four star hotel in central London and is offering a full afternoon tea with half a bottle of house champagne for £34 until the end of November. Unfortunately that offer will go, but others will appear in other hotels.

Jane10 Fri 16-Oct-20 19:41:47

Great idea. I can't see me coming down to London though. Maybe the Scottish Grans could do a posh afternoon tea up here one day. I think they've already had one. I remember hearing about it. Sounded lovely.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Oct-20 19:45:25

Hi folks I am definitely in wherever you decide ??

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 19:46:02

Do you think afternoon teas outside in the parks will cotton on in 2021?