Gransnet forums

Chat

When promises fail to deliver...

(32 Posts)
MawB2 Fri 30-Oct-20 19:03:02

I love a good fish and chips so when our local village pub started offering takeaway fish and chips on a Friday nightI thought “Wonderful.”
Added to the fact that I long to eat anything I haven’t cooked myself, it promised a Friday night of bliss.
Or so I thought.
The prospect of fish and chips was alas, way better than the reality.
I’m not saying it was below standard but just failed to hit the spot.
(Hattie was pleased though, she got half of it)
How often though do we look forward to something only for it to disappoint? Christmas as a child was often like that - not bad but after the build up before hand, just a bit of a let down.
Please tell me I am not alone in this?

Calendargirl Fri 30-Oct-20 19:06:15

“Anticipation is better than realisation”.

MawB2 Fri 30-Oct-20 19:07:23

That reminds me of Fry’s Five Boys Chocolate!
Can anybody tell me the different “stages”?

suzette1613 Fri 30-Oct-20 19:09:57

To travel hopefully is better than to arrive.

This is often so true, the anticipation is frequently most of the pleasure, and l used to find that often spontaneous outings, parties etc were the best.

Marydoll Fri 30-Oct-20 19:12:21

Here you are Maw.

Marydoll Fri 30-Oct-20 19:13:15

Trying again!

Megs36 Fri 30-Oct-20 19:14:33

Maw
Desperation,Pacification,Expectation,Acclamation,Realisation.
FRYS.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Oct-20 19:15:44

NYE celebrations often seem a damp squid. I’ve given up on them now.

Perhaps (like the fish & chips) we don’t realise how high we’ve set the bar!

Grandmabatty Fri 30-Oct-20 19:21:08

MawB how disappointed you must be! I always think the smell of fish and chips from the chippie is much better than the taste. I haven't had a chippie since February and now I really want one.

sodapop Fri 30-Oct-20 19:21:16

Yes holidays and Christmas, always hyped up but so many times don't live up to expectations. Sorry about the fish & chips Maw.

Illte Fri 30-Oct-20 19:25:48

I’ve always found chocolate cake to be less than I hoped for?

Glorybee Fri 30-Oct-20 19:33:05

The first mince pie of the year can be a bit of a let down. I love them and hold off as long as possible as they’re so calorific but once the floodgates are opened . . .
Sainsbury’s bakery pack of 4 were the best I tried last year, I hope they won’t let me down this year!

Callistemon Fri 30-Oct-20 20:31:58

Last week's fish was excellent but the chips and mushy peas not so good. Very few pubs can produce fish and chips as well as the local chippie.

Although the best chips I have ever eaten were in a pub which served triple cooked chips.

It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive, MawB2.

M0nica Fri 30-Oct-20 21:20:05

DD has had a similar experience. She ordered fish and chips this evening via Justeat. Her usual haddock and chips. When she unwrapped the package, there were two pieces of fish inside, although only one portion of chips.

Clearly two orders had been mixed, the downside was that they were cod that she considers to be tasteless. She has put the spare piece of cod in the freezer for another day and eaten her cod and chips, but a bit of a let down, cod and chips when she wanted haddock.

phoenix Fri 30-Oct-20 21:28:04

Can't stand NYE, all that false bon homie, "let's hope this year is better than the last" (if that was true we would all be in an upward spiral of ecstasy)

Although I suppose we can legitimately wish for that this time around.

Still won't be breaking out the fireworks though.

LauraNorder Fri 30-Oct-20 21:37:28

We really fancied a full English breakfast last weekend, having eaten healthily -ish for over a year. Ordered bacon, sausage, black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc., on our Tesco order.
Both felt stuffed and greasy afterwards and won't be tempted again.

LauraNorder Fri 30-Oct-20 21:38:12

Agree about NYE, expectations never met

sodapop Fri 30-Oct-20 21:51:19

I know how you feel LauraNorder I occasionally feel like eating a good old fry up then when its gone I have indigestion and feel bloated. Never learn though I'll probably do it again at some point,

PECS Fri 30-Oct-20 21:56:02

Oh that's miserable. Looking forward to a treat and then it falling
short is heightened atm because of the limitations.

We have a good Chippy 5 mins walk away & have to say we have used them on several occasions since March. DH is not a cook so he often suggests a takeaway to give me a break from thinking of what to make for suppersmile

Lucca Fri 30-Oct-20 22:01:27

NEw years eve.....hate it. For a few years a group of us loosely based on being at university together plus partners would spend new year away somewhere. That was huge fun but one of the group died at quite a young age and the tradition died with him.
I’ve always found NYE makes me sad.

Spangler Fri 30-Oct-20 22:59:27

MawB2 Fri 30-Oct-20 19:03:02
I love a good fish and chips so when our local village pub started offering takeaway fish and chips on a Friday nightI thought “Wonderful.”

Let me take you back to the early 1950's. I was just a small boy but how I loved fish & chips. My grandmother had a fish & chip shop in Ramsgate and during the school holidays I would stay with my granny.

The day started at 6:00am, the potatoes went into the peeling machine, it wasn't electric, it had a hand crank that rotated the abrasive drum. You had to keep checking on the potatoes, any lost flesh meant lost profits.

When the potatoes were all peeled they had to have the blemishes removed. My granny referred to those blemishes as eyes and the procedure was called eyeing the potatoes.

Once done they went into a large, bath-like holder with a solution of white vinegar and water, about one part vinegar to twenty parts water, this prevented discolouration.

By now it would be mid morning and the ice delivery would arrive. There was nothing electric in my grandmother's shop, other than the lighting.

Once the ice had been stored in the walk-in freezer the fish would be cleaned gutted and filleted. You could hold a fish skeleton up and not see a scrap of flesh on it, so skilled at filleting was my granny.

As lunchtime opening approached I would be put to work on chipping the potatoes, this meant tipping them into the hopper one bucket load at a time. This machine was also operated by a hand crank, you had to rotate a handle and watch the chips as they fell into an enamel bucket.

When frying commenced that somewhat pungent smell of beef dripping became the most agreeable aroma as the fat got hot. There were four pans, two large ones for the chips the other two for the fish. It was wonderful.

There's a postscript that you might like. A couple of times a week, a small girl would come in and ask if there was any scratchings. That was the name given to the bits of batter that fell from the fish as it cooked. My granny knew this girl quite well. The child would be given lots of smaller chips, a few scratchings and lots of small pieces of fish, deliberately broken up to look like they were to be discarded. It was quite a meal. My grandmother later told me that the little girl was one of eight children and the family was not well off. I learned that the butcher, greengrocer and other retailers all did something similar. The welfare state was still in it's infancy, this is how the community looked after the poorest of all. It's a lesson that I have always remembered.

I hope that you get the fish and chips that you so anticipated, had you been around in my grannies day the outer wrapping would have been newspaper, it kept a meal insulated in the days before microwaves.

welbeck Sat 31-Oct-20 00:55:34

that is fascinating Spanler.
how lucky you were to have a GM with a fish n chip shop. and to get to stay there too.
what kind of pans were used for the frying.
actually, i think there is still much kindness in society.
look at how many are getting involved now re the school meals in holiday time issue.

Hetty58 Sat 31-Oct-20 01:50:29

I had vegan burger and chips yesterday. It was OKish, not very hot and a bit soggy by the time it was delivered. There were, as usual, way too many chips -so I saved half.

Today, I popped the rest in a very hot oven for five minutes (along with teriyaki tofu) and they were so much better, crisp and delicious!

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Oct-20 02:27:11

New Year's Eve is totally depressing.
Spangler - the delicious bits of batter are known as 'scraps' throughout the Midlands.
And M&S now sell them! It's true!smile

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Oct-20 02:28:47

welbeck - 'a GM with a chippie' - the stuff of dreams!