Gransnet forums

Chat

Harry laying a wreath.

(214 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 09-Nov-20 10:57:47

I read he asked for a representative to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph, but courtiers refused, as he is no longer a representative of the RF.
It was said the Queen wasn't informed.

I do feel sorry for him. Even though he must have given the choice he made considerable thought beforehand.

Does anyone know if perhaps he made a symbolic 'wreath laying' on line?

Obviously thats about all he could do given Coronavirus and his new life!

Anniebach Tue 10-Nov-20 10:43:48

It was a photo shoot

Ellianne Tue 10-Nov-20 10:50:01

From the photographers own website.

Lee Morgan is an Afro-American/Brazilian photographer, raised in New York, and currently residing in Los Angeles, California. He specializes in fashion and celebrity portraiture.

Watch out, he also takes nudes too!! (Oops, sorry!)

merlotgran Tue 10-Nov-20 11:08:21

A photo shoot is a term for a pre arranged, posed photograph, taken by a professional.

Ellianne Tue 10-Nov-20 11:15:55

Yes, merlot
prearranged so you can choose the best location, the best time of day, your best clothes
posed so you can stand in the best positions, showing off your best features or attributes
professional so the photos can be tweaked, air brushed or even photoshopped

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 11:23:17

MawB2

I am usually cynical, but think this time H and M did the right thing. I am sorry he wasn’t allowed a representative to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph on his behalf, perhaps on behalf of disabled servicemen given his involvement in the Invictus Games.
The RF takes no prisoners does it? Once you’re out, you’re out.

Forgot to say - good post MawB2

merlotgran Tue 10-Nov-20 11:33:50

Not sure I'd want a relative of mine's grave used as a background for what is really a publicity shot.

Meghan's PR team must be rubbing their hands. 'Doncha just love gullible suckers?'

maddyone Tue 10-Nov-20 11:46:35

In my very humble opinion, Prince Harry couldn’t have laid a wreath at the Cenotaph, nor have had a wreath laid on his behalf, quite simply because he no longer represents us, the people. The wreaths that are laid at the Cenotaph are laid on behalf of us all, or to represent particular organisations. Harry doesn’t represent us now, by his own choice and therefore he can only represent himself. He chose to do that in LA which is fine, except that a celebrity photographer was commissioned to take photographs of the occasion. The decision to do that was undoubtedly a mistake.

trustgone4sure Tue 10-Nov-20 11:49:04

Agree easybee.

Callistemon Tue 10-Nov-20 11:50:05

I'm not normally a vociferous critic of Meghan and Harry although I am disappointed that they have taken the path they have as they could have been an asset to the RF.

However, they are making some mistakes in their PR decisions and this was one of the worst.

merlotgran I agree.
If the publicity shots are anything to go by, this seemed to have been done without any dignity, without real thought for the family of the serviceman whose grave was chosen for the photo.

trisher Tue 10-Nov-20 12:27:53

Had they not taken a photographer with them they ran the risk of being snapped and followed by some chancing paparazzi. Given Harry's history I would think that's the last thing he could stand. Have a professional and you have absolute control of the photos.
Perhaps he wanted to send a message to all the people he served with and all the service people he has met and supported that he had not forgotten them.
How's this for using war graves for a publicity shoot?

Anniebach Tue 10-Nov-20 12:30:05

How much lower will they sink for publicity, surely nothing
lower than posing among graves , now they disgust me .

Luckygirl Tue 10-Nov-20 12:31:22

I guess that, no longer being able to be at the cenotaph, Harry wanted to make the point that he still cares about remembering the dead.

If he had done nothing he would have been criticised; and doing something also draws criticism.

Namsnanny Tue 10-Nov-20 12:32:39

lemongrove

What a load of high horse rhetoric from some GNers.
Some of us think that it was a typical photo shoot opportunity from the former royals......some think it perfectly fine and dandy of the former royals.So far so good,
It’s our own opinion after all.What spoils this is the way that the high horse brigade lambast others for their views.
Harry and Meghan are attention seekers par excellence.....the very last thing they want is ‘a quiet life’.

Once again, hit the nail on the head!grin

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 12:36:50

Had they not taken a photographer with them they ran the risk of being snapped and followed by some chancing paparazzi. Given Harry's history I would think that's the last thing he could stand.

How on earth would taking their own photographer stop some chancing paparazzi from taking photos?

That's the thing with paparazzi ... they don't tend to care

As for posting the photo of the Queen?

What are you trying to say? Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand your point

The Queen is Head of State for many countries.

It's what she does

Harry opted out, which is fine. If only he could remember that this is what he wanted.

He doesn't represent the RF.

Anniebach Tue 10-Nov-20 12:37:03

No longer choosing not to be at the Cenotaph, big difference to not able to be at the Cenotaph.

Luckygirl Tue 10-Nov-20 12:38:38

But if they had not taken a cameraman with them no-one would have known he did it! - and people would have come down on him like a ton of bricks for doing nothing! They simply cannot win.

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 12:38:53

Should have gone to Specsavers

Is that Princess Anne?

She represents the RF as well

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 12:41:13

Luckygirl

But if they had not taken a cameraman with them no-one would have known he did it! - and people would have come down on him like a ton of bricks for doing nothing! They simply cannot win.

I don't understand this reasoning

Had Harry not cropped up I'd not have thought he was dreadful at all

He's opted for a private life which I fully respected. He's the one that's changing the rhetoric

I doubt very much that people would have come down on him like a tons of bricks

Most people don't really care about them!

Anniebach Tue 10-Nov-20 12:54:29

The photograph trisher kindly posted ! Was of the queen
on an official visit to France for the 50th anniversary of
D Day 6th June ,

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 12:55:51

Anniebach

The photograph trisher kindly posted ! Was of the queen
on an official visit to France for the 50th anniversary of
D Day 6th June ,

Thank you Anniebach!

eazybee Tue 10-Nov-20 12:57:51

But if they had not taken a cameraman with them no-one would have known he did it! - and people would have come down on him like a ton of bricks for doing nothing! They simply cannot win

Why would we need to know that they did it? They have asked to be private people, therefore their actions are for themselves alone. And Meghan's awfully good at suing for infringements of her privacy.
If they stopped making so many public announcements about themselves most people would not give them a second thought, in Britain anyway.

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 13:00:58

Anniebach

How much lower will they sink for publicity, surely nothing
lower than posing among graves , now they disgust me .

Yes, you said.

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 13:01:41

Luckygirl

Another lone voice in The wilderness.

merlotgran Tue 10-Nov-20 13:22:56

But if they had not taken a cameraman with them no-one would have known he did it!

grin grin

Anniebach Tue 10-Nov-20 13:24:18

Yes Lucca and will say it again ,

‘How much lower will they sink for publicity , they disgust me ‘