Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(66 Posts)
12Michael Sat 31-Oct-20 06:16:22

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, wind and is wet here in Brackley this morning .
Today , Bicester via Buckingham both ways , I want to have a large breakfast in the cafe in today also hoping there maybe a small flea market on.
I will do a small shop and coffee in Bicester as well more gift cards etc.
Then return and watch the Vuelta on TV .
Take Care,
Mick

Gingster Sat 31-Oct-20 08:20:21

Good morning from a blustery Suffolk coast . Gaggles of geese still flying over the sea. In the evening they all fly back. Nice to have a day out! . Lucky things! ?.

Not a bad day weatherwise yesterday, so more tidying of the garden. Clipping and pruning. I moved the rock rose, my DB gave me for my birthday in July as it was looking decidedly sickly. I have lost every plant he’s ever bought me here. He always goes to the bother of asking for shrubs for a seaside garden, but very little seems to thrive here. I’ll try to save it!

Have a lovely day Susan and hope all goes well with the production*Ashcombe*. Little slices of normality! ?

Dh is going to local footie match this afternoon and I will make the Christmas cake. Yesterday’s slow cooked stew was tasty and I will make a curry with the leftovers, so we’re sorted for the day.

I spoke to both my Db’s last night. They are 10 and 8 years older than me, so I’ve always been ‘little sis’. Both of their wives es are poorly, one with progressing dementia and the other with heart problems. Always lovely to chat to them as they are very upbeat and cheery. So many people with problems at the moment. life seems tough.

Let’s keep our chins up and make the most of each day. ???. Take care. ♥️

dragonfly46 Sat 31-Oct-20 08:23:47

Good morning, grey and wet here in Leicestershire but will go back to the Heritage centre today as I saw something there I wish I had bought. It was packed yesterday but I suspect it will be quiet today now we are in Tier 2.

Yes Grandmafrench I think we will be in total lockdown on Wednesday until December. Things are not looking good here.

Hope you have a better day Nortsat. Wine night is always good !

PollyDolly Sat 31-Oct-20 08:24:13

Good morning from a rather wild North East Midlands! I'm planning a crafting day today as I have several projects on the go already, some are birthday gifts for November and the rest are for Christmas.
Take care everyone, stay safe and have the best day that you can.
Thoughts are with those who are feeling unwell or just under the weather.

NannyJan53 Sat 31-Oct-20 08:26:42

Good Morning from a rainy and dull Black Country.

It was quite mild yesterday, so DD and I took the dog a walk round the fields in her village, after we went for lunch in the local with the two girls. We are in Tier 2 now so can only meet outdoors. My 9 year old DGD was bemoaning the fact it isn't going to be a good Christmas as she said ' family usually come over to us' . It is so hard trying to explain to little ones why we won't be having our usual Christmas.

No real plans today, so I suppose housework and ironing, which I have neglected for a while.

I hope your DS's partner and your DS is not too badly affected Gelisajams My DD's school had a couple of cases at the start of half term.

Wishing you all a good day

BlueSapphire Sat 31-Oct-20 08:34:58

Good morning from Northants where it is very blustery, with rain very likely soon. Still sat in bed very cosy and contemplating getting up as I need my cup of tea. No-one to make it for me these days!

Lazy morning reading with either a sausage or bacon butty, then the rest of the day will be spent watching Six Nations rugby, three matches on today; hoping that our Northampton Saints boys do well. Really miss going to live matches, it was a good way to spend a Saturday!

Will rouse myself now and go and make some tea. Hoping all have a good day.

Greyduster Sat 31-Oct-20 08:36:27

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a blowy but slightly warmer South Yorkshire. Another one here who had a bad night; twitchy legs and a head full of what my DS calls “niff naff and trivia” going round and round. DH made a Christmas cake yesterday. It looks and smells wonderful but the proof of the pudding and all that.... he sent a photo to DS who asked if he was going to use it as a doorstop! We’ve removed him from our Christmas present list! Not much doing here today. I have some violas to plant (yours were a bargain Beauregard!), and cleaning to do. Dinner out of the freezer! Have the best day you can, folks!

Pittcity Sat 31-Oct-20 08:36:41

Good morning from Colchester where the sun is shining under a steel grey sky. It feels quite warm out.
Another day of DH's isolation here and it looks like this will be superceded by a national lockdown.
We will be tackling a blocked toilet today. Thankfully we have three in this house....
Note to self that a second loo might be a necessity in our new house.

ginny Sat 31-Oct-20 08:37:28

Good Morning. Very blustery here in N. Bucks.
The phone call I was waiting for yesterday was not good news and we have to wait for an outcome.
Feeling down in the dumps right now but will keep on keeping on as we all must do.
Hope you all can find some ? today.

Anniebach Sat 31-Oct-20 08:54:33

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Annapops Sat 31-Oct-20 08:54:51

Good morning from a very dull County Durham once again.

What a strange trip to Newcastle we had yesterday. After negotiating a one way system we hadn't planned to use ( when did the Tyne Bridge become a bus lane?) to find our multi storey car park, quick decisions were made regarding the purchase of our new backpacks at the shop next door. Coming out of the shop the desire to wander among the shopping areas completely left me. Was I really going to enjoy traipsing around Eldon Square with mask and sanitiser to hand, then look for a place to safely enjoy lunch among crowds of people? It's so sad as I know these retailers need our trade but.......? We were back home within two hours!

A quiet day ahead with maybe a short walk later. And yes Nortsat it's our wine night too.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Auntieflo Sat 31-Oct-20 09:02:27

Good morning Mick, Annie and all, from a dull grey bit of Berks.

I have a bit of painting to do today. Wish I was artistic enough for it to be the 'artistic' sort, but just run of the mill touching up.

We may go out, as there were a couple of things I forgot while out yesterday. I will make a beef bourguinon for tonight's supper , and finish up the bottle of red that we opened on Thursday.

Yesterday DH had a return of the vertigo that he sometimes gets. He stood up, and promptly fell back down, luckily the settee was there and caught him. He seems to be OK so far today.

Marydoll sorry to hear that you are down in the dumps. We love to hear from you, so take good care of yourself.

I am very jealous of your rail trip Susan56, it is something I would love to do.

Ashcombe, good luck for your theatre production.

Now with talk of bacon or sausage butties, I think breakfast is calling, but mine may well be crumpets, a la EllanVannin

To all who are struggling at this time, warm wishes to you all.

Have a good day one and all.

EllanVannin Sat 31-Oct-20 09:07:31

Good Morning All x
Quite blowy but bright and certainly not cold on the Costa Mersey this morning. Windows open letting that lovely air run throughout. Gulls are squawking though so turbulence above.

I was all steaked out at the butcher's yesterday, with a lump of braising steak for tomorrow and I got him to put a cob of rump through the mincer for mince today so nicely sorted.
King Eddies and savoy cabbage with both. That'll keep the wolf from the door !

I don't expect a fun-filled day, but I don't mind as I know my D will be entertaining the children this Halloween and they'll all enjoy themselves as I'd learned that AGS had carved out 3 pumpkin lanterns---one each for them so hope I get some pics of their jollities.

Susan I'm sure you'll enjoy your day on the Settle to Carlisle trip. Those sort of train journey's are magic. I did a pre-Christmas one years ago on the Orient Express. Brilliant. Enjoy x.

A worry for you, Gelisajams, so I hope things aren't too bad in your DS's household.

Thoughts to anyone with difficulties as life is hard enough at the moment without having other worries thrown in.
All have as good a day as you can and enjoy Halloween if visiting families. I'm sure Gilly will make the most of it today x Lins too x

Take care and stay safe ( stomach's rumbling like an old drain here---crumpet time )

Jaxjacky Sat 31-Oct-20 09:12:16

Good morning all from a damp S Hants, more rain forecast, just for a change. Just watching the news, looks like a lockdown is imminent., so, looks like new kitchen on the 9th is at risk, considering others worries, it’s an inconvenience. We did get the new rads and toilet fitted yesterday, some progress. No real plans today, washing and sport on the TV. Sad to hear those of you with worries and troubles, may all of you have a gentle day ?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 31-Oct-20 09:17:54

Good morning Mick and all

Grey sky and strong winds here in S E Essex, heavy rain forecast for later. Is the weather imitating my mood or am I copying the weather??

Keep safe and well folks?‍♀️

Beechnut Sat 31-Oct-20 09:23:37

Thanks Ashcombe. I need to go to Specsavers.

Georgesgran Sat 31-Oct-20 09:27:40

Good Morning from Durham. Grey, overcast and it’s going to rain (again). Such a lot of GN’s are struggling - it makes for sad reading. Will this ever be over?

Annapops description of going to Newcastle is similar to mine - haircut arranged in Fenwicks and I couldn’t get in and out fast enough!! Really thought I’d like a wander and bit of window shopping, but didn’t feel comfortable at all. I wonder if Fenwicks’s Christmas window will reflect the times and pay homage to the NHS?

A distinct shortage of pumpkins here - managed to get 5 tiny ones, so DD1 is on her way over to collect them. Her new housing estate just outside Newcastle usually makes a big thing of Halloween - houses are decorated, but they’ll be no trick or treating this year.

Hope everyone has the best day today. X

GrannySomerset Sat 31-Oct-20 09:29:10

Vile morning with rain being hurled against the windows but we don’t have to go out so probably won’t. DH has three rugby internationals to watch later so today is spoken for.

Washing machine, bought seven years ago, has always been too small and is now behaving unpredictably, so have ordered a new one to come on Tuesday. Am overcome at such wanton extravagance but my life will be easier and after all, I haven’t been spending much on pleasure this year. Lucky to be able to do it.

MawB2 Sat 31-Oct-20 09:50:32

Good morning all from windy N Bucks.
A huge thank you to all those who were kind and supportive yesterday when I was in a dark place - it really did help and I got through the day, forcing myself to go out , a couple of bags to the lovely girls in the Mercy in Action charity shop and a pleasant chat with the friendly lady in the post office. Friendly faces and voices can’t necessarily make the underlying sadness go away but they reduce the loneliness and make us better able to cope .
(Special flowers to Ginny )
Today I plan to blow the cobwebs away with a walk with the ever patient Hattie then settle down with some knitting and the Six Nations.

dragonfly46 Sat 31-Oct-20 09:56:15

flowers for Ginny and Marydoll

Blossoming Sat 31-Oct-20 10:02:26

Good morning from a wet and windy Lancashire. I hope everyone is safe and well.

hollysteers Sat 31-Oct-20 10:03:46

Morning everyone from Windy Way on the west coast. After a ‘busy’ day yesterday, gadding about as far as one can at the moment, I’m going to have a pottering day. I’m looking at a pile of clothes I have emptied out of the wardrobe and will have a sort out. I remember in my teens, just having a few outfits and a couple of going out dresses, well now...it’s rather obscene how much stuff I have and hardly wear. Too much is readily available so of course it’s not my fault!
The weather outside is not a temptation so I will ‘phone my very elderly sister in the South who has delicate health and may even get back to practising the piano. I stopped over lockdown as lost the heart. Also, that nice old fashioned thing, a long handwritten letter. I’m not a fan of the ‘phone or FaceTime really, handy as they are, I belong in the paper and quill era.
Thoughts to the troubled ?

Nannytopsy Sat 31-Oct-20 10:08:22

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
Very blowy in Suffolk and the blue sky has clouded over. More rugby watchers here later. I aim to do some ironing while I watch. I find some standing is less painful than sitting or walking at the moment.
DD is ( or was?) doing to N Norfolk in the camper van next week. They plan to come here on Monday night. We need to buy food but not sure if they will be coming now, if the new lockdown happens.
Gingster my family has just the same pattern, even the same age gaps, and I too am the little sister.
Gelisajams ?for your family.
We are still dozing — another bad night then fall asleep at about 8. Perhaps we should become nocturnal! ( It’s largely due to DH’s new painkillers ?).
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

farview Sat 31-Oct-20 10:09:14

Morning all.Ashcombe Halloween baby here also...my daughter...cant see her as she lives overseas..?...when my husband brought our three sons to the hospital to see her..the youngest one asked if she was a vampire!!!
Take care everyone..let's all keep safe..come back gillybob...?for all who need them ..

harrigran Sat 31-Oct-20 10:18:45

Good morning from a wet and windy NE.
Another disturbed night which resulted in a bout of reflux, decamp to the furthest spare room. I did manage to fall asleep after reading for an hour but slept a bit later than I expected.
My sister is safely back to her German home but is moaning about not being able to eat out for the next month. I haven't been in a decent restaurant this year.
Good news yesterday, DH's 94 year old friend is recovering from the virus, they kindly put him and his wife in the same hospital room.
????

Kalu Sat 31-Oct-20 10:24:35

Good morning all. It’s one of those batten down the hatches days in Glasgow and the stormy weather is to continue tomorrow. Oh joy! The cat was out for a rapid call of nature and shot back indoors, thankfully dried herself off before snuggling beside me on what she thinks is her chair. ?

GD2 and her friends have been having fun preparing for halloween as they have decided to be hippies this year but I’m afraid their plans for a small party in her garden may be cancelled this year. They will be so disappointed.

A weekend of Formula 1 and rugby ahead and some frenzied knitting whilst watching both.

Sorry your news was so disappointing yesterday Marydoll and you are back to shielding more or less. With Wales in lockdown and England to follow, we may be looking at similar restrictions here.

Have a pleasant day all whatever you have planned.