Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Cards

(91 Posts)
Nanamar Tue 03-Nov-20 13:27:51

Given the global situation, I know that this is a very minor concern but thought I’d ask for opinions. For the past 7 or 8 years, we have sent photo Christmas cards - pics of us on trips, our DS and DIL and DGS, our pets, etc. This year: 1) no trips except for a brief one nearby for our 50th, 2) DS and DIL are divorced, although we still function as a “family” since it’s fortunately amicable. We do have a pic of the two of us from the day of our anniversary and a few with DS and DGS - none really with ex-DIL. I’m not sure what to do.

Summerlove Thu 05-Nov-20 16:15:35

I love photo cards! I love seeing friend smiling faces put up on my doors.

I’d do one of just you and your husband this year smile

cupcake1 Thu 05-Nov-20 16:41:40

Nanamar ? for you and your family I do hope next year is kinder to you all. Take care ?

maggic Thu 05-Nov-20 16:49:53

Another vote here for charity cards. I ordered mine from www.cardsforcharity.co.uk/
Where there are hundreds of designs from a huge range of charities - all in one place. I received my pack two days after ordering them.

maggic Thu 05-Nov-20 16:55:21

I ordered my charity cards from www.cardsforcharity.co.uk/
Where there are hundreds of designs from a huge range of charities - all in one place. I received my pack two days after ordering them.

Newatthis Thu 05-Nov-20 17:43:58

I can't even look at Christmas cards (or anything Christmassy) this year as I feel so really, really sad when I think of all the people who are out of work, business and many others struggling financially, the COVID situation plus the lockdowns. This time of year I am usually getting really excited and look forward to immersing myself into Christmas, especially as it is my birthday on Christmas Day. This is the only time I get to see all my family DC & DGC together, who are very spread out in different countries, so I really 'go to town' on it. I need someone to give me a Christmas cheer boost and get me in to the Christmas spirit,

mumofmadboys Thu 05-Nov-20 17:51:59

I like getting letters from friends at Christmas and hearing their news Don't mind if it is a duplicated one. What I don't like is a card and no news whatsoever . I enjoy hearing my friends news- both the ups and downs of life.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 05-Nov-20 18:00:34

Never ever considered sending a photo card I’m not a fan of those tbh I would rather buy charity cards and feel that I’m helping them in a small way

Juicylucy Thu 05-Nov-20 18:16:44

I’d suggest charity cards instead. It might be more fulfilling knowing your helping out as well.

dirgni Thu 05-Nov-20 18:42:27

Because of lockdown 2 I have plenty of time so I’ve decided to try and make my own cards!

Lavazza1st Thu 05-Nov-20 19:05:39

I don't send cards to local friends, only to far away friends and family. I bought some special ones back in September that are for specific family members. The other cards will be ones left over from last year and I may make some cards too.

FlotheCrow Thu 05-Nov-20 20:07:08

I make my own Christmas cards with a different theme every year.

DanniRae Fri 06-Nov-20 08:12:04

When I write my Christmas cards if it's for someone that I don't have any contact with during the year I write a quick note in the card saying that I hope they are all ok and that we are all fine. Then any special news. This year it will be that we are to be grandparents again! (Such joy to be able to write that smile)

Yellowmellow Fri 06-Nov-20 08:51:19

I think this is an American style of Christmas card where family photos are on the front of the card.
For the last few years lve just got 'special cards for family and close friends. I then donate to a charity instead of sending cards to far doing relatives etc. Just put a message on Social media saying a happy Christmas to everyone and staring what charity lm donating too.

Nonamedone Fri 06-Nov-20 10:17:18

I'm not sending cards this year my heart is just not in it in afraid.
I usually send charity cards though.

janipans Fri 06-Nov-20 13:09:00

I make my own "Charity" cards each year. I buy the blank cards and envelopes when they in the sales so keep a little stock. Sometimes I do a simple craft card and sometimes I use a photo of a snowy scene or something Christmassy from nature taken locally. For the last couple of years, my step grandaughter has helped me (think glue and glitter on the steeple, trees and graveyard of photos our snow covered beautiful village church!). On the inside I put a message saying that instead of buying Christmas cards, "X" and I had great fun making them and I had made a donation to "Y" charity. I then give a donation (equal to or greater than what I would have spent on buying cards) to the charity I have decided to support that year so it's a win win way of giving (cards/fun activity shared/donation).
Many of the recipients have told me they look forward to getting my cards to see what I have come up with that year. (They could just be being nice, of course!)