Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you intending to see your family this Christmas come what may, or if there are restrictions will you abide by them ?

(166 Posts)
JenniferEccles Fri 06-Nov-20 16:32:36

It did occur to me that if there are rules in place restricting numbers, that some people might be highly delighted to discover they have a perfect excuse not to have to spend the holiday with a particular family member!

Septimia Fri 06-Nov-20 16:34:45

We shall abide by the rules - but very much hope they will be suffiently relaxed to travel to see the family.

If the rules say we can't visit other people it will get us out of going to Christmas dinner somewhere we'd rather not.

AGAA4 Fri 06-Nov-20 16:38:17

I would like to see all my family but I know this will be impossible this year. I hope I will see those in my bubble but will see what the situation is nearer the time.

Luckygirl Fri 06-Nov-20 16:38:25

"..... going to see your family come what may........."

Sigh.

Nadateturbe Fri 06-Nov-20 16:42:40

Unless we have a vaccine I will do everything I can to keep safe. Even if we are allowed our families in our home, it doesn't mean it's safe.

lemongrove Fri 06-Nov-20 16:45:02

It’s a valid question Luckygirl as plenty of people will be doing just that ( come what may!) Not necessarily on GN of course.

We shall see family on different days so there isn’t a crowd (doesn’t matter what is allowed) so that we can eat something and have a drink together and exchange presents.
If we can’t do so, then we can’t....simple as that.

Judy54 Fri 06-Nov-20 16:45:13

Staying home and staying safe. Look forward to a family get together hopefully in the New Year.

biba70 Fri 06-Nov-20 16:45:28

Luckygirl, yes 'sigh' - not seen our daughters and grandchildren since February- and despair of all those who cannot or refuse to see, that we have to follow the rules if we want to get out of this dreadful mess.

eazybee Fri 06-Nov-20 16:47:21

Follow arrangements made for the bubble, less than six, if this is allowed. If it isn't then I shall do as I am told.

GrannyRose15 Fri 06-Nov-20 16:54:43

biba70

Luckygirl, yes 'sigh' - not seen our daughters and grandchildren since February- and despair of all those who cannot or refuse to see, that we have to follow the rules if we want to get out of this dreadful mess.

Has it not occurred to you that other people have different opinions which are (also??) "supported by the science."

Grannynannywanny Fri 06-Nov-20 16:55:28

If there are restrictions still in place I’ll abide by them. The virus doesn’t recognise public holidays and sadly won’t be lying dormant for a few days over Christmas. I’ll continue as we’re doing to keep my family safe. I would feel very uneasy throwing caution to the wind for the sake of Christmas Day.

LadyStardust Fri 06-Nov-20 16:56:07

I'm looking forward to being a total couch potato this year and will not be seeing anyone other than my live in family! Blissfully stress free for once! I must be a proper Scrooge, as I just don't understand all the angst about 'not being together' at Christmas. We can all be together at some point in the future if we stay safe now. Its just a couple of days after all.

BlueSky Fri 06-Nov-20 16:59:55

Who is going to admit it on here anyway? My family are over the sea and far away, so sadly not me! sad

sodapop Fri 06-Nov-20 17:03:19

I agree LadyStardust we will enjoy a quiet Christmas, we haven't seen our families now for over a year so looking forward to next year.
I think this whole Christmas thing is getting out of all proportion, people are making it into such a focus there is bound to be disappointment.

Summerlove Fri 06-Nov-20 17:05:24

LadyStardust

I'm looking forward to being a total couch potato this year and will not be seeing anyone other than my live in family! Blissfully stress free for once! I must be a proper Scrooge, as I just don't understand all the angst about 'not being together' at Christmas. We can all be together at some point in the future if we stay safe now. Its just a couple of days after all.

I’m with you.

No stressed forced family merriment to make sure everyone but me is happy?

Sounds like bliss

boho43 Fri 06-Nov-20 17:06:05

Looking forward to a stress free relaxing Christmas on our own with no pressure to see family. It’s only one day, but my goodness it can be stressful.
Bring on the sofa, G & T’s, Baileys, Espresso Martinis & lovely nibbles!

JenniferEccles Fri 06-Nov-20 17:07:36

This is the advantage of the extended holiday between Christmas and New Year isn’t it lemongrove ?

We will do as you are - seeing some Christmas day and others spread out over the week depending on the numbers permitted.

Quite a lot has been written and said by people stating that, yes, they will see family regardless of any possible restrictions in place.

Equally well, as I said, others will relish the thought of spending the time quietly on their own.

I’m sure the government is well aware that compliance over Christmas will be very low and impossible to enforce.

Woodmouse Fri 06-Nov-20 17:12:34

I have never agreed with the lockdowns. I feel that we're trying to kill the rats by sinking the ship. However, I will continue to abide by the rules. If we can't get together with our children and their partners then I will accept this and make the best if it.

NotTooOld Fri 06-Nov-20 17:14:38

Really, what is the point of hoping Christmas will be as normal this year? It just won't, so we may as well get used to the idea. I've said elsewhere that Christmas should be postponed until we are out of this mess. No, we won't be seeing our family, whom we have not seen since January. Hard though this is, it has to be done.

Oopsminty Fri 06-Nov-20 17:14:58

Who is going to admit it on here anyway?

Quite!

I did read that the police won't be storming into people's houses breaking up family meals.

lemongrove Fri 06-Nov-20 17:15:53

Absolutely Jennifer which is why we are having a lockdown just now.
It will be lovely to see the family, even on different days, we all want to see each other and I can’t get excited about being on our own ( we have every day to do that, nice as it is.)
So seeing them one small family at a time is the way to go.
I would always accept any rules about not doing so though.

MawB2 Fri 06-Nov-20 17:29:33

There is a reason why such a high% of the population go down with colds and flu in January.
Stop and think why that is.
Then apply the same principle to the transmission of Covid19.
QED

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 17:38:35

I am going to be very daring by saying that what I do will depend on the rules. However I will do nothing that endangers either my health or anybody elses.

Make of that what you may.

AGAA4 Fri 06-Nov-20 17:42:20

I am expecting cases of Covid to rise again in January as there is bound to be more contact between people over the Christmas and New Year periods.
Hopefully the lockdown will get the numbers down before then.

GrannySomerset Fri 06-Nov-20 17:49:15

I agree with Luckygirl and M0nica and see no point in doing anything other than follow the rules. Both our AC and their young are out in the world and a potential source of the dreaded virus, and I would rather not see them at Christmas than risk DH’s fragile health. I think people are being both sentimental and selfish over one Christmas (I note that nothing like the same fuss was made over Easter, a more important church festival) and talking as if there will never be another. There will, for most of us - and more of us if we behave with sense and caution.