Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(79 Posts)
12Michael Fri 23-Oct-20 06:14:53

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and wet this morning In Brackley .
Plans for the day include a shop this morning , maybe get some Fish & Chips .
As to comments yesterday , the weight loss , checked my records and had been that weight in July .
Anyway more cycling on TV with Giro with a Brit in 3rd place overall at the moment .
Take Care ,
Mick

Jaxjacky Fri 23-Oct-20 10:14:55

Beechnut me too!!

Grandmafrench Fri 23-Oct-20 10:29:25

Good Morning everyone from warm, overcast S of France.

Seems as if Friday is ‘overcast’ for many today. Lots of damp, depressing, grey, dispiriting stuff happening.....and that’s not just the government....so even some normally doughty Grans are struggling.

Sorry to hear about your DD, Scentia. Think you do need to say something..to someone. You know her, why would you imagine a situation which you know isn’t right. If it’s not due to her absent (?) DH or real anxiety about her own health...and she won’t open up to you.... then you’d want to share your concern, I’m sure. Fingers crossed it’s just a bit of a blip in this mad world we struggle in.

Susan what a shock for you. With no delays to treatment, she’ll probably start to see much improvement quickly. Let’s hope so. Try not to worry and you’re able, as always, to make a huge and helpful difference caring for those littlies.

A bit of a bummer, Beauregard, especially when you felt it was going to be ok. But if they totally switch off and care for themselves above everything, life will hopefully get back on an even keel pdq. ??? to you all and DON’T stress.

Another nice incarceration for you, Lins ? We’ve got everything crossed it’ll make a proper difference and maybe Wales will set an example because not much else seems to be working, does it? Keep busy and keep on going, so the time flies.

Waiting in for a delivery - new shoes for DH. I’m envious, though a re-vamp of my shoe storage has shown almost no wear for most pairs since the Spring. Feeling more like Cinderella each day! Nope, can’t think like that....we could be ill, so I shall just polish my shoes and save them for future occasions when I’m regularly out and abouting in polite society once again. ???? After the DHL flying visit, we’ll mask up and do the weekend grocery run, since edibles are getting a bit thin on the ground chez nous! #lazytypes

Marydoll your garden table? ? That has to be the final indignity.....but at least it wasn’t tracked all over your home before breakfast - and you won’t have to bend to clear it up! #almostawinthen #consideratecat!

Here’s hoping you all find a small ray of light and hope today, if you have pain or worries. Small miracles do happen and we need to stay strong, fit and well while we cope with so many of life’s buggerations - especially now. So United Grannies! Warm wishes for a decent day, all, wherever you are and whatever you’re doing.

Hugs, as always, from a foreign land ????

EllanVannin Fri 23-Oct-20 10:29:39

Good Morning All x.
Not particularly light outside as yet but it looks dry from what I can see.
Speaking of dreams, just before I woke up I was trying to shake a large Axminster runner grin it was so heavy and kept folding. Even the colour was something I wouldn't have chosen---mustard ! ? It did have big flowers on it. What a peculiar dream.

Whether the heating engineer will get in touch I don't know but it's a good job it's not too cold yet, though in the evenings it's a bit miserable without a bit of warmth so I put the fire on for a couple of hours. The heating actually works but I'm scared that it fires up again after being switched off so I've left it alone in case it does it again.

Workmanship definitely isn't the same as it was because in the big house where I once lived there were 13 radiators and a big Potterton boiler and nothing went wrong. I'm very disillusioned when any work is carried out now. Nothing is the same as it was. Oh dear, I'm off again.

I might get a visit from D today with a heap of paperwork I want to go through. To cut a long story short when GD lost her partner this year----the dad of her children---she was jumped on by social services for " neglecting " the children but at the same time she'd needed support for the depression she was suffering and didn't receive it, hence why 3 of the children were put into foster care and D has the 3 older ones with her and then of course Ruby-Lou got out of hand with her behaviour and is in a private clinic in Durham. Nobody knows what's going to happen to the poor child.

The paperwork pertains to a court case this coming Monday probably via video-link I'm not sure, but GD wants her mum and I to support her. I'm going to study the paperwork for any anomalies or fabrications that there might be because GD is not a bad person and brought the children up to the best of her ability under difficult circumstances when her partner was in and out of hospital for the past couple of years suffering from lymphoma.

Empathy is not high on the list of social workers I'm afraid, but scoring points is. GD has a lawyer so I hope he's up to scratch because our whole world has been turned upside down. It's been an horrendous year with lockdown making things worse but I'm strong and will stand tall against anyone and providing I've got my notes in front of me I'll fight, although this isn't a case of blood being thicker than water in that it's my GD, it's about her rights and also those rights of the children too.
I aim to stamp out any hearsay and also fabricated evidence, as the knives will be out.

GD is not mentally strong at the moment and this is what she fears most as regards the children being with her, which is why she had been reluctant for help in the first place but with no support being given to her how is she expected to cope ? Initially there was, in March, then it fizzled out as soon as lockdown came. None of them had time to grieve over the loss of their dad. I'm disgusted with SS to be quite honest. Aren't they supposed to offer help and support ? Not whip up all the children and take them away from a vulnerable mother.

BTW, I " haven't mattered " in all this because I'm old and stupid----they'll find out otherwise grin

Apologies for the long Sermon, but you can only keep quiet for so long with this going on and I do have a knack of " shutting off " so that it doesn't cloud my brain, thankfully.
What I don't want/need is pity nor sympathy as I'll deal with it as best I can.x

Anyway, after me crumpets, I hope everyone is alright and Mick I hope you don't have another of your turns---low blood sugar probably, so stay well.
Remain safe and well along with thoughts to those who aren't feeling very clever xx

hollysteers Fri 23-Oct-20 10:31:12

Morning Mick one and all from a dull west coast Lancashire. Just typed my message on the wrong Friday, so off again.
Had a better night as forced myself to go to bed before 3 in the morning “Put that IPad down and turn off the tv woman!” I said.? I sent postcards off to friends and relatives from a recent day trip before level 3. I enjoy writing them and it’s nice for shielders with not much going on. Not that my life is a cabaret...
I’m going to put a block of lavender soap between my sheets tonight for restless legs and cramp. I have lovely sleep stories on my calm app, train journeys etc, but I never get to listen to the whole story, as I drop off. I might tackle a bag of mending from a thousand years ago, mainly holey black tights. The cat has just jumped through the bedroom window after a night on the razzle (it’s a bungalow)
Sending thoughts to all who are troubled in any way, I enjoy reading all the morning posts later on.

GrandmasueUK Fri 23-Oct-20 10:39:37

Good morning all from a very wet Greater Manchester. A bit late this morning although I have showered and had a coffee brought to me by DP. He's not pleased as he'd having to travel for work today. He usually works from home in his garden office. It has no heating so sometimes he's out there in his coat and hat, which makes me laugh.

I've got an 'empty' as Marydoll might say as my daughter is working until 3. That means my ironing can be tackled in a while. I can put a film on while I'm doing it. I'm also expecting a phone call from my SiL, who is really more like a sister. The ironing will probably go on hold them.

Wishing everyone with ills and troubles a peaceful day. flowers Stay safe xx

Borrheid55 Fri 23-Oct-20 10:49:31

MawB2 thats a great little graphic. I sent it to my DIL recently. I used to train people in management , time and stress skills. Hope it helps!

Borrheid55 Fri 23-Oct-20 10:53:30

Marydoll I read that pepper is a good deterrent ( or lion dung!). Coleus plants are a prettier solution! The lion dung is available as pellets apparently!

ginny Fri 23-Oct-20 11:02:47

Good Morning from N. Bucks. I haven’t posted on here for quite some time but have enjoyed reading all your news.
Sad for those who are missing at the moment and all those with problems and illness.
A day at home for me, some food prep. for tomorrow and I may mix up the Christmas puds.
A bit of sewing or crochet later.
Had a lovely message from a couple we met when on holiday in February, saying that they are hoping we can meet up again before too long
Quite a busy weekend coming up.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:15:56

A late morning all from a wet South Notts. It seems to be 'one day sun, next day rain' as in a song lyric. Am I despondent? No. I refuse to let the weather upset me.

I'll spend a quiet day in, just pottering, doing as I please with a little housework thrown in to assuage the guilt.

Look after yourselves everyone, especially those with sadness or worries.

Grandmafrench Fri 23-Oct-20 11:17:38

You go get ‘em, Ellan - so much better for all, and your own peace of mind if you can have your say.

Nice to see you posting and hope life’s being kind to you, ginny. Enjoy your busy weekend!

EllanVannin Fri 23-Oct-20 11:20:59

I sure will Grandmafrench. I thank God I've still got all my marbles and am capable of putting in my sixpenn'orth.

Kalu Fri 23-Oct-20 11:35:24

Good morning from a rainy day in Glasgow.

A morning phone chat with DD1 this time. These chats can take up the best part of my morning but I’m not complaining. I enjoy these chats with my girls as they are a tonic for the three of us.

We never stop worrying about our children Scentia no matter what age they are. I hope all goes well for your DD.

Another day of this and that and we joked this morning realising it was Friday, we can have the weekend off to look forward to?. I think we have now completely lost the plot!

Best wishes to all, especially our friends with illness and worries.

Doodle Fri 23-Oct-20 11:37:35

EllanVannin I don’t post much on this thread but I feel so sorry for your family and Ruby-Lou. I wish you all the best and that this little family can be reunited and helped.

supernanauna1 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:43:16

I'm a new poster on the 'good morning' threads so I hope there's room for a little one (I'm shrinking)!

I live in West London and while it was a dry cool morning earlier it's just started to rain.

I've been reading these threads for so long that I feel as if I know some of you in real life. And the gentle words of comfort and advice that come through are heartwarming.

I've been hunting for a raincoat without padding and can't find one anywhere. Found some this morning in M*****n only to discover that they were internet returns, not my size, and the website is sold out. I got drenched on Wednesday collecting my GD from school so really need a proper raincoat - not just something showerproof.

Anyway - my best wishes to all who have troubles and let's just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Life isn't easy for anybody at the moment.

EllanVannin Fri 23-Oct-20 11:46:37

Thankyou Doodle, I'm hoping upon hope I can help make it happen.

Grandmabatty Fri 23-Oct-20 11:47:40

Welcome supernanaunal

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:04:49

Supernanaunal have a look at Joules I have a lovely waterproof jacket with hood, not padded and they come in different lengths.

Welcome ???‍♀️

Auntieflo Fri 23-Oct-20 12:08:13

Good morning/ afternoon to all

Just realised that I signed in on the wrong Friday thread.
Oh dear, must get my thoughts into gear.

NannyJan53 Fri 23-Oct-20 13:32:54

Welcome to this thread supernanuna1 glad you feel able to post, everyone is very welcoming here.

GrannySomerset Fri 23-Oct-20 14:10:58

Supernan - look at Landsend for warm but not padded waterproof coats. I am delighted with mine and it is a rather nice dusky pink so fairly cheerful on a grey day like today.

EV - all power to you in getting the best outcome for the children who have had a very tough time. I always knew that grannies and great grannies were put on earth for a reason!

NanKate Fri 23-Oct-20 14:41:12

A late call in to Mick and All today.

Had to be at the hospital for 8.00am for tests which all went well.

Now relaxing at home and will have a lovely meal tonight to celebrate our 49th Wedding Anniversary. When I was talking to the nurse this morning she could hardly believe anyone could be married for 49 years ?

Taichinan Fri 23-Oct-20 14:46:28

Ellan you and your poor family have been through so much this year, and I can understand a tiny bit of it as my SiL also died after lymphoma four years ago, just four days after my partner died suddenly of a massive heart attack. So it's not pity but a heart-felt huge admiration for the strong lady you are. Your family is so lucky to have you to support them and speak up for them.

EllanVannin Fri 23-Oct-20 14:48:04

So pleased for you NanKate, enjoy your evening x flowers

Beauregard Fri 23-Oct-20 14:54:59

Congratulations NanKate and Mr N. Enjoy your special day ??flowers

NannyJan53 Fri 23-Oct-20 15:18:15

Glad your tests went well NanKate. Enjoy your special evening, 49 years is quite an achievement flowers