Gransnet forums

Chat

Johnny Depp end of career?

(31 Posts)
Shropshirelass Tue 03-Nov-20 07:57:10

So Johnny Depp lost his court case and is now known as a wife beater. I bet he is wishing he hadn’t brought the case to court, surely it will be the end of his career. I have never been a fan of him anyway, definitely not now.

Witzend Tue 03-Nov-20 08:13:33

Ironic that whoever it was (Dior?) used him in that ad* for Sauvage aftershave.
They must surely be repenting that decision!
*IMO it was a ghastly ad anyway, though I’m well aware that it wasn’t intended to appeal to such as me.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 08:16:46

I'm not sure. He has a very loyal fan base.
His Hollywood Blockbuster days are over, but I think he might ride this.
It is to Depp's favour that Amber Heard is a less than likable character.
If it was someone like Jennifer Aniston he would have been lynched!
Neither of them came out of this well.
(I'm not a fan of either, I'm not a film person - that's just my objective opinion.)

Galaxy Tue 03-Nov-20 08:19:35

I think he is finished. He is just incredibly sleazy to say the least.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Nov-20 08:23:31

Witzend - you'll love this smile
I saw a photo of that SAUVAGE ad taken at busstop.
Some mischievous chap had altered it (it's bound to be on the web somewhere, but I can't do links).

So there Depp was, in all his smouldering, mean and moody glory - and the tinker had covered over the V with an S.
grin

FindingNemo15 Tue 03-Nov-20 08:38:08

I never did see why he was so popular. His hair is disgusting.

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 08:41:22

I hope his career is finished. His attempt to totally deny any responsibility, to put the blame on his victim is typical of domestic abusers.
I hope her career isn't finished but his power in Hollywood remains.

Nagy20 Tue 03-Nov-20 08:52:27

You wonder who on earth advised him to go forward with the case. Will it end his career? He still seems to have many fans but it will depend on whether film producers etc as to whether they want to take a chance on him. Personally can't see his appeal so if I never see him in a film again it will be no great loss.

sodapop Tue 03-Nov-20 08:53:19

I agree FannyCornforth neither of them came out of this well. What an appalling waste of money. I have never been a fan of Depp either.

J52 Tue 03-Nov-20 09:10:02

JK Rowling has cast him in one of her films ( can’t remember the title) aimed at family viewing. She will have to decide to carry on or dump him. Both will no doubt, be an expensive decision.
He has always given me the creeps, since his Jack Sparrow days.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 03-Nov-20 09:35:04

J52 he is the baddy in the first two films of the Fantastic Beasts and where to find them franchise. I think he has already filmed his scenes for the third one.

He plays a pivotal character so I guess the role would have to continue, maybe recast? After all anything can happen in the world of witches and wizards?

trisher Tue 03-Nov-20 09:45:11

He's made some great films- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and What's Eating Gilbert Grape to name just 2. He is a producer as well as an actor now so I doubt it will impact greatly on his career, plus he's 57 so his roles tend to be more character ones anyway.

MiniMoon Tue 03-Nov-20 09:47:11

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is the series of films J52.
Jonny Depp stars as Gellert Grindlewald in the first two, and is supposed to be in the others (5 altogether). Whether he will return to this role remains to be seen.

I've always though him rather creepy.

Grannynannywanny Tue 03-Nov-20 10:10:21

I’m not so sure that it will end his career. Sean Connery is on record as saying it was ok to slap a woman and it didn’t appear to have an adverse effect on his career.

henetha Tue 03-Nov-20 10:17:56

I'm sad that JD appears to have become sleazy as he has aged.
And no man should get away with assaulting women.
But how do we know what goes on with lots of other actors?
He's a good actor, imho, and I'm not sure he deserves to lose his career over this. Half of Hollywood could be out of work if we knew what their personal life was like.

Chewbacca Tue 03-Nov-20 10:18:37

I'm also not convinced that this will end his career. Misogyny is alive and kicking in the world of film, especially in the USA where he spends a lot of his time filming.

Bazwheat Tue 03-Nov-20 10:20:28

Who is Johnny Depp?

FarNorth Tue 03-Nov-20 10:20:48

Probably that fact about Sean Connery was less well publicised.

Blinko Tue 03-Nov-20 10:28:03

Bazwheat

Who is Johnny Depp?

grin the best put down...

jaylucy Tue 03-Nov-20 10:35:44

I have always thought he was a bit weird anyway and the fact that some of the abuse was filmed on the woman's phone made me wonder.
In no way do I condone any abuse of any form , but just suspicious of Amber Heard's motives - I mean, was any of the films used in a criminal assault case before? Or just saved up for this court case.
Whatever, doesn't show either of them up well and he will now become a "could have been " and she will become a "never has been"

Galaxy Tue 03-Nov-20 11:01:50

I would without doubt try to film an abusive mans behaviour. If you dont want to be filmed doing that maybe dont do it.

FarNorth Tue 03-Nov-20 11:11:44

What did you wonder jaylucy?

Why wouldn't a woman try to get evidence filmed on a phone, if she could?

FarNorth Tue 03-Nov-20 11:15:00

This wasn't a court case about whether Depp was guilty of violence.
It was a court case about whether the Sun newspaper was guilty of libel for reporting the fact of him being a wife beater.

lemsip Tue 03-Nov-20 11:17:38

unfortunateley 'the sleazy look' is for his film roles so he has had to keep it! Not a good look though. we judge people by their look sadly......this is regardless of the libel case he lost!
Amber heard done her share of hitting him in the marriage as the case showed Many women hit men and are quite shocked when they get hit back.

maddyone Tue 03-Nov-20 11:17:59

I didn’t like him either, he deserves to lose his career. What an arrogant man! After everything he did he chooses to bring a court case!