Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(88 Posts)
12Michael Thu 12-Nov-20 06:10:59

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but looks dry and cold outside .
Usual day some housework , wait for post , I did watch some cycling last late afternoon on Eurosport from Bulgaria euro track cycling apart from competitor's ,and team support no spectators gave it a very dull atmosphere , nationally team numbers appeared to be low as well .
Take Care ,
Mick

MellowYellow Thu 12-Nov-20 08:03:57

Morning everyone from south Cornwall, where the sky is a pretty blue with apricot stripes. Makes me yearn to go further afield but hey ho of course I won't! Well, made my Christmas cake yesterday, finished at 11pm. It's full of ginger and nuts, yum. I'm truly not a baker so an achievement for me.

Today I must make myself press on with sorting my workroom so I can get concreting and generally messing around. I talk about it more than get on with it at the moment, I notice.

Scentia, my youngest son babbled a strange language until he was well past two. Also didn't walk until was 2 plus, crawled everywhere at 100 miles an hour. He grew up fine!!!!

The best of days to all you lovely people.

Susan56 Thu 12-Nov-20 08:04:06

Good morning from Shropshire.Looks a bit brighter today.

We are going to set up an Amazon fire stick on the tv in the living room today.We have cancelled sky as we very rarely watch anything on the sky channels so hope the fire stick is straightforward to set up!

Scentia, our DGD was slow to speak but like your DGS understood everything.She will be five next week and doesn’t stop talking now!

Dragonfly, thank you for the news about Ellan.So glad she’s ok?just need to hear from gilly now.

Cherry,I hope you had a restful night and are feeling better today?

Sar,hope you get your insurance claim settled soon.

Urmstongran,I used to plough through any book I bought but like you if a book starts to become a chore I give up on it now.Hope your DD starts to feel better soon.

Grammaretto?

Thinking of all our absent goodmorningers and all with illness or worries.

Have a good day all.

Taichinan Thu 12-Nov-20 08:04:18

All the talk up thread of car MOTs reminded me that I had mine done yesterday. I told the garage that they might as well service it while they had it, but when he brought it back to me he said he hadn't done so because I'd only done 4,000 miles since the last one and it didn't need it. I'm always impressed by that man - he could so easily just have done it anyway and earned himself more money. It's just a wee 'back street garage'.

Nannytopsy Thu 12-Nov-20 08:04:21

Good morning Mick and all his followers. While I have been catching up on your posts, the clouds have parted and we have quite a bit of blue sky in Suffolk. It must be cooler though, as the bedroom radiator has come on.

I hope to carry on gardening- there are still bulbs to be planted. DH has a shed to sort out, to make room for a small chest freezer. Nothing very exciting.
Our new dentist seems to know what he is about and certainly knows how to charge. We signed up for a payment plan pronto when the bill was over £2000 for fillings etc!
Have a good day everyone!

Jaxjacky Thu 12-Nov-20 08:13:24

Good morning all from a grey S Hants, it poured yesterday evening and windy but calm now. Day 4 of kitchen refit and boiler now on the blink. I got my letter yesterday to register for state pension next year, straight on it! I’ll walk later to post garlic to our friends in the New Forest as I can’t drop it in. Up early tomorrow to bagsy Christmas slot with Tesco. Ashcombe Stig, watch out! Pittcity how exciting.
Have a peaceful day all.

Greyduster Thu 12-Nov-20 08:15:54

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. The sun is trying its best to put in an appearance in South Yorkshire. We are planning a trip to the bank and a walk this afternoon, followed by a quick doorstep visit to DD and her menfolk. I made trial run mince pies yesterday so will take some over. Now all I need is the freezer space to store some more. It’s full of soup we don’t feel inclined to eat! Have a good safe day folks.

Gingster Thu 12-Nov-20 08:16:54

Good morning from a bright Suffolk coast. It got very cold and windy last night but it’s a bit calmer this morning. I always worry when we go back to Essex as we have the Orwell Bridge to cross and if it’s very windy they close it. I’m always glad when we’re over it . ?

Little pooch ate a birds fatball yesterday . The ones with green netting around it. She ate the lot, netting and all. We couldn’t get it away from her. I’m just hoping it will come out the other end and not cause her any internal problems. She’s fine at the moment. ?

pittcity good luck with house hunting. You’re in a good position now.

dragonfly hope the radiotherapy goes well today. You seem to be getting through it without too much discomfort. Thank goodness.

I hope Marydoll had a better night with no weird dreams.

Thoughts to all with upset, worries and illness. ???

cornergran Thu 12-Nov-20 08:22:26

Morning Mick, morning All. Clear skies over out corner of Somerset so yesterday’s postponed walk is on the agenda for this morning. Mr C ploughed on with the task list. Me? Err, nope, just hadn’t the oomph once the dust removal was achieved. Sounds as if we won’t be seeing our bubble-son this weekend as planned, too much covid in his office for his (and our!) peace of mind. So far he says he feels fine. As ever thinking of all with worries of any kind. Take care out there.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Nov-20 08:22:57

Good morning Mick and all

Bright blue sky, sunny and mild here in S E Essex!

We had some troubling news yesterday, one of our sons MIL has tested positive for Covid and her husband is awaiting the results of his test, she has underlying health problems. They have been so careful, working from home following all guidelines.

Sar53 I do hope your insurance problem can be sorted out. I have a cross stitch ready on its frame since April, I really must make a start!

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Gingster Thu 12-Nov-20 08:23:11

mellowyellow I’m dying to know what you make with your concrete? ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Nov-20 08:24:47

Gingster our children used to love going over the Orwell Bridge, our GC are just as enthusiastic.

Alygran Thu 12-Nov-20 08:28:13

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s bright and breezy today. Some ironing to do this morning and catching up with our charity chair this afternoon as she needs to hand some documents over. She will come into the conservatory from the garden.
Reading on FaceTime with DGS after school.
Hope everyone has a good day.

MellowYellow Thu 12-Nov-20 08:36:31

Gingster, I make sculptures of figures so I create the bases from concrete to make them very stable. It's really simple, I just make a shape out of cardboard lined with parcel tape and set the 'feet' of the sculpture into that.

Nortsat Thu 12-Nov-20 08:47:24

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a currently sunny east London.

Urmston I share your dilemma of getting part way into a book and it looses its appeal. I am currently reading ‘10 minutes and 38 Seconds in this Strange World’ by Elif Shafak.
A friend gave it to me as a birthday gift. She really enjoyed it and did it at her Book Group. I feel I should persevere, but it’s not really working for me.

I am planning to cook duck for my partner’s birthday next week, as we cannot go out. So the delivery from the butcher arrived yesterday and as he unpacked it, my partner picked up the duck and said ‘Oh that doesn’t look good’.
So much for the nice, surprise birthday dinner.

I have bought him a pair of Nike running shoes, as his main birthday present. They were delivered a couple of days ago and what a song and dance it was, to get them indoors and upstairs hidden, without him suspecting anything. I had to make up a whole story about having bought myself some shoes and not wanting to bother opening them, just yet (as if...).

Dragonfly glad to know EV is okay.
Good morning gillybob if you’re reading.
Good wishes to all facing challenges today and ‘let’s be careful out there’. ?

Nortsat Thu 12-Nov-20 08:57:56

Popped back to say that I hope FannyCornforth has good news from the hospital today and that her DH is making progress and is comfortable.

Anniebach Thu 12-Nov-20 08:58:17

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

LauraNorder Thu 12-Nov-20 09:02:10

Good morning Mick and all from a dry and slightly breezy Anglesey. No builders again today, they seem to turn up when it suits them. We were told the scaffolding would be coming down on Friday but still two gable ends to do so anticipating yet another week.
Feeling like a mole living without natural light since July.
When it’s a windy night the covering crackles and we liken it to sleeping in a crisp packet.
Glad to hear that EV is okay. I do enjoy her interesting tales from near to my old neck of the woods.
Sorry to hear that some of you have Covid positive connections, seems more scary when it’s closer to home.
Sorry that Marydoll is suffering badly, hope you soon feel brighter.
Good wishes to all going through cancer treatments, recovering from operations or feeling generally unwell.
Little ones seem to talk when they’re ready and the late talkers to be the chattiest of all once they do start.
Have a good day everyone.

harrigran Thu 12-Nov-20 09:05:02

Good morning from a NE that is starting to brighten.
It was very wet and windy during the night.
Watched Berlin 1945 yesterday, harrowing but I felt I needed to see it. My BIL was a child living in Berlin when the Russians marched in, he never told me about his life at that time but my sister has since told me and it is very sad.
Cards ordered online have not arrived, have been told by Amazon to claim a refund. I think some of the smaller companies must have shut up shop during lockdown.
Never mind I will write a letter instead of sending a card.
Stay safe.

MawB2 Thu 12-Nov-20 09:08:47

Good morning all - looks like another lovely sunny day - if colder.
Spent an enjoyable 2 hours (!) catching up with a sort of cousin yesterday in a local country park over a hot chocolate. The cafe had fenced off the outdoor picnic tables but we found a bench and sat there instead. I don’t quite get the logic of withdrawing picnic table use, but ours not to reason why.
Window cleaner has texted to say he is coming today and as if that wasn’t enough excitement I have an Arts Society Webinar lecture this morning (no idea what but I’ll enjoy it) and Architecture this afternoon (Gaudi) so a full day ahead!
Wishing you all well, I hope Mr Cornforth has good news and will soon be home and that we see EV again soon.

hollysteers Thu 12-Nov-20 09:17:07

Good morning Mick and all from breezy north west coast.
Workers on scaffolding on the house next door have ABBA on a loop, yesterday it was the Beatles. Nice neighbour apologised for banging and noise, but I don’t mind at all, nice to have sounds of life during lockdown.
Bubbled son coming over today, I always have a little list of jobs for him, he’s very practical which I appreciate, being arty farty myself?.
Now to eat an overripe avocado. Now I’m on my own, I always seem to be catching up on food before it is out of date. Never happened with a house full.
Thoughts to the troubled and I will enjoy reading through all the posts later.

Gelisajams Thu 12-Nov-20 09:22:36

Good morning everyone. It’s been raining here in Morecambe Bay just for a change. It didn’t rain this much when we lived in Cumbria I’m sure. It was much colder and drier strangely enough.
After not really changing much for a few years cars really seem to be a new generation. It’s now easy to see how they will become self driving in the future and all electric. I often wish my father who was a motor mechanic could see how things have developed. I suppose he would be a technician these days.
It’s surprising how too much time on the iPad can seep into our sub conscious and then haunt us during the night. Also how addictive it is. I must make an effort to spend less time on it and do something more constructive. I’m crocheting a blanket for DS2 and it’s not growing fast enough. Think it may be next winter he gets it at this rate. On that note DH is asking if I’m exercising this morning so I’d better go.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Georgesgran Thu 12-Nov-20 09:23:12

Good morning from Durham - dry and sunny! Nothing planned for today and no doggies to look after either. Garden Centres here are open, but their cafes are not. Friend’s Mother whipped into Hospital yesterday so going to have a street chat with her later - they are almost estranged and she doesn’t want to be dragged into the situation.

My DGS has speech problems. Bright as a button but well behind the rest of his class at Nursery and he’s the eldest. I hope it will come ‘all at once’ but not sure.

When DD2s hand controlled Mini was re-called for work she’d been told there was a courtesy car available, but when she got to the garage they knew nothing about it. A quick phone call sorted it - The brand new S class Mercedes parked outside was the courtesy car - she was almost too frightened to drive it!

Hope everyone has the best day today. X

GrannyOwl5 Thu 12-Nov-20 09:40:35

Good morning everyone from north Kent where there are blue skies and sunshine although a bit chillier. Much nicer day; the grey dismal days are very depression -inducing.

Not a great deal planned for today. Will take my exercise walking down to meet DH at the allotment to inspect what he has been up to - but the highlight of my day will be tracking down a smell wafting out of the fridge. We have spent a while sniffing at everything, but so far have not found the culprit, so the fridge will have to undergo a deep-clean which will hopefully do the trick and the the offending article removed.

Glad to hear that EV is ok; I miss reading her posts. Hope all COVID warriors are doing well and getting better. Best wishes to all under the weather, having medical appointments or looking after poorly people.

Have a good day. Stay safe

Grandmafrench Thu 12-Nov-20 09:41:49

Good Morning everyone. Lovely sunshine and blue skies ....etc., here in South of ???‍♀️

Took it easy yesterday...again..and back is now close to normal. DH went and collected my emergencies only analgesics from the Pharmacie, courtesy of my efficient Dr. Wonder how many years it will take me to finish this box, but feel better for having them there.

Yesterday evening arrived before I realised that - in true Lockdown Lamebrain mode - we’d both forgotten to take car in for booked major service! Just as well we’re good customers...the garage is a little gem. Amazing how, with all the car-related stories on this thread, I still couldn’t make the connection. ?

Do hope that if I pull back some heavy- fringed theatrical curtains, organise a big drumroll and maybe a bit of ‘smoke’, you are going to magically re-appear today, Ellan, telling us, ‘Ta Dah!”, all is well in Ellan country.

Praying for better news for you, Fanny and some relief from your stress. You sound as if you’re coping well, dragonfly - but what else would we expect from you - have a good day. Grammaretto ? Nortsat can you ‘phone a duck fancy dress hire shop and get a turkey suit for that disappointing ??
If you can’t get joy from a book, Urms, definitely move swiftly on ......too many books, so little time. ? (and yes, that’s possibly a bookworm.)

Don’t sweat the small stuff, today, dear GM’ers. Enjoy your day doing what suits you and push worries, stresses, niggles and concerns away for just long enough to take a break and re-charge. Deep breath and a Scentiasmile. Keep going and keep safe. (((((Hugs))))) from the South ????

Urmstongran Thu 12-Nov-20 09:57:37

we liken it to sleeping in a crisp packet that made mi giggle ‘LauraNorder*!
?