Gransnet forums

Chat

R.I.P. GreatNan

(52 Posts)
Rufus2 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:26:37

This week marks the 7th anniversary of GreatNan’s death. The exact date is not known because it occurred whilst she was out walking near her home in the French Alps. She was missing for 8 days, probably as a result of a fall, although I haven’t found any information in that regard, but there are over 400 messages at that time showing how well regarded she had been.

GreatNan enjoyed walking alone in remote mountain passes to enjoy the scenery, but knew the risks, having previously had a nasty fall.
I’ve enjoyed her legacy of jokes left with Gransnet, many of which she freely admitted to plagiarising from the’Net, but other ‘Netters also contributed. some of whom are still with us.
GreatNan appears to have been a remarkable woman and I would have loved to “meet” her, not only for her jokes but also other products of her lively mind.
Anyway, by way of thanks on this anniversary I propose to reproduce a joke-a-day during this week; some that I particularly enjoyed!
Good Health

Rufus2 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:31:28

Church Bells
On hearing that her elderly grandfather had just passed away, Katie went straight to her grandparent's house to visit her 95 year old grandmother and comfort her.
When she asked how her grandfather had died, her grandmother replied, "He had a heart attack while we were making love on Sunday morning."
Horrified, Katie told her grandmother that 2 people nearly 100 years old having sex would surely be asking for trouble.
"Oh no, my dear, " replied granny. "Many years ago, realizing our advanced age, we figured out the best time to do it was when the church bells would start to ring. It was just the right rhythm. Nice and slow and even. Nothing too strenuous, simply in on the Ding and out on the Dong."
She paused, wiped away a tear and then continued, "And if that damned ice cream truck hadn't come along, he'd still be alive today!" grin
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo

Urmstongran Sun 25-Oct-20 10:32:23

That would indeed be a fitting tribute Rufus. Nice idea.

Elegran Sun 25-Oct-20 10:44:03

PS to your opening post, Rufus and for your information, yes, it was determined that it was the result of a fall while walking a tricky path in an remote mountain area, and also that her death had been instantaneous, so she had not been lying injured and undiscovered. A relief to those who had been waiting for news.

annodomini Sun 25-Oct-20 10:44:31

Thank you Rufus. She was a good friend to me. I stayed with her twice in her little Alpine apartment. She had an interesting and varied life. Those of us who knew her well still miss her. She had planned eventually to go to live in New Zealand with her daughter and was very proud of her growing family all of whom are flourishing. When she disappeared I was able to supply her car registration number and they found her - yes, at the bottom of a cliff in her beloved mountains.
Great Nan, always remembered in friendship and love.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:09:25

I can remember her death. Although I only knew her on GN, it was a sad time.

My goodness the time has gone so quickly.

tanith Sun 25-Oct-20 12:15:10

It was indeed a very sad time on Gransnet she touched many hearts with her wonderful posts. ?

Charleygirl5 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:15:40

I did not realise it was so long ago now- I remember the horror of it all so well.

Squiffy Sun 25-Oct-20 12:38:46

It was through hearing the sad story on the radio and how some GNetters were involved in the search that I first heard of GN and joined. GreatNan was obviously a well respected member. Nice idea of yours Rufus flowers

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:40:49

A very very sad time indeed.

Granny23 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:19:09

made me laugh....... (1000 Posts)

I don't know if this will work but this is the heading for the original thread of jokes posted by GreatNan. I found it by putting GreatNan in the search box. I thought I could add a comment to make the thread live but as it already has 1000 posts that cannot be done.

boodymum67 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:23:40

love it!

boodymum67 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:25:30

sorry I posted my comment about Rufus joke, as it was so funny, before adding this;

Of course I wish to add my respects on the anniversary of Great nan`s passing. She sounds like a wonderful character. xx

crazyH Sun 25-Oct-20 13:30:23

She does sound like a great character. I wish I knew her ...

SilverDarlings12 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:30:45

Thank you RUFUS. From South Lakes. Slainte. x

Iam64 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:47:41

There is a thread running asking where people have gone. My first thought was GreatNan. Her posts were always interesting, well informed and added positively to any discussion. Seven years, Id not realised it's so long ago.

kittylester Sun 25-Oct-20 13:49:50

Crumbs, anno that long.

I found her slightly daunting but I was unused to fora then.

RIP.

J52 Sun 25-Oct-20 14:45:04

So sad, I had recently joined GN and found her very amusing, she certainly deserved the respect that people gave her.

annsixty Sun 25-Oct-20 15:30:56

She always registered as Supernan to me.
She had had many career paths, lived in lots of places and was a master of many talents.
She packed more into her life than five other people.
That time has gone very quickly.

Mamie Sun 25-Oct-20 16:46:08

Glad to know the family are doing well Anno. She posted so much about them. I think all of us who were around at that time will have it etched on our memory. I remember emailing French mountain rescue services to try and get help and having some lovely messages back.

Cherrytree59 Sun 25-Oct-20 17:04:45

I believe GranJura (sadly no longer on GN) also helped with the mountain search.

Fennel Sun 25-Oct-20 17:14:10

I remember those days that was when I joined Gransnet to find out what happened to her.
I had 'met' her on several other forums where she was called Carole. She lived not far from me in France at one time

Kalu Sun 25-Oct-20 17:20:57

I found Greatnan inspirational with a wonderful sense of adventure and can do attitude. I asked for the help of media in France hoping locals would help in the search. I remember Jura returning to GN at that point too.
It was a devastating day when the news broke that Greatnan’s body had been found. Her daughter’s post broke my heart.

RIP Greatnan

Rufus2 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:29:27

as it already has 1000 posts that cannot be done
Granny23; That's a silly rule isn't it? I started a reply last evening, coughed and it vanished! hmm
But not to worry; not all 1,000 are relevant; if so , we'd die laughing before we'd got to 500; I simply cherry-pick what I think are good ones, highlight (select), copy/paste!
I think there is at least one other long thread, but it's harder to find. Seek and ye shall find, eventually!
Joke 2 shortly!
Good Health

Rufus2 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:39:57

A wealthy man was having an affair with an Italian woman for a few years.
One night, during one of their rendezvous, she confided in him that she was pregnant.
Not wanting to ruin his reputation or his marriage, he paid her a large sum of money if she would go to Italy to have the child. If she stayed in Italy,
he would also provide child support until the child turned 18.
She agreed, but wondered how he would know when the baby was born. To keep it discreet, he told her to mail him a post card, and write "Spaghetti" on the back. He would then arrange for child support.
One day, about 9 months later, he came home to his confused wife.
"Honey," she said, "you received a very strange post card today."
"Oh, just give it to me and I'll explain it later," he said.
The wife obeyed, and watched as her husband read the card, turned white, and fainted.
On the card was written "Spaghetti, Spaghetti, Spaghetti. Two with meatballs, one without."