Gransnet forums

Chat

What are all the abbreviations???

(82 Posts)
riccib123 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:52:14

I have only recently joined but keep seeing letters in capitals within the headings that mean nothing to me. DH being one! Please can someone advise this novice as it feels like a closed group I cannot join. Thanks ?

BlueBelle Sat 09-Jan-21 13:45:00

BlueBelle Sometimes the D in DH stands for a D word that definitely isn't Darling - more liked Damned or Dratted, and if the poster has spelt out "Darling" in full they would have meant it ironically
I totally understand that which makes it even sillier at least if you write it you know the person is being sarcastic
I just think it’s a copycat thing to look hip no one can really be so lazy especially as we are all sitting on our arxxx as to not write darling daughter or drafted husband

BlueBelle Sat 09-Jan-21 13:52:51

Dratted bit drafter ??

eazybee Sat 09-Jan-21 14:14:49

I was told, by whom I have no idea, that if I used initials as abbreviations in a piece of writing I should always use the correct words once, at the beginning.
I wish the journalist who used GOP in her article about the Capitol Protesters had used it before her very last line.

Grand Old Party, (Republican). Who knew?

Elegran Sat 09-Jan-21 15:45:15

I take it you don't yet have any arthritis in your fingers, Bluebell Typing a few letters instead of several words can be a saving in finger-aches. Some of us also have to type with one finger at a time and look down at the keyboard to find each letter.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 09-Jan-21 17:51:26

Well, I like them (most of them). I'm happy to call Mr When DH, because he is my dear husband. My DGCs' phone numbers are listed as DGC1 Esmerelda, DGC2 Peregrine, etc, which means that I can find them all in the same place and add another one as they all become old enough to have their own phone numbers.

As for things like WTF and FFS, I find them a convenient way of expressing meaning without causing offence.

So there. smile

Witzend Sat 09-Jan-21 23:24:15

My favourites are CF, CBA, and FOTTFSOF, all gleaned from Mumsnet.
They’re all rude, so I wouldn’t want to appal anybody by spelling them out here.