Gransnet forums

Chat

When promises fail to deliver...

(33 Posts)
MawB2 Fri 30-Oct-20 19:03:02

I love a good fish and chips so when our local village pub started offering takeaway fish and chips on a Friday nightI thought “Wonderful.”
Added to the fact that I long to eat anything I haven’t cooked myself, it promised a Friday night of bliss.
Or so I thought.
The prospect of fish and chips was alas, way better than the reality.
I’m not saying it was below standard but just failed to hit the spot.
(Hattie was pleased though, she got half of it)
How often though do we look forward to something only for it to disappoint? Christmas as a child was often like that - not bad but after the build up before hand, just a bit of a let down.
Please tell me I am not alone in this?

Urmstongran Sat 31-Oct-20 06:56:03

Lovely trip down Memory Lane Spangler - thanks for sharing I enjoyed it!

Nortsat Sat 31-Oct-20 07:31:47

Lovely memories Spangler.

Maw we have had the fish and chips experience, too.
But the one that more frequently disappoints me is coffee. It invariably smells gorgeous and then the taste doesn’t quite deliver.

I also love crisps but very seldom buy them. So for my birthday (as one of my treats) we got a big sharing bag and ate them with wine whilst watching a film. I found it was like eating salty cardboard... and I had so been looking forward to having them... I was surprised at how disappointed I was. Ho hum ...

V3ra Sat 31-Oct-20 07:59:07

I find toast never lives up to my expectations. Other people's always smells so inviting, but when I make it myself it's a let down ?

baubles Sat 31-Oct-20 08:14:49

I often find that with fish & chips Maw, the taste never lives up to the expectation. I actually don’t know why I still occasionally put myself through the disappointment.

travelsafar Sat 31-Oct-20 08:34:00

We have given up on FC from the chippie. Far too many chips and the fish is usually greasy. I now do my own on the rare occasion. We both use to love cake and chocolate biscuits, now both make us feel sick as we tended to over indulge so i just don't bake unless we have a visitor for afternoon tea and i don't buy chocolate bics, just rich tea or digestives.

Auntieflo Sat 31-Oct-20 08:39:15

Some fruit teas are deceiving.
They smell delicious, but taste of nothing but hot water.

I have finally found one that I really like .

JackyB Sat 31-Oct-20 08:54:36

Just to say that when I visit the UK I really enjoy my fish and chips. Not only the anticipation but also the eating. Because it's such a rare treat, I savour it all the more.

I am wondering what the opposite of a "letdown" is. Is there a word for it? For example, you've been dreading cleaning the windows or raking up the leaves in the garden and have put it off. But when you finally roll up your sleeves and do it, it's not so bad really, doesn't really take much time and the results give you joy all afternoon!