Gransnet forums

Chat

No more Gransnet

(39 Posts)
Illte Mon 19-Oct-20 18:10:50

I have to stop coming on Gransnet.

I burnt the curry onto the bottom of the saucepan.

And now I've burnt the rice..

Stephenmarra Mon 19-Oct-20 18:33:53

As long as you don't burn any bridges no harm done smile

Toyoungtobeadamnedgran Mon 19-Oct-20 18:38:42

So is it takeaway for you tonight or have you a quick fridge saver meal you can whip out in its place.
I nearly burnt the chicken but it was only micro rice so I was saved by the ping ?

Urmstongran Mon 19-Oct-20 18:44:07

It’s addictive isn’t it Illte?
I don’t like to contemplate how many hours I must have spent on this forum ...
?

Spangler Mon 19-Oct-20 18:53:46

Urmstongran Mon 19-Oct-20 18:44:07
It’s addictive isn’t it Illte?

That's true, I used to think that I could resist anything except temptation, but this addictive forum is running a very close second.

And that's from an old man with no kids, who would have thought?

Greyduster Mon 19-Oct-20 19:01:13

I have had bacon snatched from the jaws of incineration in the past week, and a pan of new potatoes merrily boiling over on the hob yesterday. Good job it only needs a quick wipe to put it right! I do tend to get rather engrossed!

Marydoll Mon 19-Oct-20 19:42:00

My mistake is reading GN on my phone, whilst making dinner!
I should leave it somewhere out of tempation. Dinner was very late tonight, because of this. blush

sodapop Mon 19-Oct-20 20:08:41

I ration myself now only check in on GN when my chores are done or I have time for a breather ( frequent ) it is addictive.

agnurse Mon 19-Oct-20 21:19:57

You are talking to someone who burnt the macaroni and cheese and whose father barbecued tomato soup. Those incidents weren't due to Gransnet, though.

merlotgran Mon 19-Oct-20 21:28:03

A couple of years ago I posted, 'Sunday Lunch will be a little late today.'

Having spent most of the morning faffing about on Gransnet, I went to baste the chicken and there it was, sitting on the worktop, covered in foil, waiting to go in the oven! shock

LauraNorder Mon 19-Oct-20 21:28:33

Definitely addictive, I was going to suggest we are perhaps missing our real life friends but then felt bad because I feel I have real friends on here, just don’t know their real names.
Mr Norder says I chat more on here than I do to him, he’s not objecting, it means he doesn’t have to listen to my ramblings all day long.

Pantglas2 Tue 20-Oct-20 08:06:23

Ha ha LauraNorder - my DH says the same!

He asks every morning how all the Grans are and particularly you on Anglesey as he reckons you get our weather first, and then it trundles along the A55 to us!

I’m limiting my time on the forum as I find I’m not concentrating when reading or watching tv but dipping in and out!

Auntieflo Tue 20-Oct-20 08:26:23

It's when I log on to my IPad, and it lets me know how many hours I have wasted been browsing..........
Oh dear!

Nortsat Tue 20-Oct-20 08:36:35

Auntieflo the wretched thing that calculates average hours per day on the iPad, is an invention of no benefit to humanity.
It appears to tell me that I spend significant amounts of time on GN (it doesn’t know that I visit more than once a day ...)

Illte ... perfect excuse for a takeaway...

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Oct-20 08:59:05

It is interesting isn’t it what the actual relationship people feel they have with other posters.

I suspect that how people react/relate to each other is much the same as one does in real life.

For myself, I am quite a self contained individual in real life, but I do feel that I have more in common with some posters than others and can feel sympathetic with their posts but I don’t see folk I talk to on social media as friends in the traditional sense as there is so much we don’t know about each other.

I think that there isn’t yet the language to describe the relationship built up on social media.

Not Pen-friend but Tap-friend?

honeyrose Tue 20-Oct-20 09:19:33

I always go into GN every morning when I wake up and then dip in and out during the day. I’m finding i’m spending more and more time on it, but it doesn’t dominate all my time. I do love it! Great variety of topics - and wide-ranging opinions. I sometimes find myself agreeing with someone, only to read another post with opposite views and find myself agreeing with them too! GN does challenge the way I think about stuff. I’m the sort of person who can often see both sides of the coin, but have very strong opinions on certain subjects. I really enjoy GN - it’s like an increased circle of friends and I really identify with some of you. No names, no pack drill!

Purpledaffodil Tue 20-Oct-20 09:32:40

Whitewave I know a lovely lady I met on GN and have met once in RL, we use the term “ethereal friend”: friend on the ether. ?

M0nica Tue 20-Oct-20 10:27:45

I actually went cold turkey from March to about August, but then someone PM'd me, so I had a little look, just a look, you understand, I wasn't going to post - well, only occasionally..........

trisher Tue 20-Oct-20 10:32:34

Whew! The title of this thread nearly gave me a heart attack! I thought it was some sort of news. And I am not, repeat NOT! addicted. (Shoud we have a Grans Net Anonymous?)

Illte Tue 20-Oct-20 10:43:30

I lasted till the good night cup of tea ?

And here I am again ?

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 20-Oct-20 10:44:56

Have to admit I normally wait for coffee breaks to look at GN, one reason why i am often late!

hicaz46 Tue 20-Oct-20 10:51:15

When do you all get your gransnet emails? Mine arrives at about 9.30am.

Illte Tue 20-Oct-20 10:55:26

What's a Gransnet email? No, don't tell me!!!!

Unigran4 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:09:07

And mine hicaz46 . On the dot of 9.30

Hetty58 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:14:02

I turned off email notifications. I'm trying to keep it to coffee breaks - but I just drink a lot of coffee now!