Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(81 Posts)
12Michael Sat 07-Nov-20 06:13:38

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its dry and looks cold outside .
A day where I will try locally and get a few booklets of Xmas stamps.
Yesterday , having been unable to obtain a poppy , I did hear a news item as to the Royal British Legion website , where you can purchase a poppy for a donation that way , as there seem to be very few places where you have trays .
Under normal circumstances , I have gone to Bicester and the local RBL branch have had a stall in the main pedestrianised area, and stall in Sainsburys .
Quiet day , fry up for a change breakfast wise , Cycling on from late morning .
Take Care,
Mick

Gingster Sat 07-Nov-20 08:15:01

Good morning all and the cold wind from yesterday evening has dropped and the sun is shining. It’s going to be a lovely day. ☀️

Weve taken our canna and ginger lily into the potting shed and cut them down . Orders from Monty last week. They had grown so well , so will pop them back in the same spot in the Spring.

Pittcity I hope your viewing goes well. I don’t blame you staying in Colchester , as it’s a lovely City.
Sar glad youve got your car back but sorry about your GD and her birthday. So sad for the youngsters. ?.

Lovely pic again Ashcombe. How lovely to be able to go and sit in a church for a while. Peaceful and good for the soul. ?. I belong to a ramblers group and we always try to find a church on our walks,
, to go into and find the history and just sit for a while. It’s so therapeutic.

My Gd is now home from Uni. What a disaster it’s been. She had only been there 3 weeks when she had to isolate for 2 weeks, in her room. She’s had no face to face lectures and as her course in Mental Health Nursing, she hasn’t been able to have any practical placements. She came home for a few days and can’t get back because of Lockdown. Goodness know what’s going to happen!

Best wishes to all and have a pleasant day whatever you have planned . ???

Jaxjacky Sat 07-Nov-20 08:16:41

Good morning all from a bright chilly S Hants, particularly chilly as boiler has a red light and saying no, man coming out later. And the downstairs loo, newly fitted a week ago, appears to be blocked! OH has to get w machine out of the house as being picked up later, giving away for free as it owes us nothing. Last kitchen cupboard, with food in, to be emptied today/tomorrow, then all set for Monday. Missing EV and the farm lady? Hope all is well with them and the rest of you today.

Lins1066 Sat 07-Nov-20 08:17:42

Thank you Susan ?

Greyduster Sat 07-Nov-20 08:22:04

I was thinking about the farm lady yesterday, too - I rather enjoyed her posts about their animals.

Urmstongran Sat 07-Nov-20 08:22:19

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga where we have a pale blue cloudless sky and a deep blue Mediterranean to look at from the balcony. However when I open the front door there are grey clouds over the mountains and over to the east above Malaga city. Oo-er. Not sure which side I’ll win out. It’s wet on the ground as we had heavy rain in the night.

Himself will be watching the Man. Utd game on his iPad at 1pm. (Providing the WiFi signal holds up - hope so, I don’t like to see a grown man cry!).

Other than that no plans.

Hope Saturday is good to us all. Thinking of you gillybob as always. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

baubles Sat 07-Nov-20 08:23:46

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire where the sun is shining from a pinky blue sky.

I slept late after several nights when sleep eluded me so I’m feeling more refreshed.

I think today we’ll have a longish walk with the dog and take a flask of coffee to warm us.

Look after yourselves.

harrigran Sat 07-Nov-20 08:29:56

Good morning from an overcast NE.
Can't believe it is Saturday already, the weeks has flown by.
DH has gone to buy a newspaper, that will give us TV schedules and reading matter for the whole weekend.
We used to include stamps with our Sainsbury's order but this week they substituted the twelve first class stamps with four large letter stamps so not very helpful.
DH and I have poppy lapel pins and I have a brooch so we just donate online to the BL.
Noisy evening again yesterday with the fireworks, who decreed that November 5th should last several days ?

aggie Sat 07-Nov-20 08:30:21

Good Morning all, we have a very thick fog here , can just about see the end of the garden

Urmstongran Sat 07-Nov-20 08:31:53

I had my reservations about that farm lady if I’m honest.

Gelisajams Sat 07-Nov-20 08:37:42

Good morning from a dry, calm, presumably cool Morecambe Bay. DH is about to investigate the temperature as he’s off running. I will have my weekly chat with my friend in Somerset shortly.
I got my gardens put to bed thankfully as it is now forecast more rain again next week. I still have the church garden to do, if I can find it for leaves, and mine. My garden usually gets its autumn tidy up in March.
DS1 seems to have turned a corner but I’m keep warning him not to overdo it. He’s always on with some project or other and has never been still.
DS3 managed to move into his new house yesterday. It was supposed to be Thursday but there was a last minute hiccup. He said it was stressful but it’s only taken 8 weeks to move from deciding to put his house on the market. He doesn’t know the meaning of house moving stress!
We would have been in the thick of the move normally assembling furniture, brewing up and keeping an eye on DG.
However we just have rightmove pictures of the inside. We have seen it from outside though.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Grandmabatty Sat 07-Nov-20 08:44:07

Good morning All. It's foggy in Polmont this morning and quite cold. A housework day for me today and I'll head out food shopping soon. I did more Internet Christmas shopping yesterday and some arrived too so that's a good dent in it. I started to tidy up the spare bedroom then dd asked if I wanted a coffee so that was that! I nipped round to see her and dgs. I'm lucky that I'm in their extended household and only stay five minutes away by car. After housework, I'll get back to the spare room then a bit of sewing before strictly tonight. Nice to see Mellow yellow back.

Bellasnana Sat 07-Nov-20 08:44:41

Urmston me too.?

Grandmafrench Sat 07-Nov-20 08:48:46

Good Morning everyone! What a relief - it’s morning. I’ve been unable to sleep due to incredible pain in my leg and hip. Done nothing unusual but through the day yesterday my walking and any movement became more and more painful. Now all I can do is sit. Can’t even turn in bed without a gasp or a whimper. Presumably the perils of age + a small scoliosis of my lower back. Must be patient and today do very little ?

So pleased you are safely returned, Mellow and what an interesting place to keep your ‘phone ?. DH once tried to leave a hefty set of door keys in the village rubbish skip! They empty it every day....he was so lucky. Words, of course, were exchanged and he now tends to put them on the shelf near our front door. Mmmm!

Love the Crimbo cushion, ginny. Very pretty. Love that your little pup is in training to help Daddy, Lins Bet your dog will soon have the RSPCA on speed dial, dwmxwg - enjoy your walk. grin

Sunny and blowy today, but wind from the east and storms are due this weekend in our S of France ?? corner. Two rainy days should be perfect to then re-seed our lawn and finish planting bulbs. Managed to buy some compost yesterday - wonder why we never have any when we want to tidy up and top up all the pots? It always feels like falling toast lands buttered side down, to me. Where’s that bag of compost? Oh #&*....we have none! A conversation guaranteed in this household....

Have a good day, a good weekend and stay safe everyone!
Drop those shoulders, relax and smile. We can do this!

Big hugs from ?? ➡️ ?? + ???????

kittylester Sat 07-Nov-20 08:52:51

Good morning from a misty North Leicestershire.

Not planning a lot for today. Arranging collection for clothes going back and maybe a little gardening but then sitting down with dh while he watches the football this afternoon. For a respectable retired man he knows an awful lot of swear words!!

Spicy chicken wings and Strictly this evening.

Anniebach Sat 07-Nov-20 08:53:14

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

MawB2 Sat 07-Nov-20 08:53:57

Good morning all from N Bucks where it was a bit of a cold night - perhaps that was why I woke up with a dog on the bed!
We are bracing ourselves (well at least I am, Hattie doesn’t know it yet) for more fireworks tonight and then I hope that is that.Pet Remedy calming spray, a “roof” of a picnic blanket over her bed, Yucalm tablets in her food, an early walk in daylight - tried them all with very limited effect.

Saddened by the loss of Geoffrey Palmer, I plan to watch my way through my box set of As Time Goes By while I get on with knitting my throw.
And I wish you all a pleasant day wherever you are.

BlueSapphire Sat 07-Nov-20 08:56:01

Good morning everyone from misty Northants, but the sun is breaking through and will burn it off, I'm sure. I am at DD's, and no-one else in the house is up yet, so I am still in bed. DS-in-law will be up soon to take the dogs out, so then I shall go and make a tea. Not sure what the plan is for today, probably stay in the warm with a good book, and it will be sport of some sort on tv. DD had been planning on taking me to the nearest retail centre this weekend, but obviously that is not going to happen now. So it's online Christmas shopping for me. Looking forward to a breakfast cooked by someone else! We usually have sausage or bacon butties!

I donated to the British Legion via my Sainsbury's online shop this week; they had quite a few options, and items such as tea towels, mugs, etc to buy. I didn't need a poppy, as the last few years I have bought one of the enamel pins, usually from the stall in my local Sainsbury's. Can't believe that the last time I was in Sainsbury's was in March. I am watching out for the Christmas stamps to appear online.

Hoping for a good day for all.

annsixty Sat 07-Nov-20 09:06:45

Good morning all from a lovely sunny day in Stockport.
I expect it is cold though.
I will do another short walk today and may even get to the end of the road.

It is not only the young ones who miss their birthdays in lockdown, my live-in GD is 22 today and is very miffed that her plans are cancelled. She and her friends would have been living it up in Manchester tonight, instead she only has me for company although she is having a walk with a girlfriend later.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Marydoll Sat 07-Nov-20 09:10:34

Good morning all from a foggy Glasgow.

My plans have gone to pot, I'm having one of my poorly days, so still in bed, hopefully it will pass after a few hours.
I'm happy to just lie and read everyone's news, transferred enjoyment! grin. Such an uplifting thread.

I had Chelsea buns rising overnight for DH and DD, but they will just have to keep on rising ! I just don't feel up to getting up at the moment. I think I overdid things yesterday.
Auntieflo, I had planned on trying out that apple recipe posted on another thread, if you try it first, please let me know how it turned out.

I have had books of stamps with my Tesco order, but not much use to those who don't get online deliveries.
All our supermarkets sell stamps at the tobacconist counter, Mick

So pleased to see our missing posters return to the fold.
MellowYellow, I didn't delete that PM about the twigs, so who did? Conspiracy theories abound.
For those who are curious, MY and I bought patio fruit trees form the same supplier, they turned out to be mere twigs. I will be dead before they ever produce any fruit, if any!

Wishing everyone a safe and pleasant day.

Grandmafrench Sat 07-Nov-20 09:11:00

No, not a crowd scene from Ben Hur - but the bottom of our bed this morning. Busier than I would like but Daddy left the door open!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Nov-20 09:11:36

Good morning Mick and all

It’s bright here in S E Essex. Will go to the butchers first thing.
This afternoon I will barricade myself in the bedroom and begin wrapping Christmas gifts whilst watching corny Christmas films on Channel 5 (Mr GG13 will probably find an old war film to watch downstairs)

Thinking of our missing friends EV and gillybob

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

MellowYellow Sat 07-Nov-20 09:12:25

Thank you so much for your kind welcomes back!! flowers Sorry not thanking individually, in a dash now.

GrannyOwl5 Sat 07-Nov-20 09:30:11

Good morning everyone from north Kent where it is bright and sunny.
Tree surgeon was here yesterday and several trees are now sporting new hairstyles whilst three leylandii trees have been removed having served their purpose of screening whilst other shrubs and trees have grown up around them.
Garden day today at Owl Towers; putting it to bed ready for the winter and general tidy up.
Hope everyone has a good day; Grandmafrench hope the leg and hip pain subsides and that Marydoll has a restful day and feels better soon. Stay safe

Auntieflo Sat 07-Nov-20 09:38:15

Good mornning Mick, Annie, and all, from a bright, sunny bit of Berks.
Beechnut, I have 2 olive trees in our garden, and have never taken them inside during the winter. Perhaps we are a bit warmer here. During the lockdowN, one of them has been planted directly into the garden, the other is still in it's pot. I am now waiting to see how they do. I bought them years ago, 2 for maybe £20.00 from Tesco!
Today is bed stripping, exciting or what? But at least the weather is good, so hope it lasts.
Marydoll, please rest and listen to your body, you tend to overdo it at times, and if I get time, I will have a go at Alioops Apple Slice, with a photo?
I will fish out my poppy wreath that I made last year, and put it in the window, and my neighbour nought me a metal poppy brooch last year.
Sad that we cannot worship in Church tomorrow, and as DH resigned from the AV team, he will have no more buttons to push.
Welcome back to those who have been absent. To all those struggling, gentle hugs and best wishes. Gilly especially.
Have a good day one and all.

hulahoop Sat 07-Nov-20 09:39:47

Morning from misty West York's hoping it lifts have bedding washing at moment like it to blow outdoors so fingers crossed .stay safe everyone ..