Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(68 Posts)
12Michael Wed 28-Oct-20 06:15:52

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight here in Brackley slight wind, and dry here in Brackley .
Yesterdays trip out went to plan , and am starting to prepare to xmas stuff in present form .
Today , small shop ,and then an easy day watching the Vuelta from Spain later .
Interesting thing as to Facebook , I responded to an article, and got a like , so I contacted the person with a message , knowing of the family when they lived at Towcester , it was the mother of the girlfriend of Tao who won the Giro , apparently still in a buzz since his race win .
Take Care ,
Mick

Jaxjacky Wed 28-Oct-20 07:49:39

Morning Mick and all from a damp, hazy S Hants. I’m not good in the mornings, a slow easing in to the day with mugs of tea is normal. Not today, new l. room bay window and front door being fitted, DH has removed blinds, table and dead insects lurking. I’ve moved my car off the drive, the hanging basket away from the front door and am watching the noisy glass bin lorry emptying peoples glass waste. When I used to go to work early, I’d have a nosy in the glass waste of the neighbours, how many wine bottles! If we’d had a large bbq, I’d feel like leaving a note to justify all the empties! Hopefully in a few hours we’ll have a draught free downstairs and blinds back up, it feels quite exposed.
Have a gentle day all.

Urmstongran Wed 28-Oct-20 07:54:41

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s a lovely start to the day. No wind that’s perfect.

After breakfast we will stroll into Arroyo de la Miel as I have a hair appointment booked in a salon which has been recommended. I booked the appointment for midday so we would have plenty of time for a cafe con leche first.

We go home next month and as Manchester is Tier 3 the hair salons are closed so I want to take this opportunity to get it cut whilst I can! Himself is keeping an eye out for flights.

I noticed last night how quiet it is during curfew 11pm till 6am. No council bin men emptying the huge Biffa bins at 4am and no annoying screechy scrambler bikes on the road. You could hear a pin drop. It’s unsettling.

I see in the local newspaper that Marbella council is removing the horse drawn carriages which were always popular with tourists. Not so anymore apparently. Each driver is to receive €32,000 to stand down. I went on one once, about 15y ago with a friend. We had a picturesque drive clip clopping under the pretty blossoms of the jacaranda trees.

Hope Wednesday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

EllanVannin Wed 28-Oct-20 08:01:40

Good Morning All x
A nice enough start to the day which makes a difference to the energy levels so I'll empty out the bathroom and get myself armed with the mop and bucket with red hot Zoflora water and give it a good doing everywhere.
That'll be one good job done for starters.

Just remembered to email my prescription as I forgot yesterday so it's done now. It was the warfarin more than anything so it'll be here on Friday. I don't have anything really drastic to take fortunately like many others do.

I'm about ready for the crumpets and cocoa after my muddy tea earlier. I love that strong cuppa first thing it sets me up nicely.

I was thrilled to hear that you've got hair to cut, Dragonfly. It's a great sign of things working normally within the body. I'm so pleased for you x No wonder you're excited smile

Hope everyone's day goes well and worry-free. Always thoughts to those who find things tough going. Gilly x
Whatever you all do, stay safe and well.

Sark Wed 28-Oct-20 08:01:42

Good Morning from Oxfordshire.
Pale blue sky and cloud here.
Just a work day followed by seeing personal trainer who nearly finishes me off!
Have a good day everyone

NannyJan53 Wed 28-Oct-20 08:04:18

Good Morning from a dry but cloudy Black Country.

Made Soda bread yesterday, it was very tasty!

It was announced on our Midands News last night that our area will be moved to Tier 2 Thursday. So that means cannot meet anyone in an indoor setting. So bang goes meeting friends or family for lunch etc! We can meet in the garden, but not so appealing this time of year. Not too surprised as we are the only Borough left in West Mids in Tier 1. We had planned a trip to Stamford in a B & B in 2 weeks for the weekend, to see my friend, but looks like I will have to cancel now sad

No real plans today, probably pop over to Mums (as she is my bubble), So sad we cannot do anything with granddaughters this half term.

Pleased your appointment went well NanKate, seems like as usual a pain in the purse though!

Glad to see BlueSapphire posting. Thinking of gilly and hope she is ok.

Wishing you all a pleasant day,

harrigran Wed 28-Oct-20 08:05:57

Good morning from a dry but cloudy NE.
Click and collect this morning, let's hope they do better this week with use by dates.
We received some happy news yesterday, my cousin's DD had a second son. There are not many children in our family so we do get excited when a little one arrives. Her other little boy was born on the same day as Prince Louis.
My sister arrived at her holiday destination, I hope she is careful.

Gingster Wed 28-Oct-20 08:07:56

Good morning from a lovely bright Suffolk coast. It didn’t stop raining yesterday. DH and Little pooch got soaked on their walk. I didn’t go as I was clearing out cupboards. ?.

I too had new glasses, varifocals, last month. Cost a lot and I hate them. I’m back to wearing my £2.99 jobs.

Sar it’s horrible when you have neighbour problems . Hope you get it sorted and can relax. One of our neighbours has started to completely ignore us for some reason. So silly!

Chateline it’s funny how we so quickly get used to our own company. Nice for a short while. I’m sure you’ll be pleased when your partner is back ?.

baubles is tier 4 complete lockdown ?

Yes it’s nice to have a few projects to keep us motivated. My DH has completely lost his oomph. He had a TIA back in April and really hasn’t got back to normal! I hate seeing him just sitting watching tv but he gets cross when I mention it. I have to find things for him to do, or suggest outings. ?. An uphill struggle.

Keep safe and sane ???

Urmstongran Wed 28-Oct-20 08:11:18

That must be hard for you Gingster. Do you think your husband might have lost his confidence and feels safer at home? Might be worth a dollop of reassurance from his GP.
x

Lins1066 Wed 28-Oct-20 08:12:16

Good morning Mick and all from a dry and windy S Welsh coast. Gardeners came yesterday to cut down a large conifer, they will be here again today cutting back other trees and shrubs. We have a large back garden and it's too much for MrLins these days. An Asda delivery and a walk if it's dry later on.
Have a pleasant day and stay safe.

Greyduster Wed 28-Oct-20 08:18:32

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Another dreary day in South Yorkshire with more rain forecast. We took some stuff over to DD yesterday and she asked if we fancied a walk in the woods. It was drizzling, but we went and it was lovely to have her company for a couple of hours. We picked chestnuts. There are some quite big ones this year. We have no plans but a bit of cleaning up today. The house is a tip! Have the best day you can folks.

Nannytopsy Wed 28-Oct-20 08:18:51

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
It’s sunny with a cool breeze in Suffolk this morning. I would love to be out in the garden today but I still struggle to walk, let alone climb the steps. It will be laundry (DH can peg out!) until the rain arrives, then sewing.
Good luck with the haircuts dragonfly & Urmston - they will have to last a while.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Grandmafrench Wed 28-Oct-20 08:19:54

Good Morning everyone from a warm, dry - a bit overcast - Southern France.

Got the grumps today...waiting for our President to probably announce a full lockdown (tv speech tonight). Again! News today suggesting similar soon for UK. Hope that’s just a(nother) rumour. Is it me or does it just feel one small step forward and about 20 back. Must shake myself and go into the garden and do stuff....always makes me feel better.

Sorry you’re upset, Sar - do hope it’s got nothing to do with your car having been damaged.

Well done lovebeige and thanks for the photos. Me? I love a bit of retro?! As someone said upthread, having a project on the go is an excellent idea for us all - we need distractions more than ever now.

Fabulous post from you, BlueSapphire - you’ve shown so much determination and so glad you’re moving forward (with family help). It probably did seem that when you couldn’t find anything upbeat to say on here, there was no point. But please don’t forget you can be you, say how you feel and not need to put a brave face on stuff you can’t control. We’re all human, we all try and sometimes fail but we all care about each other. Make use of that support if and when you need it. #kindgransunite.

If everyone in your family can be as determined and focussed and practical as you, Ellan - it’ll be ok, I think. Your GD can’t fail to pick up healing vibes from a close family and she’ll benefit from that and hopefully get strong enough to care for her little family again - with some real hope for the future.

Kalu every town and village needs a wool shop like that. How fabulous! brook hope that your little GD simply has a harmless bug and tests negative. Everything crossed!

Have a safe day, all. Smile and let’s defy all thoughts of misery or gloom.......?????? Hugs from across the Channel

Gelisajams Wed 28-Oct-20 08:21:08

Good morning from a wet (again) Morecambe Bay. We got soaked through walking from the car park to the dentist yesterday. They were in a flat spin because the computers were down and they couldn’t see records. However our dentist said we were ok as he knew our teeth so well. Thankfully our teeth passed the inspection with no further work. It still cost a phenomenal amount! My fear of the dentist is not the treatment but his bill!
I’m getting worried now about putting my gardens to bed. There is not a dry day in the long term forecast. DH has suggested we plant one ladies pots up in the shelter of her garage which seems like a good idea.
Otherwise not a lot planned. We usually have a family get together for the communal bonfire In our village, but there’s no bonfire this year and of course we can’t meet anyway. I was wondering about setting up a family Zoom meet up. DS3 should be moving house early November so maybe he can give us a virtual tour of the new one.
We were supposed to be helping with the move by looking after DGD6, but that can’t happen now.
Anyway, thinking of those with bigger problems, take care and stay safe everyone ?

LauraNorder Wed 28-Oct-20 08:34:57

Good morning Mick and all from dry, sunny, windy Anglesey. Just popping in to wish you all a good week as I'm having a few vision problems so have decided to give the tablet and the phone a break as I am spending far too much time on Gransnet, you all make it so very enjoyable.
See you all next week.

annsixty Wed 28-Oct-20 08:36:36

Good morning all from a chilly Stockport.
It is so heartening but obviously sad for individuals, to read how many of you are sticking to the COVID rules, missing your families but standing firm.
So many people are just doing their own thing regardless.
I haven’t seen my D and GC since January but we believe in keeping ourselves and others safe.

I am making good progress from my op, all I have to do is find my mojo after doing so little for so long.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Grandmabatty Wed 28-Oct-20 08:40:26

Good morning All from a cold and windy Polmont. I'm off out soon to meet ds for breakfast in a cafe near where he stays. He's on holiday this week so it's nice to catch up. Apart from that, maybe a WhatsApp chat with friends this afternoon. Dgs has learned to say, "I try," when he wants something you have to eat or drink. He says it so sweetly that it's hard to resist. Yesterday was splashing in puddles and then splashing in the kitchen sink. Water featured highly. I hope you all have a good day.

BlueSapphire Wed 28-Oct-20 08:48:18

Good morning everyone from a sunny Northampton, but rain showers are forecast this afternoon.

A walk to the postbox this morning to post my youngest sister's birthday card- hoping it will get to North Yorkshire in time for Sunday. Then back to such mundane jobs as cleaning out the cat's litter tray and washing up.

The teabread I made yesterday turned out ok, and I have cut it into slices and put it in the freezer, so I can take out a slice when I fancy one. It is such an easy recipe (Mary Berry), and is an old faithful as it always goes down well.

Nothing else much planned for today, so will read my Agatha Christie. Oh and update my Sainsbury's order for tomorrow. And compose a review of the latest book for my book club.

Thank you for so many kind words.

Anniebach Wed 28-Oct-20 08:56:42

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Beauregard Wed 28-Oct-20 09:01:23

Good morning from Derbyshire where it's dry and bright.

This morning I'm going to finish my bulb planting as we have a narrow window of opportunity in between all the rain that is forecast this week.

The covid prisoners are doing ok. Still only SIL has it, so it looks like DD and the boys have got away with it. He is expected back at work on Monday but DD and boys are still quarantined until Wednesday. Her school want her to teach using zoom on Monday and Tuesday, which could prove interesting with her 5 and 6 year old boys at home in the background. It could be a bit Morecambe and Wise-esque methinks.

Hope everyone is well and has a good day today.

Mapleleaf Wed 28-Oct-20 09:18:44

Good morning everyone,

It's a better morning than yesterday with a bit of sunlight popping out between the clouds, but it feels a lot cooler. The forecast is for rain later in the morning, however.

I feel much better for getting my hair cut yesterday - it looks tamed again. ?

Mary Berry has some lovely teabread recipes doesn't she BlueSapphire? I made her banana loaf recipe on Sunday and it's very tasty.

Well, as usual, take care everyone and especially thinking of our absent posters. ?

Grammaretto Wed 28-Oct-20 09:19:57

Good morning from the Scottish Borders. It's not raining but maybe about to. Washing in or out?

DH is in hospital but we are hoping to get him home soon and I can visit later today. One named visitor for a max of one hour seems to be the rule here.
Our DS went yesterday and said the place was a fortress - as it should be.
Have as good a day as possible everybody and if you need a tester for your onion marmalade, Pantglas send some here!

Great to see you again Bluesapphire

GrannySomerset Wed 28-Oct-20 09:20:33

Bright and breezy this morning before the rain from the west sweeps in later. Friends coming for coffee and a welcome chat - must see people while we can, because I foresee tighter regulations on the horizon, and only seeing one another did neither of us any good. We need ordinary human interactions to keep us cheerful.

Susan56 Wed 28-Oct-20 09:21:21

Good morning from Shropshire where the weather is alternating between torrential rain and bright sunshine.

Another day of nothing very much planned today.We need to think of some winter projects.We did a lot of sorting and decorating during lockdown so not much to do really.We’ll think of something!

Ellan,I hope your granddaughter can find the strength she needs to be able to look after her little family again and that as well as all the love and support she gets from her family that she gets the professional support she needs too?

Sar,sorry you are having trouble with your neighbour?

Have a good day all and stay safe.

baubles Wed 28-Oct-20 09:29:34

baubles is tier 4 complete lockdown?’

Gingster yes, more or less. I’m really hoping it doesn’t come to that.

GrannyOwl5 Wed 28-Oct-20 09:33:03

Good morning everyone from north Kent where it is dry and bright, but suspect that will change during the day.
DH has shot off to the allotment to do a few bits before the rain comes and I am left in charge of the washing machine; not sure if I am up to the responsibility! May have a visit from DD and two GSs later and might have a wander in the park across the road to indulge in a bit of conker hunting.
The main excitement for the day is the arrival of the Asda delivery later. Quite a big one this week as have ordered a few extras for C******s just in case of lockdowns although we are still on Tier 1 at the moment.
Have still got the jigsaw and painting to complete so they will keep me occupied; I like to have a “plan for the day” even if it’s something mundane like doing the laundry or sweeping the leaves. It gives a focus to the day and stops me being grumpy and as DH says, anything is better than that!
Lovely to read your post BlueSapphire; great to have you back. Hope those with worries or illnesses have the best day they can and the rest have a good Wednesday. Stay safe