Gransnet forums

Chat

Freezing cooked chicken

(37 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 06-Nov-20 14:24:54

I've never done this before, so any advice would be very welcome, please.

MissAdventure Fri 06-Nov-20 17:38:19

All those warnings and temperatures whirl around in my head, and there's a "danger zone", too!

I was worried I would end up letting it get cold, then hot, then settle in that zone.

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 17:44:07

If we are freezing things in bags, Mr P makes a sort of tag from masking tape with a description of the item and the date it was frozen.

If using tubs, then the masking tape sticks to them and the writing lasts.

MissAdventure Fri 06-Nov-20 17:45:58

Ah thanks Phoenix you've told me all the things I was wondering about. smile

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 06-Nov-20 18:13:46

Good advice here. Just a bit of reassurance from me. Once every two weeks I cook a whole chicken then freeze into 3 portions. I also cook a pork casseroles, fish pies, beer in
ale stew quite regularly - enough for 2 or 3 meals and freeze them. The list goes on.

Defrost in fridge and reheat slowly at low temperature.

MissAdventure Fri 06-Nov-20 18:38:16

Excellent!
Thanks all.
I keep nibbling the chicken - hope I have some left to freeze!

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Nov-20 18:45:24

I have a habit of labelling zilch so maybe state if the chicken is cooked or raw. I thought I was going to have spag bol previously cooked but birdbrain discovered the mince was raw so not quite ready for that evening's supper.

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 18:55:01

Oh Charleygirl I've fallen into that trap too, hence labelling!

Witzend Fri 06-Nov-20 18:57:14

I do it all the time, too. Usually in meal-sized packets, which later go into stir-fries, curries, fried rice, etc.
Some of the last lot will soon be going into a chicken, leek and mushroom pie, with lots of mashed potato on top.

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 22:43:04

I always label everything, but all uncooked meat is still in the butchers packaging so doesn't get confused with cooked meat.

My problem is that the adhesive on the modern labels doesn't stick the way it used to and labels come off the packaging, which is why we had pork stew for lunch last week with rice and veg curry. I had thought it was lamb curry.

Witzend Sat 07-Nov-20 08:11:29

I often used not to bother labelling, thinking I’d remember, but of course I’d forget. I now use a fat permanent marker, either on the plastic container, or on a plastic bag (contents wrapped in foil inside.)

It does rub off when needed, for re-using, but I only use abbreviations - dh did wonder what on earth was defrosting on the draining board yesterday - Rat! (ratatouille, made during 1st lockdown.).

Kittye Sat 07-Nov-20 08:32:30

What about freezing raw meat? I’ve bought fresh chicken and meat eg sausages from supermarket and label says freeze and use within one month. Do you think it’s ok to use 2or 3 months later ?