Gransnet forums

Chat

Wouldn’t be seen dead in

(248 Posts)
Lucca Tue 20-Oct-20 09:59:33

Watching repeats of the great British sewing bee(even though I don’t sew). They made a blouse with a pussy bow tie. I realised I’d never ever wear one. What would you never wear ?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 21-Oct-20 13:50:28

Floral patterns, jogging trousers and tops, frilly clothes, turtle necks, tank tops.

Lettice Wed 21-Oct-20 13:57:02

Anything sleeveless, or skin tight fitting. Blue - I look as if I had died some time ago and been dug up. I can take any yellow, orange, brown, beige. All flatter me. Those flesh coloured leggings ! So many times when glimpsed I have thought someone had lost their breeks. And flowery prints.

Alioop Wed 21-Oct-20 14:03:11

I'm a redhead so grey & beige definitely out. Also in agreement with crocs, Jane10's SiL so right!

Rosina Wed 21-Oct-20 14:22:26

Frills
Leggings
Polyester
Anything with a visible zip - those loud, brass coloured ones that seem to be fashionable
Stilletoes - 'career about like Dick Emery
Yellow
Peach
Shorts - agggh!
Bikini
Plunging necklines.
In other words, dark colours, usually midi/maxi skirts or dresses, and my son says I look like a cockroach. Charming.

Llamedos13 Wed 21-Oct-20 14:50:29

Am I the only defender of Crocs? They now come in many different styles and my current crocs flipflops are the most comfortable things ever!

lizzypopbottle Wed 21-Oct-20 14:54:11

I wear leggings but never outside the house. Droopy long skirts and dresses with big, flat, thick soled builder's boots are not my look. Some of the hideous things that fashion articles try to sell us make even the skinny, teenage models look awful. And they all look so miserable about it! ?

Theoddbird Wed 21-Oct-20 15:00:05

Fitted and beige. Oh and Jeans. Jeans are for young people not oldies. ..hahaha. I love colour and bohemian. .

aonk Wed 21-Oct-20 15:19:58

Anything associated with older women such as fleeces, elasticated trousers, beige or pastel anoraks, fussy blouses, tan tights and shoes from Hotter. I go to younger shops and then try to pick out clothes suitable for my age. I want to look youthful for my age.

Daftbag1 Wed 21-Oct-20 15:20:27

Oh Lordy, the picture of me in a bikini is somewhere between a horror film and a comedy .
I can't wear high shoes (they just don't work with crutches).
Wouldn't be seen dead in anything clingy, and prefer discreet.

merlotgran Wed 21-Oct-20 15:24:55

Another one defending Crocs. I wore these a lot with dark grey jeans or beige linen trousers during the summer.

Nobody saw them of course thanks to Lockdown but they were very comfortable and looked surprisingly smart. Not at all clumpy.

Seefah Wed 21-Oct-20 15:34:51

Not sure I want to be seen dead at all !

f77ms Wed 21-Oct-20 15:44:03

Anything leather... Capri trousers ? beige. Maxi dresses (i look like mrs pepperpot) at less than 5ft now!

Millieangel Wed 21-Oct-20 15:47:37

Got to be leather trousers, my pet hate.

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 16:07:40

I know this is indelicate but I always wonder about ...hygiene...with leather trousers.
I had a caramel coloured leather coat in the early seventies, thought I was the cats pjs in it. I would also quite like a leather bomber style jacket for the winter with dresses and boots. Should I duck behind sofa ?

Dinahmo Wed 21-Oct-20 16:33:51

posset

Skirts of any type - they make me look matronly. I do love the look of Gudrunsjoden, but never had the courage to wear it!

I wear Gudrun clothes - there's two drawbacks - there's too many items in the catalogues that I want and it gets expensive if you want to layer as shown in the pictures.

4 years ago, on holiday in New York we needed more comfortable shoes and each bought a pair of Skechers. They didn't need wearing in and could be worn without socks or tights. don't like the current crop - at least those advertised on tv.

I agree that Prue Leith looks great - I'd like to be able to afford a wardrobe of specs like she has.

Phoebes Wed 21-Oct-20 16:36:55

If it suits me I wear it! Jeans, bikinis, bring it on! My husband would tell me if I looked daft!

Keeper1 Wed 21-Oct-20 16:37:13

I tried crocs for gardening in and found stones and twigs went in through the holes, very uncomfortable. I steer clear of anything floral I look like a Laura Ashley sofa

Phoebes Wed 21-Oct-20 16:38:04

Except real fur!
It looks better on its original owner.

Florida12 Wed 21-Oct-20 16:45:18

Leggings I hate the feeling, my legs feel smothered.
Low rise anything, I have a jelly belly
Cropped trousers, I have short legs
Converse pumps, I have froggy feet, hmm where are my crocs?
Ponchos, I once saw a very elegant lady, blonde hair, around 5’7” in height and slim, wearing a black poncho. I tried one on, I looked like nobody owned me.

DanniRae Wed 21-Oct-20 16:56:58

If If I go abroad for a holiday any time in the future I will be taking a bikini or two for around the pool. With a sarong around my waist - covering up the bit of me that I dislike. My boobs are ok. For swimming I wear a tankini - more comfortable than a swim suit in my opinion.
I have a black leather bomber jacket and the last time I went out with my family for a meal to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary - back in March - I wore it with a Next floral midi dress and boots. I must have looked ok because my family would have told me if I didn't hmm
I also wear leggings BUT only with a long tunic type top and never white or flesh coloured! grin

MollyM Wed 21-Oct-20 17:17:16

Big knickers

Marydoll Wed 21-Oct-20 17:28:47

If I take notice of all the pet hates on here, I will need to go out wearing a black bin bag! I obviously have absolutely no taste! ?

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Oct-20 17:35:44

MollyM

Big knickers

No! Tiny knickers are a no-no for me (or rather an impossibility)

grannyqueenie Wed 21-Oct-20 17:44:02

Took the very words out of my mouth, Marydoll......but my personal fashion police aka my 4 daughters seem to think I look half decent so I’m inclined to just ignore all comments here and stick with what I’m doing!

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 17:52:01

Marydoll

If I take notice of all the pet hates on here, I will need to go out wearing a black bin bag! I obviously have absolutely no taste! ?

I have a feeling you have excellent taste