Gransnet forums

Chat

Lockdown Children.

(145 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 10-Nov-20 09:31:21

Listening to the radio news, seems children are regressing in many ways, including forgetting how to use a knife and fork, and going back to wearing nappies.

This apart from their actual education.

Iam64 Thu 12-Nov-20 20:51:21

Cherrytree59 you are so right to point to the 'ordinary' parents , rather than the more vulnerable groups.
In our friendship/family groups it was usually the mothers who were working from home with father's out in the workplace during that first long lockdown.

WFH with a 2 year old and a 5 year old, out of school and nursery and grandparents unable to help as they usually would have. No wonder eating with cutlery and cooking three meals a day wasn't top of the agenda.
No wonder some children became anxious with their lives turned upside down

Musicgirl Thu 12-Nov-20 21:19:56

I am64, l realised after my reply.

glammagran Thu 12-Nov-20 21:27:00

My DGD2 is currently being potty trained aged 2.25 years. It’s going very well but requires constant vigilance. It would be impossible for my daughter to do this while she is WFH 3 days a week so thank heavens for GP’s and nursery 1 day a week. I completely understand the difficulties faced by some parents however. You are not going to say in the middle of an online meeting “Sorry, my small daughter needs help on the potty”.

Summerlove Thu 12-Nov-20 21:49:42

Working mothers have had the world on their shoulders more during this year than others.

It was expected that men would work and women would do work and childcare.

Have so many older women slate them makes me so disheartened.

Most of us are not in their shoes, and in all normal cases really should not be critiquing them and calling them “bone idle”. What a slap in the face.

If their is Blame for lazy parents, maybe some here should look at their own parenting...after all gransnet is the generation who raised today’s parents.

Sarnia Thu 12-Nov-20 22:01:07

Grannybags

I was shocked to hear that on the news this morning. What is happening at home for them to forget? Surely it is not the schools responsibility to toilet train children

It may not be happening at home. They might find the school environment challenging because although they are back, it isn't school as they have known it. I don't think it is a case of toilet training but goes deeper than that. Children seem so resilient that we don't always appreciate that they too can get stressed and one of the ways it can show itself in younger children is by regressing in being clean and dry. I find it all incredibly sad and I am very concerned for their future wellbeing.

Susiewong65 Thu 12-Nov-20 22:07:13

Speech is another area that more and more children are failing to grasp at a young age.
The number of Reception children requiring Speech and Language intervention is on the rise year on year.

Callistemon Thu 12-Nov-20 23:05:54

glammagran
You are not going to say in the middle of an online meeting “Sorry, my small daughter needs help on the potty”

That reminded me of the gem of a moment when the new Shadow Chancellor was on a video link from home being interviewed by, I think, the BBC. It was all very serious then her small daughter gatecrashed the interview.

tictacnana Thu 12-Nov-20 23:13:22

I’m not surprised that some children have regressed. It’s a sad fact that a lot of parents think it’s a teacher’s job to ‘bring up’ their children. As an EY teacher I was often criticised for not taking responsibility for toilet training, table manners, arranging doctor and speech therapy appointments, hospital visiting etc. I was also called ‘LAZY’ when a parent discovered that her 4 year old son couldn’t read The Sun newspaper after 3 whole weeks I’m my class! My Mum wasn’t a qualified teacher but we could all read before we started school and had reached all the reasonable behavioural milestones. It’s parenting that has
regressed due to an inability or desire to take responsibility.

Gwyneth Thu 12-Nov-20 23:22:42

I feel very sorry for EY teachers who have to cope with toilet training etc. It is the responsibility of the parents. Teachers have enough to do teaching basic skills such as reading. It seems to me that some parents are able to absolve themselves from any responsibility for their children and pass it on to schools.

Chewbacca Thu 12-Nov-20 23:24:52

It’s parenting that has regressed due to an inability or desire to take responsibility.

Apart from that being a judgemental and ill informed comment, it's also just plain wrong.

tictacnana Thu 12-Nov-20 23:43:41

I base my judgement on experience and , even though this does apply to all parents ( of course not... that would be daft) it is evidential. What else can it be ? Reading this thread that states that children NOT in school are now back in nappies. Whose responsibility is it to maintain toilet training during lockdown? I’d say parents.You obviously don’t think so.

Susiewong65 Fri 13-Nov-20 07:03:57

Agree with you tictacnana as someone who still works in a school I see a small percentage of parents who appear unable to parent their children property.
Table manners are non existent, children unable to toilet themselves properly, unable to dress and undress themselves, unable to speak properly etc etc
This is mild neglect and these parents very often are referred to a parenting course to learn the skills they may not have been part of themselves !!

Gingster Fri 13-Nov-20 07:37:41

I. CAnt understand this. All my 8 GC benefited from being at home with their families, during lockdown. My DD is a single mum with 4 children. Dg 18 who has gone on to uni, twin boys of 14 and. 5 yr old Dg. They weren’t doing school work all the time , but enjoyed keeping fit, cooking and baking, walks in the countryside. 5 yr old doing craft and puzzles, learning to ride a bike. Teachers have told mum that she is streaks ahead of some of the children in her reception class. What have some of these families been doing? Reverting to nappies. Can’t hold a knife and fork? For Heaven sake. ?

Galaxy Fri 13-Nov-20 07:47:16

Have you read the thread gingster. As many of us working in this area have explained, a quite common reaction to stress is regression. Crikey it's a well known phenomenon for older children to regress slightly when a new baby in the house. Some of these children will have had an extremely stressful lockdown, I am glad your experience was positive but that was not the case for many many children.

Iam64 Fri 13-Nov-20 08:36:45

And so it continues, sweeping generalisations, cold, critical, judgemental comments.
SusieWong sees a small number of parents who seem unable to parent their children properly.... This is mild neglect and these parents are very often referred to a parenting skills course to learn skills they may not have been part of themselves!!. What would you prefer to happen SusieWong?

Galaxy - I do wish some posters would RTT before making comparisons with their own fortunate families and the children and families who do need state support.

FarNorth Fri 13-Nov-20 09:28:19

It's not uncommon to see someone on a thread talking about their own experience with seemingly no understanding of anyone else's.
Even when an OP asks for advice on a specific question, there'll be a few replies just rambling on about themselves.
I suppose those people have a very limited view of life, and they can't help it.

Gwyneth Fri 13-Nov-20 09:41:39

What does RTT mean?

suziewoozie Fri 13-Nov-20 11:58:32

RTT means read the thread.

Mistyfluff8 Sat 14-Nov-20 04:03:50

Yes you see parents busy on thei mobile phones .How hard is it to say