Gransnet forums

Chat

Grandad here!

(107 Posts)
Omits01 Sat 31-Oct-20 11:48:26

Is it dangerous to be a Grandad on this forum? Perhaps there is a chaps forum somewhere then!

Rufus2 Sun 01-Nov-20 06:45:20

Welcome to our forum
we hope you enjoy your stay
And please feel free to be yourself
as long as it's the way we say

Spangler Very good! You're a poet and I didn't know it! grinYou don't happen to be a composer too!?
You could set it to music and then we might have sufficient Chaps to form a Gransnet "Barber Shop Quartet" hmm
I could do with a haircut right now!
Good health
OoRoo.

MawB2 Sun 01-Nov-20 07:01:23

Add comment | Report | Private message | QuoteOmits01 Fri 02-Oct-20 13:06:27
One gets a bit lonely sometimes. How can one safely chat with an online friend? Is there a website that does this for older people (UK)?

Have you tried Silverline

Thank you for reminding me Rufus
I could only find this post on a similar date but clearly on another topic
Stuff Dry October, I’m on a bender till December
(BTW I still am - possibly more than ever.)
But as for popping up sooner or later have I been somewhere?

And as Welbeck says, you have been welcomed by various people since about 6 months ago Omits01 , I hope you are feeling less “new” by now. Have you found Grandad’s Shed yet?

Rufus2 Mon 09-Nov-20 11:57:36

but we do like having some men to banter with
BlueBelle What have you done?
I go away for a few days only to find that other Grandads have disappeared. Are they frightened by your threat to banter!? shock
Let banter commence! I'll go first!
You should know by now that you never end a sentence with a dangling preposition. It looks unprofessional!
If it was me, I'd rephrase your effort to read ".....some men with whom to banter"!
That would also cover "to debate" or even "to berate" if that should ever be your intention! hmm
Here endeth the 1st lesson!
Your turn!
OoRoo

Spangler Tue 10-Nov-20 13:18:07

Rufus2 Mon 09-Nov-20 11:57:36
You should know by now that you never end a sentence with a dangling preposition. It looks unprofessional!

And abbreviations should be avoided. Hence forth Argy Bargy
thread will be known as: The Argentina Bargentina thread.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Nov-20 13:21:33

grin

MawB2 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:02:45

You should know by now that you never end a sentence with a dangling preposition

Ooh you are norty Rufus blushgrinblush!!!

MissAdventure Tue 10-Nov-20 14:18:09

I'm outraged! Staggered, in fact.
The last thing I want to see when I log on is a dangling preposition. grin

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 14:48:58

Well quite. It could cause you to seriously split your infinitive.

Spangler Wed 11-Nov-20 00:13:46

Lucca

Well quite. It could cause you to seriously split your infinitive.

So you probably fainted when you first heard the soundtrack of Star Trek:
"To boldly go, where no man has gone before."

For the uninitiated, The infinitive is: "To go." Splitting it, "To boldly go," is a definite no. no.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Nov-20 03:48:49

Blimey I never realised my preposition was dangling I m going to have a look when I get in the shower this morning ?

Marydoll Wed 11-Nov-20 07:49:04

Spangler, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. (and your friend Mr Google) In a perfectly nice way way, of course! ?

For frustrated, wannabe authors, like myself, a split infinitive may be used for linguistic effect! ?.
The Infinitive police do not a have a leg to stand on, or should that be a leg on which to stand???? Take your pick.

Lucca Wed 11-Nov-20 08:03:49

Agree Marydoll.
“On hearing the latest developments I decided to instantly withdraw my statement “
“On hearing the latest developments I decided to withdraw my statement instantly”

First one sounds better IMO

Elegran Wed 11-Nov-20 08:06:39

The kind of language up with which we pedants will not put.

Spangler Wed 11-Nov-20 08:21:53

Marydoll Wed 11-Nov-20 07:49:04
Spangler, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. (and your friend Mr Google)

Mr. McCardle actually, he was a very good English teacher. Note how I never use, so called, open punctuation. To me it will always be Mr. & Mrs. Abbreviations end in a full stop. Mr. McCardle was also responsible for my love of reading.

Marydoll Wed 11-Nov-20 08:42:12

Glad to hear that Spangler. It was the fact that the example you gave, was exactly the same one Mr Google offered, which made me mention him.

I'm sure Mr McCardle will have also taught you that language is always evolving and what was once deemed unacceptable, may now be in common usage.

I have always found the evolution of language fascinating.

Spangler Wed 11-Nov-20 08:51:10

Marydoll, for what it's worth, I do know that language is always evolving, if I had a mind to I could probably find a split infinitive or two in the works of The Bard.

As for Mr. Google, you might have read my comments about data harvesting on various threads. How I loathe that insidious practice. Mr. Google cannot gather up all my internet activity, profile me and sell it on because I use duckduckgo.com/?t=crhs

Scroll down on the home page and it reads: "We don’t store your personal information. Ever." That's good enough for me.

Marydoll Wed 11-Nov-20 09:02:15

I actually don't rate Google very much, Spangler. You only have to use Google translate to learn that.
However, Google does serve a useful purpose.

As for Wikipedia, my pupils were never allowed to use that for research purposes.

PS. As we don't usually cross swords paths, you are probably unaware that my posts are often meant to be tongue in cheek. Not to be taken too seriously. ?
Frantically checks for errors.

Spangler Wed 11-Nov-20 09:28:52

Mine too, tongue in cheek that is, but my humour often goes over the heads of others.

You are a teacher, you know how to assert your authority, it takes much skill. My headmaster inadvertently taught me a very useful lesson. He would have some miscreant standing in front of him, the headmaster wouldn't say a word. The miscreant would try to blag with a load of baloney. That's when the headmaster would allow his glasses to slide halfway down his nose and then napalm the miscreant with a stare that could melt a polar ice cap.

My working life has been in the distribution industry. The head honcho of some fifteen hundred or so potential miscreants. It was a very satisfying moment when I overheard someone say: "I !&$%ing hate it when he stares at me like that, over the top of his glasses!"

Marydoll Wed 11-Nov-20 09:33:43

Spangler, snap!

My own children feared my teacher look.
My pupils and colleagues knew that if I had a rant about something, it didn't mean much, but when I became very quiet and just stared, they knew they were in deep trouble.

GrannySomerset Wed 11-Nov-20 09:37:44

Or as GD1 exclaimed “Don’t look at me like that, Granny!” Very useful thing to have in one’s armoury.

Rufus2 Wed 11-Nov-20 11:32:05

Blimey I never realised my preposition was dangling I m going to have a look when I get in the shower this morning
BlueBelle Well!? shock

I've been waiting for you to pick up the challenge of a bit of banter as you'd promised!
I'd love to happily have you to jokingly banter with! grin
OoRoo

Rufus2 Wed 11-Nov-20 12:01:33

To boldly go, where no man has gone before
Spangler Now why does that remind me of a joke that probably would even go over your head!?
Not to be repeated here though! Too many teachers around! hmm
Now, take care! I smell trouble!
Unless you've got a state-of-the-art predictive text app you could be passing out dangling propositions unknowingly which could lead to all sorts of breach-of-promise litigations if you don't measure up. grin
Btw; he's Doctor Google!
OoRoo

Marydoll Wed 11-Nov-20 12:10:08

Rufus, you learn some new everyday on GN. I thought he was only referred to Dr. Google, when referring to medical matters.

Callistemon Wed 11-Nov-20 12:18:00

I'm rather partial to a split infinitive, an Oxford comma and, a Cambridge comma.

Spangler Wed 11-Nov-20 12:21:18

Callistemon, how to split the infinitive with hilarious consequences.