Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(81 Posts)
12Michael Sat 07-Nov-20 06:13:38

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its dry and looks cold outside .
A day where I will try locally and get a few booklets of Xmas stamps.
Yesterday , having been unable to obtain a poppy , I did hear a news item as to the Royal British Legion website , where you can purchase a poppy for a donation that way , as there seem to be very few places where you have trays .
Under normal circumstances , I have gone to Bicester and the local RBL branch have had a stall in the main pedestrianised area, and stall in Sainsburys .
Quiet day , fry up for a change breakfast wise , Cycling on from late morning .
Take Care,
Mick

Annapops Sat 07-Nov-20 09:51:55

Good morning from County Durham all.

A very late start to the day until "what's app" started buzzing. It's that birthday time of year. So many close family members condensed into the next two months. We're on a group chat so trying to organise birthday and Christmas presents all at the same time can be a bit of a nightmare.

I too put on my walking shoes yesterday

Annapops Sat 07-Nov-20 09:53:42

Oops, message sent without completing! Have the best day you can everyone.

GrannySomerset Sat 07-Nov-20 09:56:00

Grey and still this morning but OK to plant yesterday’s delivery of bulbs from Sarah Raven. I have overbought this year and am struggling to find places for these but I’ll squeeze them in somewhere. Certainly makes spring something to look forward to.

Sorry that Marydoll is feeling rotten and hope that a restful day (is that possible?) will restore her. Concerned not to see Ellan posting, and as always sending good wishes to Gillybob if she is lurking.

HAZBEEN Sat 07-Nov-20 10:02:53

Good morning from sunny (but cold) Heathrow!
Not a lot planned today except I got my new tablet and Fire stick yesterday but didnt have time (or the patience) to set them up yesterday so that will have to be tackled.
Best wishes and hugs to all and if you are reading EV hurry back I need to know your menu plans!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 07-Nov-20 10:04:58

Morning all from a foggy and chilly South Notts. Have the usual quiet day planned with the giant crossword, feet up.
Mick - I managed to get a poppy from my local branch of Sainsburys at the counter where they sell fags and lotto tickets. Also got some Christmas stamps at a small Post Office at the other end of the High Road.

Well Pantglas you had to test those Mince Pies didn't you? Quality control is what I'd call it.
Ginny and Auntieflo your respective Christmas pudding and poppy creations are beautiful.

For myself I am trying to knit a pair of socks. Why not buy them you may ask? Those in the shops are either black, white or grey and I want brown but they don't seem to exist except for the very thick 'hiking socks' which aren't what I had in mind. I'm not trying to be difficult! The leg bit was all right but for the heel I'm getting into a right old tangle but I am determined to prevail. A YouTube video was helpful.

Hope all is well with everyone, especially those with illness or worries. Best wishes to you gillybob and others missing in action.

maydonoz Sat 07-Nov-20 10:06:51

Morning all from sunny and bright Welwyn, Herts.
Just managed to get our flu jabs, there was a queue but my goodness the Nurses were flying through, very efficient and all done outdoors.
Also found out our road that was closed for a week,? gas leak is now open and bus routes are back to normal, hallelujah!
I've got a meat stew in the ow cooker and leak and potato soup on the hob, that's weekend food sorted.
Am thinking of buying a new duvet for winter as the one we're using feels a bit light,maybe 15 tog would be suitable, have to check.
Have a good day one and all as we do our best to follow the guidelines and stay safe.

Nortsat Sat 07-Nov-20 10:07:09

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London, where it is bright and cold. I saw a Robin this morning, on one of the bird feeders ... when I went out to replenish them. It’s a lovely start to the day, spotting a robin. Of course I didn’t have my phone to take a photo, because I was in the garden in my dressing gown and slippers!

Glad to see Mellow back, with only a phone mishap accounting for her absence.
So sorry to hear that you are dealing with such painGrandmafrench ? The foot of your bed looks much like the foot of ours ... just a different bed cover.
I was thinking about the farm lady too. I note the concerns raised ?
Wishing Maryd and Gillyb a good day.

Film night for us tonight and a takeaway. On line grocery shop today. The wretched shielding continues ...
Have a pleasant day all and those who are bubbling with family have a lovely time. Let’s be careful out there. ?

maydonoz Sat 07-Nov-20 10:08:33

Sorry that's meant to be slow cooker

mancgirl Sat 07-Nov-20 10:09:24

Good morning from sunny Manchester. Got washing in the machine but being sunny doesn't mean it will dry it! Got my poppies, poppy cross, stuff for the gc from Aldi. I put the cross on the cenotaph each year. Something my mum did in memory of a cousin. I never knew who he was but have continued the tradition even though mum died in 2008. Usually get 4yo gs1 to do it with me. I thought the farm lady was genuine! Have a good day everyone. flowers for those with extra cares and worries. Hi Gilly if you are reading. Come and just say hello if you want to smile

Oldbutstilluseful Sat 07-Nov-20 10:20:33

Good morning from a sunny but chilly N Hants. I’ll take a stroll for a paper and then try to save a very unhappy cross stitch I’m working on.

Totally agree Urmston. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice shame on you springs to mind.

I wish everyone as good a day as possible, with special thoughts for those in pain and suffering from melancholy ???

CherryCezzy Sat 07-Nov-20 10:21:50

Good morning everyone. It's sunny and cool here in the Gower and there are little white puffs in the sky.

I bypassed yesterday morning, I woke up so late that by the time I had sorted myself out everyone else must have been thinking about lunch ?

I'm another one interested in the etymology of words grandMattie. I have an old (ish) dictionary called The Dictionary of Words & Etymology which is rather the worse for wear. My Roget's Thesaurus has virtually disintegrated too, perhaps that should be my Chr.....s present request this year ?

Annapops almost all my little family have birthdays between mid November and New Year's Day. With the firebreak taking place here in Wales I haven't even started on presents for birthdays (but I do have cards) let alone even considered Chr.....s yet!

Good to see you back Lins and you too MellowYellow

Let your bodies do the talking today Grandmafrench and Marydoll, rest, relax and generally take it easy ??

I haven't even had breakfast yet this morning and my stomach is rumbling now so I'd better go and sate it ?

Be kind to yourselves everyone and stay safe ❤️

Blossoming Sat 07-Nov-20 10:37:03

Good morning all, cool and bright here in Lancashire. I need to sort out some personal paperwork today and make sure my diary is up to date with medical appointments.

Keep safe and well.

LauraNorder Sat 07-Nov-20 10:39:06

Good morning Mick and all from dry, bright and still Anglesey. We are still enclosed in scaffolding and covering with windows covered in blue plastic to protect from the lime render which is taking an eternity to apply. Havent seen the beautiful view from our windows since July. It does get me down sometimes especially as all the rooms have a blue haze thanks to the plastic, however I know there is a lovely view to look forward to when it’s all done.
I enjoyed the posts from sheepandcattle, she was very knowledgeable about farm practices, hope she comes back.
Sorry that some of you are in pain and second the advice to rest if that’s what your body is telling you to do.
Sounds as though everyone is keeping busy and remaining cheerful.
Have a good day all.

Janburry Sat 07-Nov-20 10:39:37

Feeling silly but can someone decipher some of the initials bring used, it's mainly the D I'm confused about, examples; DH DD's D's ?
Having a relaxed day today

Stilllearning Sat 07-Nov-20 10:49:06

Morning from S Lanarkshire, cold but bright. Still plodding my way through restoring everything to their correct places after the painting was finished. As I’m doing a much needed clear out as I go this will take some time. I’m also taking Bellasnana’s tip and deciding to be cheerful. Grandmafrench when I read your post I did lower my shoulders and will continue to check them!
Definitely a walk this afternoon, have a good day everyone, glad there was no big problem Mellow

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 07-Nov-20 10:55:49

Good Morning all from grey Harrogate - I'm optimistic, I've got a wash on. After reading GN I shall have to make my 2nd Xmas Cake (for DD1) who usually hosts us for Xmas dinner, it's my contribution along with Xmas pudd and mince pies.
I'm envious of those who can post pictures, it just doesn't work on my workbook.
Hope you are still resting, Marydoll when (if) you get to reading the late posts!
When I had an appointment at the hosp on Tuesday, the ambulance station there had poppies, but since the man behind the screen refused to acknowledge my presence, I came away empty handed!!

Hope today is a better day for all

NannyJan53 Sat 07-Nov-20 10:59:27

Good Morning from a bright and sunny Black Country. There is a chill in the air, but it is warm on our patio at the back of the house.

I got up early, but then put washing on, dishwasher on, then vacuumed etc and before I knew it half the morning had gone.

Hopefully go for a walk this afternoon while it is dry and sunny. Will make a Spag Bol for the freezer later as well.

Good news from my young friend (ex work colleague). She has recently divorced (not good news), but she managed to buy him out of the house, so now it is all hers. A big relief as she desperately didn't want to lose it.

Thinking of my Dad as Remembrance Day approaches, he fought in the 2nd World War, in the Armoured Car Division, and was badly injured being shot through the neck! He never talked about it, I only know what Mum told me. I often wondered why he had a big scar there. He was only 17 when he joined up

Hope you can take it easy today Marydoll and feel better as the day goes on. Concerned too that EV hasn't posted recently. Loving thoughts to Gilly so hope she is ok.

Wishing you all the best day possible

LauraNorder Sat 07-Nov-20 11:10:55

Janbury I think the D is for darling as in darling daughter, darling husband, etc. I have noticed other half OH doesn’t have darling in front, would be confused with Homer Simpson DOH ?

Grandmabatty Sat 07-Nov-20 11:12:45

Popping back with whisky toddies and linament for Marydoll and Grandmafrench. If that doesn't work then ?. Off to strip the bed now I've been out shopping.

brook2704 Sat 07-Nov-20 11:15:15

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s another lovely dry autumn day but very chilly out there. A late start for me as the wifi was down earlier so I’m just catching up on all the news now.
grandmafrench sorry to hear about your painful leg and hip - it’s even worse I think when these things happen and you’ve no idea what’s caused it .. hope it’s better soon though
And of course everyone else feeling a bit poorly, especially marydoll hope you’re up and about soon and feeling much better ..
We had a lovely long walk yesterday around Boat of Garten near the Cairngorms, beautiful scenery and a picnic wrapped up warm beside one of the lochs - really enjoyed it. Today though is back to the garden, I’m just about to go out and see what needs doing
Janburry as far as I know the D stands for darling or dear ..
Hope everyone is managing ok with the lockdown restrictions and take care whatever the day brings ?

Feelingmyage55 Sat 07-Nov-20 11:20:26

A cold and frosty morning here in the North of Scotland. I am avoiding shops and only have online deliveries but yesterday had to put petrol in the car. Oh the joys of petrol station shopping for once. It has some M&S stock so I have treats that I haven’t before at all. It’s the little things!
Today I have a zoom quiz and a lot of tidying up to do. First I am going for my local walk. It was just too cold this morning.
Commiserations to those in the sick bay. If you are passing the time watching tv I can recommend “The Twelve” on channel 4. Thinking still of gilly. Have the best day you can.

Taichinan Sat 07-Nov-20 11:28:16

Good morning all from another glorious day on the Angus coast. More cloud about today, but so mild. I'm very late to the feast and there are 65 (!) posts to read, so I"ll have to do that later. I'm sitting watching skein after skein of geese joining together to land in the field beyond the field behind the house - they must have spotted good grazing there! And there must be nigh on 500 geese partaking of it! A joy to watch.

I have nothing planned for today. As we're only Tier 2 here there's nothing to stop me going out, but really I'm quite content being "in aboot" and will probably just go and sit by the garden pond to soak up some vitamin D. I must also have a WhatsApp blether with the family and decide what I'm going to eat. Might have a bit of steak for a Saturday night treat with a G&T and Strictly. And of course a good read if the GM thread. There - sorted!

Have the best day you can everyone. Sending healing hugs to all suffering pain and poor health ???

Georgesgran Sat 07-Nov-20 12:43:51

Good afternoon from a bright Durham.
I think my first post must have run off with my marbles, as both seem to be missing!
Can you remember The Never Ending Story - where The Nothing threatens to take over?
Bit like that here today with only an Indian takeaway to look forward to later.

Bella & Urm - I hadn’t been lurking on GN long when the Momma Wolf thing was revealed - it’s sad how some people need to get their kicks? Think some were taken in by the recent ‘airborne fashion accessory’ who seems to be keeping a low profile now!

Plenty of poppies up here - just the boxes, no sellers - so need to look for them, but since everywhere is ‘card only’ now, friends and I have empty purses. Donation online this year.

Hope everyone has the best day today - special thoughts for our usually upbeat GN’s who are unwell and feeling low. X

GrandmasueUK Sat 07-Nov-20 12:53:51

Good morning afternoon Mick and all who follow from a dry Greater Manchester. I've been up for ages but just done a bit of pottering so far.
OH is still asleep. He works from home and the other day he worked from 9 am to the following 6 am. I think he is now making up for lost sleep.
I have a few C......mas presents to wrap and a chicken curry to make for later.
Family Facetime this evening I hope and then Strictly. I'm loving Bill Bailey's enjoyment of the dance. He was on 4 programmes on tele this week and I'm also reading his book. I don't think I'm a stalker!
Hope everyone with ills or worries has as peaceful a day as possible. Stay safe. flowers

Grandmafrench Sat 07-Nov-20 12:56:01

Janburry welcome! Yes, as others have said on here - or look at the top of the page under ‘Acronyms’. You’ll find most of the abbreviations there. To all kind souls sending good wishes, I can confirm that my hip and I are still sitting about and taking it easy. We have high winds and masses of rain due - thunder before lunch - so my #lazygran attitude today will hardly be noticed. ?