Gransnet forums

Chat

Johnny Depp end of career?

(32 Posts)
Shropshirelass Tue 03-Nov-20 07:57:10

So Johnny Depp lost his court case and is now known as a wife beater. I bet he is wishing he hadn’t brought the case to court, surely it will be the end of his career. I have never been a fan of him anyway, definitely not now.

quizqueen Tue 03-Nov-20 11:28:29

Personally, I believe Jonny over Amber. Not one of the women, he has previously had a relationship with, have anything bad to say about him and neither do his children. She, on the other hand, has a track record for volatile behaviour. I'm really surprised at the outcome of the trial. Just because you're a woman, doesn't mean you are the innocent one.

Oopsminty Tue 03-Nov-20 11:33:43

Depp was an idiot to bring a court case against The Sun. Did he have no idea what it would involve?

Of course his career should be over. He's basically been called a wife abuser, is a wife abuser, and in today's society there's no coming back.

Amber Heard is the victim here. But she doesn't come out of this story well either. She was herself arrested some years ago due to hitting a female.

Both of them seem like a match made in hell

However, many famous men over the years have been known to be abusive and have carried on with careers. But today's society is very different and Johnny has had it.

I have to say I've enjoyed a lot of his films. Edward Scissorhands was a masterpiece. As was Gilbert Grape. The Pirate ones were great fun.

But he's made his choice and that's that. He's ruined. Can't see an appeal having much luck

I'd have thought anyone in the public eye wanting to take on a national newspaper might think twice after this.

GillT57 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:18:02

well QQ i find myself agreeing with you. Not one of Depp's previous previous partners or work colleagues reported any violence or abuse whereas Heard has quite a history of unstable behaviour. I am not victim blaming, but why should the woman always be believed? In my opinion, this was a pathetic attention seeking exercise on her part, latched onto by the Sun and nobody comes out of it well. Sleazy lives. This may well harm Depp's career, but I suspect the most damage will be done to hers.

trisher Tue 03-Nov-20 15:01:56

The results of the case here won't matter much anyway there is still a multi-million case pending in the USA.

welbeck Tue 03-Nov-20 17:14:04

i agree with Quizqueen and Gill.
i was surprised by the verdict. i thought he would win the case but with only nominal damages, of say £100, and no award of costs. so he would be out of pocket for bringing the case.
it seemed that one was as bad as the other; her behaviour is erratic, she got him into trouble in
australia for bringing in unauthorised animals.
she was also violent towards him. and he has no form.
i have never seen his films, am not fan, but just followed the case out of general legal interest.

trisher Wed 04-Nov-20 09:56:08

I am struggling with a question. I really can't decide. If you have opinions please post them and your reasons for your answer.
If a woman knows a man has an alcohol and drug problem, if she knows he has been drinking heavily and has just been robbed of a huge amount of money ($650million), if she sets up her phone without telling him to film him as he is kicking a fridge and banging cupboard doors all the time asking him why he is doing it, whose fault is it whan he finds the phone and throws it?
I want to say all violence to women is wrong. But I am wondering if there are women particularly celebrities who are using victimhood to further their careers.