Gransnet forums

Chat

Those hats with the big pom poms

(170 Posts)
EthelTheTank Fri 23-Oct-20 23:06:42

I love them so much I actually have 3 of them. DH asked what I'd like for Christmas and I said I'd maybe like one in navy. He then tells me he actually doesn't like my big pom pom wooly hats and said they are made for people in their teens. What do you think?

Feelingmyage55 Sat 24-Oct-20 01:22:34

Marydoll. Those few inches are why my daughter thinks I should have one. If she buys me one I’ll wear it. ?. Although she’ll probably pinch it back.

welbeck Sat 24-Oct-20 01:52:33

the ones with 2 pom-poms disturb me somehow.
in the olden days, BC, when i used to get on buses, esp if i was on that seat which is higher than the one in front, and there were 2 pom-poms in front of me, i had a strong urge to reach out and squeeze them.
don't know why. didn't do it. don't want to be had up for assault, by touching a stranger's pom-pom.

FarNorth Sat 24-Oct-20 02:34:29

The hats that I think really don't suit old people are the knitted ones with ear flaps.

FarNorth Sat 24-Oct-20 02:35:14

Not that anyone here is actually old, of course blush

seacliff Sat 24-Oct-20 03:14:51

Go for it, have what YOU want

Juliet27 Sat 24-Oct-20 04:32:34

A friend has a huge pom-pom with a little hat on it!

NfkDumpling Sat 24-Oct-20 06:13:46

If you like them and feel confident in them, then fine. Personally, I'm happy with a discrete pom-pom but the size now is getting a bit silly. Soon the pom-pom will be bigger than the wearers head. Or perhaps the hat will just become a pom-pom so you become a pom-pom with a face.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Oct-20 06:22:05

I live on the South Coast and walk the dog on the South Downs.

Everyone wears a hat in winter, why on Earth wouldn’t you.?

I have hats of every sort. From beanies through to fur hats and everything in between. I have hats with bobbles and hats with none. I have hats that are pull on and more structured hats. And of course my waterproof ones!?

If it is bitterly cold I wear two hats!! A woolly pull on and then the coat hood on top, with scarf wrapped around my neck to keep it all in place.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Oct-20 06:32:44

Oh I forgot to say - I have no big Pom Pom hats? but if I fancied one I would buy it.

BlueBelle Sat 24-Oct-20 06:45:09

I have never worn a hat since school although I live on the coast, but hats just don’t suit me, even at a wedding I wouldn’t wear a hat I know I m different as women are suppose to love hats and handbags but they just aren’t on my radar at all

If you love them who cares what others think wear your Pom Pom with pride

Calendargirl Sat 24-Oct-20 07:06:03

When I was little, you wore woolly hats with pom poms on the end of a woolly ‘string’, which moved if you flicked your head.
A school bus driver said he liked my hat! and I was worried he would want it!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Oct-20 07:09:13

bluebell what do you wear in the rain or snow or freezing wind?

kittylester Sat 24-Oct-20 07:15:06

I never wear a hat at all as I have really fine hair which looks awful when I take a hat off.

I wear Uggs sheepskin earmuffs! You could think about that.

Grammaretto Sat 24-Oct-20 07:19:06

The big pompoms were a fashion last winter mostly worn by young women.
Our town takes a while to catch on. My hat has a small pompom. I must fish it out again and hope it doesn't look puny beside all the monster balls of fluff.

BlueBelle Sat 24-Oct-20 07:23:48

whitewavemark i ve got an everyday coat a parka with a hood if it rains or snow (quite rare) .... wind doesn’t get any special treatment, it’s always windy on the coast ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Oct-20 07:30:26

I think I must live in an enclave of winter hat wearers!

Juliet27 Sat 24-Oct-20 07:34:28

Like you Bluebelle I haven’t worn a hat since having to at school. They just don’t suit me at all.

JackyB Sat 24-Oct-20 08:06:56

Just goes to show how "Germanised" I've got. My first thought on reading the title of this thread was of the traditional costume worn by girls in the Black Forest.

BlueBelle Sat 24-Oct-20 08:22:42

Hooray juliette I don’t feel like an outcast any more ???
I don’t think it’s a good look for me luckily I have good head of thick hair which serves as my blanket ??

sodapop Sat 24-Oct-20 08:24:37

I have a "Vera" hat for dog walking in the rain.

dragonfly46 Sat 24-Oct-20 08:29:41

I have a red pom-pom hat which glitters. I love it - it was especially good when I had no hair and lots of people admired it.
Hats last winter were a godsend!

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 08:38:43

Just carry a pair of skis with you when you go out?
?

Baggs Sat 24-Oct-20 08:45:12

Fair bit of hattist ageism on this thread ?

Ethel, your husband you're not asking him to get you something he likes, but something you like. Funny how some people don't seem to understand that concept.

Baggs Sat 24-Oct-20 08:45:37

Second word should be "tell"

tanith Sat 24-Oct-20 08:46:24

I have lots of Winter hats, navy with pom-pom and sparkles, purple beanie, grey beanie, faux fur ear warmer and an Aran one with pom-pom. I’ll wear what I like to keep me warm as I walk a lot even in Winter why people would think hats with pom-pom are just for children I have no idea.