Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(80 Posts)
12Michael Sat 07-Nov-20 06:13:38

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its dry and looks cold outside .
A day where I will try locally and get a few booklets of Xmas stamps.
Yesterday , having been unable to obtain a poppy , I did hear a news item as to the Royal British Legion website , where you can purchase a poppy for a donation that way , as there seem to be very few places where you have trays .
Under normal circumstances , I have gone to Bicester and the local RBL branch have had a stall in the main pedestrianised area, and stall in Sainsburys .
Quiet day , fry up for a change breakfast wise , Cycling on from late morning .
Take Care,
Mick

Beechnut Sat 07-Nov-20 06:21:09

Good Morning everyone. Dry and very dark outside on Severnside.

I wrapped up my potted olive tree yesterday. It’s too heavy for me to move to the greenhouse.
Today I’m going to swop over to a higher tog quilt and put up winter curtains in the dining room. Should be a reasonable day so hope to get out in the fresh air and do something in the garden.

Have a good day all and stay safe ?

grandMattie Sat 07-Nov-20 06:29:05

Good morning. Another bright dry day in E Kent.
Yesterday, I followed my usual curiosity in finding out the etymology of words. Shampoo was the target. To my astonishment it comes from a Hindi/Sanskrit word meaning massage, flatten. More interesting was that “chapati” has the same root! Fancy that,
I had a sudden urge to make a lemon drizzle cake to DH’s delight. I haven’t been baking much as there didn’t seem to be a point.
I wanted sauerkraut for dinner last night but our jar had a bbe of 2017. DH refused point blank to consider eating it. I would have gone ahead. After all, it was sealed and it IS a preserved food. So no sauerkraut for us.
I hope that those in distress or pain have a gentle day. Stay safe.

Bellasnana Sat 07-Nov-20 06:49:52

Good morning Mick and everyone. The weather for the Maltese Islands is partly cloudy and it looks like next week might bring some much needed rain.

Mick, I haven’t been able to find any poppies for sale either.

Had a lovely day yesterday, did a lot of walking then watched some tennis from Paris. Decided I was going to be cheerful and it worked!

Not planning to venture out today so shall do a bit of laundry and housework, then settle down to watch the tennis at 2pm.

Hoping you all have the best day you can. I know it can be a struggle. ☀️

cornergran Sat 07-Nov-20 06:53:46

Morning Mick, morning All. It looks dry in our corner of Somerset, cloudy this morning. A catch up day for me. Admin this morning and I’ll finally get to weighing out the Christmas cake ingredients this afternoon. I’m hoping Mr C will remove what seems to be half a beach from the car. Not his favourite task though. Take care everyone, stay safe. Hope Saturday is kind to all.

NanKate Sat 07-Nov-20 06:54:12

Good morning Mick and All.

Cold cloudy day in prospect in South Bucks.

I too like the origins of words GrandM. Perhaps you know that the word Posh comes from sea travellers travelling from Britain to India would find stamped on their ticket Posh to denote Port Out Starboard Home. This also showed where the shadier cabins were dependent on which way you were going.

Popping round with an orchid and card for one of our WI members who is 95+ today. I will stand at a distance singing Happy Birthday. She is as stylish as ever and will no doubt come to the door looking a million dollars, how does she do it ?

Hugs to all who need it on Mick’s lovely supportive thread.

NanKate Sat 07-Nov-20 06:55:45

Hello Bellasnana. See you virtually for the tennis this afternoon. ??

grandMattie Sat 07-Nov-20 06:56:58

NanKate, I did know that. It originated on the Orient line, for the journeys through the Suez Canal... I also went out with one of the “O” of P&O family when I first came to England! He dumped me ?

Nannytopsy Sat 07-Nov-20 07:00:44

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
It’s a lovely morning in Suffolk and today I was awake in time to see the apricot sky that is often mentioned on this thread! I am determined to get out and do a bit in the garden today. I have lots of bulbs to plant, including some tulips from Sarah Raven. The onions and garlic need to go in too. It all depends on this blooming knee.
Since post offices can stay open Mick, perhaps you can get your stamps there?
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Pantglas2 Sat 07-Nov-20 07:02:49

Morning all from a dry north Wales where I’m about to enjoy the chamberpot........☕️?

Reading about Ginny making four dozen mince pies made me smile as that’s the same number I made t’other day - not that there’s that many in the cake tin right now, you understand.....?

Some housework today as we’re all being released from lockdown on Monday and I intend making the most of distanced coffees and lunches with friends and family over the next week, weather permitting and the forecast is dry for the foreseeable.

We can enjoy masked ?face to face natters as well as supporting local businesses- so sad to see everything shut in Conwy?

Have a safe weekend everyone x

Greyduster Sat 07-Nov-20 07:21:47

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Best we can say of South Yorkshire’s weather this morning is bloomin’ foggy! I hope you get a poppy, Mick, but be careful with the RBL’s online shop. I am still waiting for a regimental pin that they say was dispatched on the second. Their postal charges are rather expensive for standard delivery and Royal Mail aren’t that reliable so goodness knows where it’s gone.
Nothing much doing today. We had a good walk out yesterday, so an in day today, baking probably. Have a good safe day folks.

Ashcombe Sat 07-Nov-20 07:22:58

Good morning one and all from an overcast but calm Torbay. I’m later than usual to the party after a wakeful night. .

Yesterday on my walk I spent some time in my church, which is open for private prayer, having been Covid secure for some months. We even have a QR code and it works! I’ve included a photo as several of you commented favourably on the various photos included by posters yesterday. The park in the foreground shows the view from my window with an ever changing scene due to the season and visitors, including four legged ones, many being regulars!

You all sound like you have productive days planned. Mick: post offices are open and Christmas stamps are now on sale. I’m pleased to see that they’re religious in design. Sorry, can’t help re poppy sales. ☹️

Wishing everyone as happy a weekend as possible, with relief from pain and worries.

Pittcity Sat 07-Nov-20 07:26:00

Good morning from a brightening Colchester. Doesn't seem as chilly as of late.
I ordered a bag of poppies from the RBL online. They were free. The idea was that I gave them out and the recipients donated online. Trouble is that I haven't seen anyone. I've donated though.
I will also order my stamps online as I'm steering clear of unnecessary shopping. Can't be doing with another fortnight of isolation due to track and trace.
We're viewing a bungalow today as house selling is going ahead through lockdown.

Sar53 Sat 07-Nov-20 07:26:17

Good morning from a dry but cold Essex by the sea.
Our car is fixed, great job he's done, you would never know it had been scraped.
DH went out yesterday morning to get a paper and found that something had damaged one of the posts that hold the gates to our private car park. We deduced it had to have been one of the dustcarts that reverse in. We are waiting to hear from Veolia.
Then a phone call from DD1 to say that there has been a positive case of Covid in 8 year old DGD's class and the whole class needed to go home and isolate for 2 weeks. My poor Carys is 9 next Tuesday and was so looking forward to seeing her friends on her birthday. My daughter's reaction 'oh no, more home schooling'. The girl who is ill only has a temperature at the moment, apparently her family are in shock.
Have the best Saturday you can and stay safe everyone xx

Pittcity Sat 07-Nov-20 07:29:18

Greyduster I think the RBL online shop have been overwhelmed this year. I ordered my pin, mask and poppies in mid October and delivery was as expected.

Dwmxwg Sat 07-Nov-20 07:33:40

Good afternoon from a dry north Surrey
Had a lovely walk yesterday afternoon with DS’s partner and DGDs in the double buggy. I am lucky they are only 20 minutes away and have some countryside walks from their home. DGD1 tells me she is having a party today with mummy and daddy- they have dog friendly fireworks (I assume no bangs)
Our dog was very vocal in his banishment to the kitchen overnight. Since he outgrew his crate I have let him have access to our lounge and hall but my sofas are now his favourite bed so the time has come to shut him in the kitchen. He will get used to the idea?
This morning we have another walked planned with said dog to our favourite local area, Virginia Water and fit in an online Pilates session
Wishing all a good weekend

Greyduster Sat 07-Nov-20 07:34:43

The RBL have a Poppy Shop on Amazon, and I ordered a pin from there for GS and got it the next day but they didn’t have the regimental ones, Pitt. I can see how they would be under a lot of pressure this year - very few poppy sellers anywhere.

Ashcombe Sat 07-Nov-20 07:45:19

Pittcity: May I offer advice re online purchase of stamps? I ordered some via the P.O. in the last lockdown for which they charged postage! I think it was £3.99 for sending them! Later, I discovered that Asda would have included them in my online order without extra charge. Presumably, the other major supermarkets do likewise with online orders.

Lins1066 Sat 07-Nov-20 07:45:23

Good morning Mick and all from a cloudy S Welsh coast.
Haven't been able to post all week, such a nuisance. Thank to GNHQ for their help.
It has been a lovely week, the sun and beautiful sunsets have lifted the spirits here. I made my Christmas cake yesterday.
Mr Lins has been busy making a new garden gate which he installed yesterday, the puppy kept pinching his tools and anything else within reach.
Hope everyone will have a pleasant day, stay safe.

Dwmxwg Sat 07-Nov-20 07:46:37

Good morning!!! Probably feels like afternoon due to lack of sleep?

Alygran Sat 07-Nov-20 07:54:09

Good morning from North Yorkshire where it is grey again. It was misty all day yesterday. Shopping this morning. I have a timed entry to M&S so hopefully no queuing.
Village fireworks this evening.
Have a good day everyone and stay safe.

MellowYellow Sat 07-Nov-20 07:56:55

Morning from an overcast south Cornwall. Sorry for absence. I lost my phone, ostensibly on a bus journey, and have no other means of accessing the internet. Bought a reconditioned Samsung and then my phone turned up in the recycling box, where I had already searched for it! At least I haven't lost all my photos. And as my son said I now have a spare phone!

Yesterday the town council took down the bunting outside my window and all through the town, and have strung white fairy lights. They try so hard to make the place cheery.

This lockdown doesn't seem so bad, a lot more shops open, and at least I can bubble with my tinies. The 5 year old is coming for the day today.

I hope for the best of days for all of you. It's lovely to be back! sunshine

ginny Sat 07-Nov-20 07:57:00

Good Morning all. It’s dry and chilly in N. Bucks but no mist today.
DD had some test results back from the hospital yesterday and so far things look promising. More to come though , but a chink of light hopefully.
Yesterday I kept my self busy sewing this cushion. I posted a picture on the family Wattsapp group and immediately got requests for several more, including a snowman and a Rudolph. Better get busy !
Not much planned for the weekend except Face time with each of our DDs and families. Also need to clear the lounge as DH has decided to decorate while he can’t play golf.
Hope you all find some ? today.

Susan56 Sat 07-Nov-20 08:08:54

Good morning from Shropshire.

A quiet day planned with a takeaway later.

DH is making a poppy collage to put in the window.He’s quite an arty sort so I’m sure it will be lovely.

I love words too Mattie and Kate.I wish I had paid more attention in Latin lessons at school.I did a course in Medical Terminology at one stage and it was so interesting seeing how the words were made up.I said to my husband a couple of weeks ago I think I need to study Latin again and concentrate this time!

Sar,my granddaughters friend had a birthday during the Welsh lockdown and the mums arranged a zoom chat and they all sang happy birthday.DGD wasn’t keen but really enjoyed it.It is her birthday in a couple of weeks so if school is closed she wants the same.

Hope Ellan is ok and we here from her later.

Thinking of Grammaretto and her DH and Panache and her DH?

Have the best day you can all and stay safe.

Susan56 Sat 07-Nov-20 08:09:37

Nice to see you back Lins and Mellow???